Here what it is like at an Alternative State Quarantine 'ASQ' hotel in Bangkok

Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) Hotel visit in Bangkok with Vice Consul Derek Johnstone from the British Embassy

Ever wondered what it is like to spend two weeks in an Alternative State Quarantine facility in Thailand?

As part of Thaivisa’s ongoing partnership with the British Embassy’s Consular Team, Thaivisa MD, Dan Cheeseman was recently shown the quarantine facilities at the Lancaster Bangkok.

This vlog answers a lot of questions and misconceptions about the ASQ Thailand initiative.

In the video, Dan speaks to Martin Hurley, the GM of the Lancaster Bangkok, and Dr. Burin Nuchniyom, Deputy MD for Piyavate Hospital, both of whom give a fascinating insight into their organisation’s respective roles in the quarantine process.

Dan also spoke to Vice Consul Derek Johnstone from the British Embassy Consular who himself has gone through the quarantine process in Thailand.

Bumrungrad  is also offering rooms for quarantine.  Received an advertisement yesterday although I am in country as I never left. The rooms look super deluxe although somewhat expensive? About $2600 to $5600+ usd all inclusive. Other hospitals also offer. My friend found one for 45000 baht at another hospital. Lots of options now. Just getting a COE is the hard part.

Very informative video, thanks for sharing. I would definitely go with the bigger room. Still don't understand the no alcohol. They could limit the quantity. Still can not understand why people don't wear masks. It's not much of a burden and shows some concern for others.

Edited by mackayae
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Why not ask returning expats who have been through ASQ for their opinion of their quarantine experience, as the ASQ experience does vary a bit from hotel chain to hotel chain, depending on their normal quality standards and their interpretarion of the Thai government requirements.

My experience

1. ASQ room was 65 000 baht for 15 nights and that was a mid priced ASQ. It wasn't a total ropoff as it includes food and 33% of the price was for hospital services, including the covid tests.

2. Room was 54sq meter with washing machine, coffee maker, microwave etc. Room was very adequate for quarantine and comfort.

3. Food choices were Thai or Western and vegetarian option. The food quality was quite poor jn my opinikn, though some other ASQ people liked it.

4. Gym was off limits regardless of testing negative twice, as was the swimming pool.

5. Room housekeeping was very good after test 1, though it was limited to the number of times they would clean per ASQ stay. Consumable housekeeping items were readily available on request.

6. Additional food items were delivered via my wife ordering 7/11 deliveries.

7, No alcohol allowed.

8. Some ASQ don't allow access to balconies. My ASQ said cannot open window. My balcony had a sliding door, so I used that as it wasn't listed as an item not to open, 

All in all the ASQ was ok, but you definitely feel more like a detainee than a regular hotel guest.

I would have rather quarantined in my condo but I appreciate that self isolation has been proven to have people who breach the quarantine.

I do appreciate being home with my wife after an 8 month unfortunate separation period.

Cheers

no alcohol thats a bummer

Good report - thanks guys.

I escape from Auscatraz next Monday and start my 15d ASQ in LOS then.

SWMBO left last week (she is Thai) and is doing normal State Quarantine - staying in nice 4 star hotel (Free). Her only complaint is too much food as well.

Only issue so far has been the bedbugs! Nice! 

Very good video, and if I was to chose Bangkok for my quarantine, I am much better 

prepared than I was.  I actually am hoping that there is a beach side hotel

in Hua Hin that is an ASQ site, as I prefer to have the sound of the ocean

for my 2 weeks of quarantine.  Cheers

Geezer

On 10/22/2020 at 6:17 PM, jomtienisgood said:

Are you talking about yourself??? I drink almost every day, including lock-down, doesn't turn me into an idiot...  

But thats the problem they dont come with a warning sign, I dont either but I also dont have a problem going for lengthy periods without it either.