Have never had TM30

I've lived in Thailand for 34 years. Initially I was on an extension of stay for marriage, then my wife died and I had to do visa runs for a year because of income requirements. My last entry to Thailand was August, 1997, when I turned 60 and was able to extend for retirement. In all this time I've never had a TM30, and Immigration has never asked for one, whether at Soi Suan Phlu, Chaeng Wattana, or Nakhon Sawan. Several years ago they did require a Thai citizen to guarantee that I was living at the address on my application, but as far as I remember my niece just signed in a space on the extension application form.

Anyway, my niece and her husband have bought a plot of land and have received a bank loan to build a house there, so I will be moving next January or February. The officers at Nakhon Sawan Immigration are friendly and helpful, but I get the impression from Thai Visa that the higher ups are unforgiving. Is my niece or her husband likely to suffer a severe penalty if they don't submit a TM30 after we move to the new place? Also, is that submitted to Immigration, or to the nearest police station? I'll still be using the same Immigration Office, it's just about fifteen minutes further away.

• Like 1

You may be asked for a TM30 form now since you will be changing your registered office. There would not be any backdated penalty for one not being done in the past. Do it within  24 hours of changing your address and there would be no fine.

• Like 1

I went for several years at my condo without seeing a TM30, despite departing and arriving in Thailand several times a year. I think some IO finally caught up when I went for an extension. No big deal, I think a couple of hundred baht to the agent fixed it.

Rather redundant, because the 90 day report lists the address.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They don't appear all that bothered at the moment.

I've been here 11 years and just got my first one at Chiang Mai immigration.

I just played the elderly slightly demented old foreigner card, and while they wondered why I've never had one before, just did me one.

Kind of like what my friend did when they first started enforcing 90 day reporting in, I think, 1998. My friend said he went to Soi Suan Phlu and just acted as if he didn't understand and smiled, smiled, smiled, and they finally gave up and passed on the ฿2,000 fine.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 6:10 PM, Acharn said:

Kind of like what my friend did when they first started enforcing 90 day reporting in, I think, 1998. My friend said he went to Soi Suan Phlu and just acted as if he didn't understand and smiled, smiled, smiled, and they finally gave up and passed on the ฿2,000 fine.

If I remember well they started to enforce it after an Immigration Officer in Phuket was making some extra pocket money with this "forgotten" rule. Must indeed have been around 98 and than it stopped again after a couple years.

On 10/21/2020 at 6:02 PM, BritManToo said:

I just played the elderly slightly demented old foreigner card, and while they wondered why I've never had one before, just did me one.

I just played the elderly slightly demented old foreigner...

Was it difficult?????

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2020 at 6:02 PM, BritManToo said:

Wouldn't have been too much of a stretch mate? ????

For the first 8 years I was here, I never was asked to do a TM30 report. Then after the Erawan shrine atrocity, I was questioned about my wife not reporting me  for staying at her house. The helpful officers then did a 90 day for me...no penalty or fine. After that I registered to do it online. It's not rocket science.

• Haha 1

A few quick questions.

If someone changes address, all that needs to be completed is the TM 30 by the new home/condo owner?  The TM 28 is no longer required?  Does a TM47 with the new address need to be completed immediately, or just when normally due? 

Edited by Old Croc

5 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

If someone changes address, all that needs to be completed is the TM 30 by the new home/condo owner?  The TM 28 is no longer required?  Does a TM47 with the new address need to be completed immediately, or just when normally due? 

Most offices will only want the TM30 report for a change of address. Some might want both it and a TM27 or TM28 form.

• Like 1

I know at least one other expat who has been here for at least 12 years and has never filed a TM30. He regularly laughs at other expats who file these. I take no chances. His track record would seem to indicate that TM30 is a sham, but others swear they've been fined for failure to file. He has lived in Pattaya since moving here and is now married to a Thai woman. If he spends the night away from home, the room is paid for by his wife and the room records her Thai ID number. He claims he is never asked for his passport when she handles room rental.I've done this on only one occasion and the desk clerk waved me away and pointed at my girlfriend when I tried to show my passport. They don't really want to fritter around with paperwork unless it's necessary. The Thai willingness to skirt the law, has always amused me.

• Haha 1