Extension To Non O, Based On Marraige

Some details first.

I'm a British citizen, 49 yrs old in Aug who's been married to a Thai national for coming on two years. I currently have a multi-entry Non O, issued from Hull on 21st Sept 2006. Expiry date 21st Sept 2007. My current entry stamp permits me to say until July 1st.

I follow this board daily and thought I was pretty au fait with the paperwork that was going to be necessary to get a year's extension. As some documents will have to come from England and I need the letter from The Embassy confirming my income, I decided to pop into the local Imm centre this morning to make a final check of what I'd need to support my application.

All went well and there were no surprises until it was categorically stated that I needed to show the minimum 40K per month being transferred into a Thai bank account.

I asked three times whether the Officer had got that correct. She even went and dug out some old applications (I didn't see how old, ie maybe prior to Oct 1st) but all of them had the letter from a Thai bank confirming the income over three months and copies of the relevant bank book details.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a letter from my Embassy (which they'll give, I've called them already) was sufficient to demonstrate the minimum 40k income. I didn't think that the money had to be transferred into Thailand any more (for income).

Can someone advise me if the information I was given today is correct? Everything I've read on this forum suggests it isn't.

If that is the case, can I go up and apply in BKK at Soi Suan Plu? That might be an alternative if my local office continues to possibly misread the new regulations.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I have more than twice the minimum income, but it's just far easier for me to leave it in the UK as I have a business to run there (namely, my property). My wife and I live on what we need month to month through ATM withdrawals. Some months 45k, some months 35k. Leaving it back home just makes my life so much easier in terms of property management - although not, by the sounds of things, a Thai visa extension.

It is my understanding that it is Income, not income to a Thai bank but................

How are you and your wife living if you do not have that income??

That is what the immigration officer is thinking.

He needs to see a regular income to Thailand for your family.

Using the ATM may work if you show all the slips, but I strongly suggest you

set up a regular TT from your overseas bank to your Thai bank account,

if not every month, then 80K every two months.

We have a current report from Pattaya that it was asked of him on last application so, along with the three month rule, it my be a requirement - at least at that office.

Where we have not seen any such requirement is retirement type extensions of stay - but if anyone has has a different experience please advise when and where.

Thanks for the replies so far. My office is Hua Hin.

I can totally understand that the IO will be concerned that I may be working in Thailand without the correct documentation. However, a copy of the current tenancy agreement will show a gross income of around 100k (they did ask for that). Bank statements form the UK will show a net income of some 83k (after agent's deductions) and also that the two of us spend, on avarage, a little over 40k a month in Thailand. I've got to save the rest for maintenance issues on my property, as and when they arise.

I suppose that if we're already spending the money, then it's sensible to set up a transfer up over here of 40k a month and I've got the time on my visa to get three month's worth in before actually making the application. However, I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that. Every penny saved back home just makes life easier here.

Alternatively, I'll muddle by until August 12th 2008, when I turn 50 and go for retirement on the basis of 65k income.

It's frustrating, to say the least.

Some details first.

I'm a British citizen, 49 yrs old in Aug who's been married to a Thai national for coming on two years. I currently have a multi-entry Non O, issued from Hull on 21st Sept 2006. Expiry date 21st Sept 2007. My current entry stamp permits me to say until July 1st.

I follow this board daily and thought I was pretty au fait with the paperwork that was going to be necessary to get a year's extension. As some documents will have to come from England and I need the letter from The Embassy confirming my income, I decided to pop into the local Imm centre this morning to make a final check of what I'd need to support my application.

All went well and there were no surprises until it was categorically stated that I needed to show the minimum 40K per month being transferred into a Thai bank account.

I asked three times whether the Officer had got that correct. She even went and dug out some old applications (I didn't see how old, ie maybe prior to Oct 1st) but all of them had the letter from a Thai bank confirming the income over three months and copies of the relevant bank book details.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a letter from my Embassy (which they'll give, I've called them already) was sufficient to demonstrate the minimum 40k income. I didn't think that the money had to be transferred into Thailand any more (for income).

Can someone advise me if the information I was given today is correct? Everything I've read on this forum suggests it isn't.

If that is the case, can I go up and apply in BKK at Soi Suan Plu? That might be an alternative if my local office continues to possibly misread the new regulations.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I have more than twice the minimum income, but it's just far easier for me to leave it in the UK as I have a business to run there (namely, my property). My wife and I live on what we need month to month through ATM withdrawals. Some months 45k, some months 35k. Leaving it back home just makes my life so much easier in terms of property management - although not, by the sounds of things, a Thai visa extension.

hi sua yai

what immigration office are you applying at? I had the same problems as you when I was renewing my extension this year, I had to produce bank transcripts of my foreign accounts, that was satisfying for Pattaya immigration. You might get away with that, and a new application fee, as I did.

good luck

Morty

Thanks Morty,

The application hasn't been made. I was intending doing it around the 1st June. Just checking today what they wanted to see, as stuff has to come from England (bank statements/ tenancy agreement etc).

Hope I get as lucky as you.

Thanks Morty,

The application hasn't been made. I was intending doing it around the 1st June. Just checking today what they wanted to see, as stuff has to come from England (bank statements/ tenancy agreement etc).

Hope I get as lucky as you.

I think you'd be fine as long as you have bank statements from abroad, but I guess you, as me, don't like immigration snooping into your offshore economy. One can only speculate as to why they do this.

Best of luck to you and your wife.

Morty

• 1 month later...

As a postscript to this thread, I was at Hua Hin Imm again this morning and was given the same treatment. Even with my wife, the marriage certificate and previous 5 months bank statements from the UK, backed up with corresponding statements from my letting agents and this year's tenancy agreement, it was categorically stated that the 40k+ had to be going into a Thai bank account. (I know more evidence is necessary. Yet again, this was a "test run").

Fair play to Astral and his post. The Officer said that as I was claiming to support my Thai wife, they wanted to see the money over here. Bank statements and Emb letter were only additional requirements to the overriding Thai bank book.

So, it's back to the drawing board again.

Just a couple of questions, if I can. I'll be 50 next August and the lovely Imm Officer suggested I come back and see her then. She said that the 65k+ monthly income didn't have to be transferred over here for the retirement extension. Is this correct? Also, she kept referring to pension, but my income is from property. Would this suffice? Ie, income, not pension (for retirement, obviously).

Thanks from a frustrated farang.

There is no more requirement for supporting Thai wife. The requirement is clearly family income of 40k. But it is up to Immigration what is acceptable.

For retirement you will need to obtain letter from your Embassy that confirms income/pension. Believe paperwork as you have outlined would be accepted by Embassy and Immigration will normally accept what Embassy will accept. There is no requirement to transfer funds. In the meantime you can obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa from Singapore with a bank account somewhere showing 400k so would only require a few visa runs to get to the retirement date (I assume it is next year?).

Thanks Lopburi3,

Yes, next year it's the big 50. My current multi-entry Non O expires on Sept 21, so with an exit just before that, I'll be OK till just before Xmas. That'll leave me 8 months of messing around (50 on August 12th 2008) - maybe Singapore for another multi-entry or maybe a combination of single entry Non O's from Penang and 30 day runs to Ranong, finishing up with a Non O to see me through the retirement extension.

I was hoping not to have to bother with the runs any more. I've been doing them for 9 years. Still, it's not the end of the world.

I am coming up to my 3rd renewal due in September and as I live in the central ragion I always go to Suan Phlu. They have always asked for proof of pension income which is available along with the expensive letter from the British embassy but never for proof of income to a Thai bank.

As I am 63 I think that this year I will go with Sunbelt and try for a "living with my Thai child" visa which requires no proof of income, except of course the wife and 3 year old son to be present.

That sometimes gets a little expensve as they don't get to "the big city" taht often.

I am coming up to my 3rd renewal due in September and as I live in the central ragion I always go to Suan Phlu. They have always asked for proof of pension income which is available along with the expensive letter from the British embassy but never for proof of income to a Thai bank.

As I am 63 I think that this year I will go with Sunbelt and try for a "living with my Thai child" visa which requires no proof of income, except of course the wife and 3 year old son to be present.

That sometimes gets a little expensve as they don't get to "the big city" taht often.

Cool idea!  NO question Sunbelt will be able to do this for you in a timely and effect

ve manner.  

They are the ones  that did the "living with Thai child visa" first and have the most experience.

Yes it is a lot easier!  I know of someone that had a Non Imm B that converted to an "O" living with Thai Child sucessfully.

Badbanker

It is not a visa but a one year extension of stay for parents over the age of 50 living with their Thai child. There is no financial requirement. But child has to sign paperwork that they want the parent to stay with them. It just started with the new Police Order 606/2006 so is not well known outside of Bangkok hqs.

It is not a visa but a one year extension of stay for parents over the age of 50 living with their Thai child. There is no financial requirement. But child has to sign paperwork that they want the parent to stay with them. It just started with the new Police Order 606/2006 so is not well known outside of Bangkok hqs.

In many cases the child is not aware of what he is signing and so the childs mother has to sign on the childs behalf.  My son didn't sign a thing but my wife had to.  They did an oral interview of my son in my presence to establish that we have a close relationship.  I believe this was to ensure that there really is a father/son ongoing relationship.

Badbanker

ahh, bugger, I will need to wait a few decades for this :o Thanks Lopburi,

Nathan.