"I'm 83, I don't give a sod"; UK pensioner sums up frustration with new COVID curbs

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, polpott said:

The opposite. How little you know. If my NI contributions had been put into a defined benefits pension scheme from day one, I'd be drawing a far bigger pension than I am now.

pension funds was built on assumption

of growth that never materialized,

the deficit is subsidized by taxes,

its almost universal cross the western hemisphere

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, scammed said:

pension funds was built on assumption

of growth that never materialized,

the deficit is subsidized by taxes,

its almost universal cross the western hemisphere

The growth wasn't achieved because the money wasn't invested, it went straight into the treasury pot. You can't get a return on a zero sum. My company pension scheme has grown nicely and I have a cast iron guarantee of my pension plus an annual rise in line with RPI. If the government had performed due dilligence, my state pension would have performed in the same way.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 8:43 PM, Hamus Yaigh said:

She's not right at all. She's just been used to highlight the failure of of the British authorities to control the ignorant and selfish who expect their freedoms to be uncompromised. It's one reason why Asian countries are overcoming this pandemic more successfully than the West where a massive second wave is now upon them.

'doesn't give a sod' is summing up the general attitude is over there - well, you reap what you sow.. 

On 10/24/2020 at 5:51 PM, scammed said:

or put another way: you are retired so you get your pension

regardless how indebted the state, businesses, and workers get as they feed you your pension.

that matters not to you because you wont pay it off,

that is someone elses problem, things are fine

as long as you get yours

Our pension is a right and most of us worked for them. It's not some gift given to us by generous politicians.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Our pension is a right and most of us worked for them. It's not some gift given to us by generous politicians.

those savings are spent quickly, do you acknowledge

that the money wont last 1000 years, or 100 years, or even 10 years ?

it also isnt only to pay for future, but for past expenses, such as your education,

police, army, hospital, etc etc

Edited by scammed
  • Confused 2

On 10/22/2020 at 7:52 PM, snoop1130 said:

"I look at it this way - I've not got that many years left in me and I'm not going to be fastened in a house when the government have got it all wrong.

So Keep Calm and Carry On is no longer a thing?

Now it's all about me.

10 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yes, because there were plenty of jobs available. If we carry on destroying the economy there will be millions of unemployed who won't have the luxury of paying into pension schemes because they won't even have food on the table.

3.5 million unemployed during the Thatcher years, 1m when she came to power. Unemployment is far from novel.

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Yes, because there were plenty of jobs available. If we carry on destroying the economy there will be millions of unemployed who won't have the luxury of paying into pension schemes because they won't even have food on the table.

It's time to protect the "At Risk" groups and let the young and healthy continue with their lives.

While I agree with your last sentence, in NZ there are hundreds if not thousands of jobs that need local workers because the overseas workers that used to do them are not allowed in. They might not be the best jobs, but if people came from overseas to do them, seems strange that NZ workers won't, now. Actually not strange, but that's a different subject.