TAT announces compulsory medical insurance for foreign visitors

snoop1130

17 hours ago, jerolamo said:

no, they didn't have to request an insurance when they come in EU (4 years ago, not, now i don't know).

But why not an obligation to get an insurance at reasonable price and from your own country ? But force to get one from the country you go is a mess and dangerous, it can not be acceptable.

It's been in place since 2010.  

Extract from “Regulation (EC) No 810/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 13 July 2009”, which entered into force on April 5 of 2010:

“… Applicants for a uniform visa for one or two entries shall prove that they are in possession of adequate and valid travel medical insurance to cover any expenses which might arise in connection with repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical attention and/or emergency hospital treatment or death, during their stay(s) on the territory of the Member States.
The insurance shall be valid throughout the territory of the Schengen Area Member States and cover the entire period of the person’s intended stay or transit. The minimum coverage shall be EUR 30,000”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

But it seems that such a covid-19 only insurance is NOT sufficient to return.  It needs to be a 100.000 US $ health-insurance policy that INCLUDES covid-19.

Can you post the details you have that would support that statement.

Appears to contradict what has been said by TAT

"The insurance policy has been approved by the Thai government and can be used in the Thai visa application process."

https://www.tatnews.org/2020/10/tat-announces-compulsory-medical-insurance-for-foreign-visitors/

34 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Can you post the details you have that would support that statement.

Appears to contradict what has been said by TAT

"The insurance policy has been approved by the Thai government and can be used in the Thai visa application process."

https://www.tatnews.org/2020/10/tat-announces-compulsory-medical-insurance-for-foreign-visitors/

Yes, at first I also believed that a 100.000 US $ covid-19 insurance would be sufficient to be eligible for the CoE.

But the post by @steven100 on Page 22 of this thread, made me check on the Thai Embassy websites for the CoE requirements.  The London Thai Embassy was somewhat ambiguous on the issue, and could be interpreted both ways, but the Belgian Thai Embassy < https://www.thaiembassy.be/2020/07/09/application-for-certificate-of-entry-for-non-thai-nationals/?lang=en > was crystal clear:

> 2.3 Health Insurance Policy with the coverage of medical treatment in Thailand, including COVID-19 treatment, in the minimum amount of 100,000 USD or equivalent

So the post of @steven100 is indeed fully correct.  The new TV Forum format does not allow me to copy the link to his page 22 post, so I simply copy-pasted the relevant part below:

you have medical cover minimum 100k  :   yes

does it include COVID cover   :   yes 

fine .....   enter Thailand.

you have medical cover 100k minimum  :    yes

does it include COVID cover   :   no

Then you will have to purchase one that covers COVID19.    Either as a separate COVID cover or one that includes medical and covers COVID19.  That's your choice .... but you must have it to enter

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, at first I also believed that a 100.000 US $ covid-19 insurance would be sufficient to be eligible for the CoE.

But the post by @steven100 on Page 22 of this thread, made me check on the Thai Embassy websites for the CoE requirements.  The London Thai Embassy was somewhat ambiguous on the issue, and could be interpreted both ways, but the Belgian Thai Embassy < https://www.thaiembassy.be/2020/07/09/application-for-certificate-of-entry-for-non-thai-nationals/?lang=en > was crystal clear:

> 2.3 Health Insurance Policy with the coverage of medical treatment in Thailand, including COVID-19 treatment, in the minimum amount of 100,000 USD or equivalent

So the post of @steven100 is indeed fully correct.  The new TV Forum format does not allow me to copy the link to his page 22 post, so I simply copy-pasted the relevant part below:

you have medical cover minimum 100k  :   yes

does it include COVID cover   :   yes 

fine .....   enter Thailand.

you have medical cover 100k minimum  :    yes

does it include COVID cover   :   no

Then you will have to purchase one that covers COVID19.    Either as a separate COVID cover or one that includes medical and covers COVID19.  That's your choice .... but you must have it to enter

An opinion really.

Generally there was no compulsory health insurance to enter Thailand. When foreigners were first allowed to travel following the restrictions it was said they would require insurance against covid to the level of $100K.

If you are saying that the interpretation is that at the same time they also introduced compulsory health insurance as well as the covid insurance then it becomes a question of translation context.

At the end of the day we will not know for sure until someone with just the Thai policy gets turned down, but in view of what has been said by TAT I see that as unlikely

28 minutes ago, sandyf said:

An opinion really.

Generally there was no compulsory health insurance to enter Thailand. When foreigners were first allowed to travel following the restrictions it was said they would require insurance against covid to the level of $100K.

If you are saying that the interpretation is that at the same time they also introduced compulsory health insurance as well as the covid insurance then it becomes a question of translation context.

At the end of the day we will not know for sure until someone with just the Thai policy gets turned down, but in view of what has been said by TAT I see that as unlikely

An opinion??? Translation context???

Attached below the requirements as posted on several Thai Embassy websites.

On the Belgian Thai Embassy website  < https://www.thaiembassy.be/2020/07/09/application-for-certificate-of-entry-for-non-thai-nationals/?lang=en > it reads as one of the requirements to be eligible for the CoE:

On the Danish Thai Embassy website < http://thaiembassy.dk/certificate-of-entry-coe-and-non-immigrant-visa-category-o/ > it reads

> 6 - Valid health insurance policy worth not less than 100,000 USD or in equivalence which includes COVID-19 medical treatments.

On the French Thai Embassy website < http://www.thaiembassy.fr/fr/voyagecovid/ > it reads and confirms the same:

> – Contractez une assurance maladie avec une couverture minimale de 100 000 US dollars, y compris le traitement COVID-19, valable au moins 3 mois dès votre arrivée en Thaïlande (sauf si vous appartenez au groupe 3 selon le Document 1 Diagramme en 2.1).

Only the London Thai Embassy website < https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/application-for-certificate-of-entry-to-thailand-for-non-thai-nationa?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072de >  is somewhat ambiguous on this issue.  It reads:

> 5. Copy of insurance policy which covers COVID and no less than 100,000 USD – please print the insurance certificate and all pages of the terms and conditions on the COVID coverage and medical benefits (some people were refused to board the flight because they could not show that their insurance meet this requirement)

From the above, there can be little doubt that the TGIA touted 'stand-alone' covid-19 only insurance would NOT be accepted when applying for the CoE,  when such insurance is not part of or accompanied by a regular 100.000 US $ coverage health-insurance policy.

Edited by Peter Denis

On 10/23/2020 at 5:53 PM, snoop1130 said:

The OIC-endorsed COVID-19 insurance packages vary from 30 days to one year. The premium ranges from 1,600-4,800 Baht for 30 days of coverage; from 2,880-8,640 Baht for 60 days; from 3,840 – 12,160 Baht for 90 days; from 7,680 – 23,040 Baht for 120 days, and from 14,400 – 43,200 Baht for one year.

In December 2019, I purchased a one-year Thailand Travel Shield policy sponsored by TAT. 4mil coverage for all inpatient services, price 12k . The only catch was that the insured had to depart & return every 60 days and after age 69 no dice.. This was a typical insurance scam & so is this, only more expensive and the policy only covers COVID.

So if you buy a policy (mine priced at 23,400 for a year) and you don't test positive, you pay all medical expences, including the negative test out of pocket. It's in the realm of possibility testing might be rigged for the insurance companies.

Though the year section covers 98-year olds born in 1922, it remains to be seen if they will cover 70 year olds. (Slimy b-tards!)

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

From the above, there can be little doubt that the TGIA touted 'stand-alone' covid-19 only insurance would NOT be accepted when applying for the CoE,  when such insurance is not part of or accompanied by a regular 100.000 US $ coverage health-insurance policy.

Can you post the details where a Thai policy has not been accepted.

I think people are looking at this from the wrong perspective. Strikes me that by having the age to 99 the Thais could be opening the door to those that may have difficulty getting insurance. I doubt that it has escaped their notice that long term visitors are more likely to be elderly.

The proof of the pudding so to speak is in the eating and until someone actually gets turned away it is pure speculation on what was actually intended.

If people wish to believe that mandatory health insurance is now a permanently embedded requirement that is up to them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Can you post the details where a Thai policy has not been accepted.

I did the effort in my earlier post (see 3 posts higher) - on your request - to provide links to 4 Thai embassy websites that clearly state that covid-19 coverage should be included in a 100.000 US $ coverage health-insurance policy that covers medical treatment in Thailand.

So only those who cannot read or understand clear requirements will try to apply for the CoE with a covid-19 only policy as touted by the TGIA, and as good as certain their application will be rejected if the Embassy follows its own published requirements.

What more evidence do you need than publicly available Embassy requirements posted on their websites?  Yes, TAT says otherwise but we all know the credibility of their statements...

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I think people are looking at this from the wrong perspective. Strikes me that by having the age to 99 the Thais could be opening the door to those that may have difficulty getting insurance. I doubt that it has escaped their notice that long term visitors are more likely to be elderly.

The proof of the pudding so to speak is in the eating and until someone actually gets turned away it is pure speculation on what was actually intended.

If people wish to believe that mandatory health insurance is now a permanently embedded requirement that is up to them.

Mandatory health insurance covering medical expenses for at least 100.000 US $ is currently required to return to Thailand as it is a requirement for the CoE. 

Nobody says that it will be 'permanently embedded', as it will indeed make it difficult or even impossible for elderly applicants to meet the 100.000 US $ coverage health-insurance requirement when over a certain age.

• Like 1

So all those lowly paid workers coming across the border from Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar (whenever they open them) that earn 300 Baht a day in Thailand will all have the same level of COVID insurance policies as the rest of the foreigners entering Thailand .

Sure! pull this one it squeaks........................ 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 2:21 PM, BritManToo said:

Oddly enough I hear France is about to lock up tight again.

Who gives a poop about Belgium?

On 10/24/2020 at 2:07 PM, Sheryl said:

No, because they have no way of knowing what a foreign social security scheme covers.

If you can get a letter from the Social Security describing your coverage and that COVID is included then fine. 

It's the state healthcare system ergo it covers everything without any limits (except that the bill for any particular item of treatment is only payable up to the maximum amount payable in Luxembourg for that same treatment; however if a hospital in Thailand is charging more than, they are ripping you off; BIG TIME!) and yes of course covid is including it's the Luxembourg state healthcare system there are no exclusions whatsoever!

25 minutes ago, berrec said:

So all those lowly paid workers coming across the border from Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar (whenever they open them) that earn 300 Baht a day in Thailand will all have the same level of COVID insurance policies as the rest of the foreigners entering Thailand .

Sure! pull this one it squeaks........................ 

Yes, that's a very interesting one!  Once they open the land-borders with Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar will Thai Embassies or border-immigration also insist on a 100.000 US $ health-insurance for those entering Thailand that way.  Making ASEAN-nationals exempt for that insurance requirement is an option, but that would rightfully be met with outrage as there is no rational argument to impose it only on non-Asean nationalities.

On 10/24/2020 at 8:55 PM, ThailandRyan said:

And again, I can honestly say, your guess is as good as mine to answer all of your questions.  These tools, I mean fools, er I mean....well whatever have no clue yet as it has only been proposed.  Imagine having all these proposals and eventually they either get stuffed through or fall by the wayside.  It boggles the mind.

A question on the above topic for you folks; long term foreigners that live here and are COVID free, (I assume) are not required to have compulsive COVID insurance (but some may optionally have other forms of medical insurance coverage).

Why are returning foreigners that are reentering the country for an extended period required to have compulsive COVID insurance for more than 14 days (the recommended quarantine period) or even 30 days that then exhibit no COVID inherent issues?

Both the long term and returning foreigners living here both have a similar chance of contracting (or not contracting) COVID in Thailand.

I am good for travel insurance for temporary visitors being compulsive, but COVID exclusive only coverage insurance for over one month for reentering foreigners seems a little over the top.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, berrec said:

A question on the above topic for you folks; long term foreigners that live here and are COVID free, (I assume) are not required to have compulsive COVID insurance (but some may optionally have other forms of medical insurance coverage).

Why are returning foreigners that are reentering the country for an extended period required to have compulsive COVID insurance for more than 14 days (the recommended quarantine period) or even 30 days that then exhibit no COVID inherent issues?

Both the long term and returning foreigners living here both have a similar chance of contracting (or not contracting) COVID in Thailand.

I am good for travel insurance for temporary visitors being compulsive, but COVID exclusive only coverage insurance for over one month for reentering foreigners seems a little over the top. 

On top of that the 100K US $ covid-19 only insurance touted by TGIA is actually only for those whose regular health-insurance for100K US $ medical expenses in Thailand does NOT cover covid.

According to the foreign Thai Embassy websites you must have such 100K US $ medical expenses coverage insurance to be eligible for the CoE and your insurance must include covid-19.

1 hour ago, paulbj2 said:

It's the state healthcare system ergo it covers everything without any limits (except that the bill for any particular item of treatment is only payable up to the maximum amount payable in Luxembourg for that same treatment; however if a hospital in Thailand is charging more than, they are ripping you off; BIG TIME!) and yes of course covid is including it's the Luxembourg state healthcare system there are no exclusions whatsoever!

I understand this, but you would have to get an official letter to that effect to show the Thai Embassy. Which may be difficult to do.

On 10/25/2020 at 1:54 PM, jerolamo said:

Thai people (not married to an EU citizens) traveling to Europe in a Schengen visa have required insurance for as long as I can remember.

The second part is correct. A 30,000 euros cover has been required for more than 12 years. As for the "married" they do need to present this cover ( I am presently in that case and it is compulsory, even in that case)

I understand that upon testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 a person in ASQ is hospitalized regardless of the presence of symptoms. I think many (most?) commercial health insurance policies will only pay for medically necessary treatment. Would such hospitalization be considered medically necessary in the absence of symptoms and would insurers pay for the hospital expenses thus incurred? Or would insurers, and foreign insurers in particular, deem such hospitalization medically unnecessary and only part of public health protocol and thus deny a claim?

• Like 1

I particularly like the bit about............the cost is reasonable.............depends who you ask. If you are not paying its reasonable, if you ask a Thai if he would like to pay he would say no and would not partake so I would suspect that most tourists will not entertain this poorly thought out venture, its another nail in the Golden Goose which is quickly becoming slim duck and it begs a further a question. What happens when covid-19 is no longer deemed a threat to the country?

On 10/26/2020 at 4:41 PM, Peter Denis said:

I did the effort in my earlier post (see 3 posts higher) - on your request -

I didn't see any text that said a Thai policy had been turned down, you would have to point out where that was.

• Sad 1

On 10/26/2020 at 4:47 PM, Peter Denis said:

Mandatory health insurance covering medical expenses for at least 100.000 US $ is currently required to return to Thailand as it is a requirement for the CoE. 

Nobody says that it will be 'permanently embedded', as it will indeed make it difficult or even impossible for elderly applicants to meet the 100.000 US $ coverage health-insurance requirement when over a certain age.

You are of the opinion that both health insurance and covid insurance are required.

You are also of the opinion that when covid insurance is no longer required, health insurance will no longer be required.

Only time will tell how much validity your opinions hold.

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You are of the opinion that both health insurance and covid insurance are required.

You are also of the opinion that when covid insurance is no longer required, health insurance will no longer be required.

Only time will tell how much validity your opinions hold.

I simply quoted (with links provided) the requirements as published on the websites of FOUR different Thai Embassies that clearly state

A Health Insurance Policy that covers medical treatment in Thailand, including COVID-19 treatment, to the minimum amount of 100,000 USD or equivalent

Hardly an opinion I would think, when backed up with multiple factual evidence.

The London Thai Embassy even stresses the point that covid-19 insurance (as provided by the TGIA insurers) is NOT sufficient - I highlighted it in red in the quote below

Copy of insurance policy which covers COVID and no less than 100,000 USD – please print the insurance certificate and all pages of the terms and conditions on the COVID coverage and medical benefits (some people were refused to board the flight because they could not show that their insurance meet this requirement)

Really wonder what is your agenda when trying to sow doubt on this matter.

Just another thought about this. - All visitors have to quarantine and be checked they are Covid free. Thailand has alledgely an extremely low incidence of Covid, so once a visitor is pronounced Covid free the risk to the insurance company is very small and of course the profits very large!

On 10/26/2020 at 1:46 AM, bkk_bwana said:

It's been in place since 2010.  

Extract from “Regulation (EC) No 810/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 13 July 2009”, which entered into force on April 5 of 2010:

“… Applicants for a uniform visa for one or two entries shall prove that they are in possession of adequate and valid travel medical insurance to cover any expenses which might arise in connection with repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical attention and/or emergency hospital treatment or death, during their stay(s) on the territory of the Member States.
The insurance shall be valid throughout the territory of the Schengen Area Member States and cover the entire period of the person’s intended stay or transit. The minimum coverage shall be EUR 30,000”

that should be true, we maybe paid for one when my wife come to see us in France. I forget totally if we rent one... but, if this is the law, then it is the law.

On 10/26/2020 at 6:11 PM, Peter Denis said:

Yes, that's a very interesting one!  Once they open the land-borders with Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar will Thai Embassies or border-immigration also insist on a 100.000 US $ health-insurance for those entering Thailand that way.  Making ASEAN-nationals exempt for that insurance requirement is an option, but that would rightfully be met with outrage as there is no rational argument to impose it only on non-Asean nationalities.

OK, so why do Thai people need compulsory insurance to visit Europe (Schengen visa) and Europe's neighbouring countries people do not?