TAT announces compulsory medical insurance for foreign visitors

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

can someone reccomend medical insurance that covers covid?

not thai company,  but internatoinally

When under 70 years of age SafetyWing [ https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance/ ] provides 250.000 US $ accident/illness coverage (including covid-19) as part of their FULL travel-insurance package with many other benefits (e.g. repatriation).

Premium varies according to age from 40 US $ to 130 US $ for 4-week coverage (and policy can be cancelled any time).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

My comment was in regards to one being covered for Covid insurance through the Thai Government if non-Thai.  GF has a work permit, and then the SS and medical that she paid for at the time of her extension of stay, as she is from a bordering country.  That basic insurance scheme that she has does not cover Covid from what she has been told.  If it does, it is one hell of a cheap policy for 3900 baht for the year.  For her she has also purchased a PCH insurance plan to cover her in going to a private hospital, instead of going to the Government Hospital that she had to register at under the scheme, and then wait for medical services there, or at one of the clinics with hundreds of others. YMMV is all I was saying.

Even though she paid into the SS plan, she was unable to draw any money out as she was told "Foreigner can not", and yet the Thai employee's she had could.  Now go figure that one out.

"Even though she paid into the SS plan, she was unable to draw any money out as she was told "Foreigner can not", and yet the Thai employee's she had could. "

Do you mean she could not claim any medical benefit (e.g. for inpatient/outpatient treatment at a government hospital)?

Or do you mean she could not request a refund of premiums on leaving her employment/fund membership?

Or ?

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"Even though she paid into the SS plan, she was unable to draw any money out as she was told "Foreigner can not", and yet the Thai employee's she had could. "

Do you mean she could not claim any medical benefit (e.g. for inpatient/outpatient treatment at a government hospital)?

Or do you mean she could not request a refund of premiums on leaving her employment/fund membership?

Or ?

The SS scheme payout the Government instituted when they also put in place the payout to the Thai people due to Covid is what I was mentioning.

https://www.tilleke.com/resources/thailand’s-social-security-office-prepares-further-covid-19-assistance-measures

Edited by ThailandRyan

6 hours ago, CapeTown said:

Here is what The Caneries offer:

"

In order to boost tourism, the Canary Islands are also offering free medical insurance for tourists, which covers medical expenses, medical repatriation and your stay if you need to quarantine on the islands for 15 days.

The policy is offered to all tourists visiting the Canary Islands who test positive for coronavirus during their stay at “any regulated establishment”, as well as their accompanying relatives, even when the latter have not tested positive for Covid-19."

So which destination do you think tourists will be attracted.

Apples and oranges. The Canaries are looking at the local short haul/short term visitors.

Do you you really think a 30 day policy would be beneficial to the long haul travelers. Somehow I do not see the Asian tourists rushing over there.

I think it was back in 2013 that TAT said they had lost interest in western tourists.

On 10/23/2020 at 7:22 PM, 2long said:

This whole Covid thing is one big cash cow for

- big pharma and their hoax vaccine

- insurance companies (the scum of the earth)

- corrupt officials

Lot of anger coming from your mother's basement.

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I can see by your post that you must be banging your head against the wall like your avatar.  It will be ok, I promise you will be alright.  Now back to the OP and the issues at hand with this new compulsory insurance that covers actually very little.

The new compulsory insurance covers the SPECIFIC things that Thai MFA and Thai Immigration see as important. If anyone needs additional coverage, then go ahead and get it. Don't expect the Thai government or ANY government having any responsibility to cook up a one-size-fits-all insurance solution. Next you'll be expecting TAT to refund your insurance premiums.

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The new compulsory insurance covers the SPECIFIC things that Thai MFA and Thai Immigration see as important. If anyone needs additional coverage, then go ahead and get it. Don't expect the Thai government or ANY government having any responsibility to cook up a one-size-fits-all insurance solution. Next you'll be expecting TAT to refund your insurance premiums.

Maybe refund the lost income the tourist sector and businesses suffered based upon the Governments crazy responses and wasted time and energy cooking up Ideas that have very little merit to them.  But it is ok, someone will throw more good money after bad, just like those who throw money at there two week vacation wife who they found in a bar and believe everything she says.  A sucker born every minute.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Maybe refund the lost income the tourist sector and businesses suffered based upon the Governments crazy responses and wasted time and energy cooking up Ideas that have very little merit to them.  But it is ok, someone will throw more good money after bad, just like those who throw money at there two week vacation wife who they found in a bar and believe everything she says.  A sucker born every minute.

There ya go... lurching further off-topic and talking about exactly the sort of tourist that Thailand no longer wants or needs.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

FYI > the Thai insurance company PacificCross has launched an 'all in one' insurance policy, called the Visa Friendly scheme < https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/visa-friendly/ >  

That insurance meets the requirements for

- 100.000 US $ health-insurance coverage (including covid-19)

- 400k/40k THB in/out-patient coverage (Non Imm O-A compliant)

It targets those that don't want to spend time on insurance matters and prefer an all-in-one policy meeting all Thai Visa-related insurance requirements.

Sounds nice, and could have been attractive, but...

- the policy is way more expensive than opting for 2 (or 3) separate policies covering these requirements;

- like all PacificCross policies when entering Thailand you are not covered for covid-19 the first 15 days (nice surprise when you test positive on arrival).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

FYI > the Thai insurance company PacificCross has launched an 'all in one' insurance policy, called the Visa Friendly scheme < https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/visa-friendly/ >  

That insurance meets the requirements for

- 100.000 US $ health-insurance coverage (including covid-19)

- 400k/40k THB in/out-patient coverage (Non Imm O-A compliant)

It targets those that don't want to spend time on insurance matters and prefer an all-in-one policy meeting all Thai Visa-related insurance requirements.

Sounds nice, and could have been attractive, but...

- the policy is way more expensive than opting for 2 (or 3) separate policies covering these requirements;

- like all PacificCross policies when entering Thailand you are not covered for covid-19 the first 15 days (nice surprise when you test positive on arrival).

The additional cost or 'value-added' of the one-stop insurance solution. When does convenience become too expensive?

• Confused 3

On 10/23/2020 at 7:10 PM, sammieuk1 said:

Sure this will still be in effect long after a vaccine and will be extended to those already captive here there is money to be made and we know who is going to pay it ???? 

Yes, let us insure you for a disease not here, this should be popular, ha ha ha ha ha 

Philippines is open to foriegners from November first at this stage, still two weeks quarantine. 

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

if you have insurance already for minimum 100k then fine .... you can show that. If it includes COVID19 cover then that's even better otherwise you will be required to purchase it. 

"COVID-19 cover" is no sense and probably not legal because of that.

If you are sick, what ever it is, an insurance will cover you, up to 100K$ (EU inssurance for tierce of Thai price cover to 300 K€), that's all.
insurance that only covers for COVID is inferior in quality to insurance that covers for any form of illness. Much lower if in addition it only covers up to $ 100K when another (which costs less) covers up to € 350K.

And an administration, in front of a trail, will pain to succeed to demonstrate something different than what is logic about: who can do the most can do the least, not the other way around.

They can not speak for  lie and said anything wrong all the time, it should not be possible and accepted so easily, you can resist a little bit.

Tell me which point you failed to understand ?

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, bkk_bwana said:

Good. All travelers should have health and accident insurance, no matter where they visit in the world. Thai people (not married to an EU citizens) traveling to Europe in a Schengen visa have required insurance for as long as I can remember. I have never heard anyone complain about that.

no, they didn't have to request an insurance when they come in EU (4 years ago, not, now i don't know).

But why not an obligation to get an insurance at reasonable price and from your own country ? But force to get one from the country you go is a mess and dangerous, it can not be acceptable.

1 hour ago, jerolamo said:

If you are sick, what ever it is, an insurance will cover you, up to 100K$ (EU inssurance for tierce of Thai price cover to 300 K€), that's all.
insurance that only covers for COVID is inferior in quality to insurance that covers for any form of illness. Much lower if in addition it only covers up to $ 100K when another (which costs less) covers up to € 350K.

And an administration, in front of a trail, will pain to succeed to demonstrate something different than what is logic about: who can do the most can do the least, not the other way around.

They can not speak for  lie and said anything wrong all the time, it should not be possible and accepted so easily, you can resist a little bit.

"And an administration, in front of a trail, will pain to succeed to demonstrate something different than what is logic about: who can do the most can do the least, not the other way around.

Tell me which point you failed to understand ?"

All of the above!!! ???? 

1 hour ago, sambum said:

Because some people may already have insurance which has already cost them a significant amount of money, and now they are being asked to pay for additional coverage.

The hammer meets the nail ....head on. 
Especially when the insurance been paid for locally,  in baht, for nearly 20 years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Lurching sounds so painful.  Off Topic not quite.  Spending money on a compulsory insurance that really does not cover anything and for the prices they want, just is a sham.  Thailand's Government  may not want the type of tourists I described but the families who send there women to work in those locales sure do.  It is unfortunately part of the endemic society that the Thai Government is trying to do away with, yet those are the types of folks who need insurance the most, just not TAT's super compulsory Insurance.  Many Airlines are now selling Tourist Insurance which covers Covid, and then most peoples home insurance they have will cover it as well.  Should you become a resident of Thailand then your home and travel insurance goes by the wayside after awhile and needs to be amended so that it will cover you.  With that said Thailand has been trying now to make insurance  mandatory for years, by a service fee added to flights, money collected when leaving the country, and then the new HI insurance needed for those of us on a retirement visa/extension of stay.  Talked to my Insurance agent on Thursday before the long weekend and he described that it is now apparent that the Thai Government will be pushing the issue of Thai Health Insurance for those on O visa extensions here in the near future.  Go figure, they see a cash cow.  However, for anyone traveling and moving to the US, The UK, or Europe, its is mandatory that you have insurance coverage.  So why is it so hard to put a policy together here that is not expensive and actually covers the insured.  Simple...Greed.

I'm moving back to the states in about a month and I've been doing some insurance shopping. Haven't lived there in over 7 years and didn't have insurance as a young single lad. 

All I hear about is how bad medical is there and how outrageous insurance is yet just a few quick searches and I found a plan for my wife and I around 15,000 baht a month for full coverage and zero dedcutable covering all of the major hospitals in Los Angeles with over 11,000 doctors in the network around the city. 

Compare that to what I was looking at for insurance here with half that coverage and it was acutlaly pretty relieving. To be honest, all of the things I used to think were better about Thailand (cost, ease of doing things, etc.) I've come to realize either aren't the case anymore or just were never real to begin with.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jerolamo said:

you have medical cover minimum 100k  :   yes

does it include COVID cover   :   yes 

fine .....   enter Thailand.

you have medical cover 100k minimum  :    yes

does it include COVID cover   :   no

Then you will have to purchase one that covers COVID19.    Either as a separate COVID cover or one that includes medical and covers COVID19.  That's your choice .... but you must have it to enter

which part of the above do you fail to understand ......   I don't know how simpler it can be explained.    !!

On 10/23/2020 at 6:45 PM, aussiep said:

So when I come to Thailand with this policy I am not covoured for....
Any preexisiting conditions and riding on a motor bike or any small accidient.
So the Thai policy covers me for the virus...
But l have to take out more/other insurence from my country to cover anything els.
Add the 2 together...A bit exencive now.
Plus next time l come l will be over 75.
And the Thai policy wont cover me, as far as l know.

aussiep...

So are they now saying that anyone over 75 can no longer consider visiting Thailand ?

So visitor age 87 could never come back on a tourist visa? (in addition the UK travel insurance premium was 22000+ baht for the planned and cancelled visit for April past) Potential visitor was previously on Multi-entry 90day non-O and only used two Tourist Visas since they stopped issuing the MEs.

So seriously is this them saying he cannot come back? (ever)

Does he need to make the difficult decision to discontinue his ongoing retention of his accommodation etc?

The other thing is a COVID diagnosis not the category of last resort in Thailand? Where as in the uk if hit by a train, and you had covid, it is the covid that killed you not the train.

Taking the maximum figures quoted in the article for each period breakdown you get the following daily rates:

Price           Days    Per Day

4,800 30 160.00
8,640 60 144.00
12,160 90 135.11
23,040 120 192.00

365 118.36

What have the insurers got against 120 day stayers?

9 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Taking the maximum figures quoted in the article for each period breakdown you get the following daily rates:

Price           Days    Per Day

4,800 30 160.00
8,640 60 144.00
12,160 90 135.11
23,040 120 192.00

365 118.36

What have the insurers got against 120 day stayers?

Looks like the 23,040 figure should cover 180, not 120 days (~128/day).

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 8:49 AM, lapamita said:

From 10000 travelers may catch 100 covid on a 1 year contract

only 6%  in average attmited to hospital (worldwide)

on 10000 contracts you will see max 6 in hospital

10000 x average 30000 THB premium ( USD 1000) = 10 mio USD premium

For average of 6 patients  cost 40.000 USD in USA!!!!!! Most expensive in Thai cheaper

10.0000.000 USD premium

240.000 USD costs ( 6 x 40000 USD). If we take the high US number would even only 10

-> profit margin 97.6%

It say all...even if inpatients would increase by 1000% there would be 76% profit margin

Hospitalized care for COVID-19 averages $34,662 to $45,683, varying by age

Thanks for that great post lapamita! 

This rough estimation shows very well how impertinent this new state organized robbery really is!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UKresonant said:

So are they now saying that anyone over 75 can no longer consider visiting Thailand ?

So visitor age 87 could never come back on a tourist visa? (in addition the UK travel insurance premium was 22000+ baht for the planned and cancelled visit for April past) Potential visitor was previously on Multi-entry 90day non-O and only used two Tourist Visas since they stopped issuing the MEs.

So seriously is this them saying he cannot come back? (ever)

At over 75 years of age, he can subscribe to a 100.000 US $ covid-19 only insurance provided by TGIA as there is no age limitation on that policy (same premium irrespective of age - which is of course nonsense from an insurance perspective).

But it seems that such a covid-19 only insurance is NOT sufficient to return.  It needs to be a 100.000 US $ health-insurance policy that INCLUDES covid-19.

And so it looks that if you do not have already such a health-insurance policy and you are over the age that you are still eligible to subscribe to one (70, 75, 80 are tressholds often used), that it will become very difficult or very expensive to enter Thailand, because your choice of foreign/international insurance will then be limited to insurers providing coverage for elderly citizens. 

4 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

This rough estimation shows very well how impertinent this new state organized robbery really is!

The fact that these covid-19 only insurance policies charge same premium irrespective of your age, is already telltale that these are not 'serious' policies. 

The only factors affecting the premium are your nationality and the period of coverage.  The premium for to a 25 year old American is three times what a 85 year Australian will be charged.

The ONLY advantage of these TGIA covid-19 only policies is that they are not age-limited, so also availble for elderly citizens that have already a health-insurance policy that meets the 100.000 US $ coverage requirement, but which precludes covid-19.

• Like 1