"PM2.5 comeback": Bangkok spluttering but Chainat and Korat even worse

webfact

"PM2.5 comeback": Bangkok spluttering but Chainat and Korat even worse

9pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reported that the particulate matter or dust known as PM2.5 had returned to Bangkok.

But things were even worse in provinces to the north of the capital. 

Citing the AQICN.org air quality index they said that Bangkok registered 137 yesterday evening - an "Orange" level indicating unhealthy levels for people with underlying health concerns. 

In Chainat province the level was "Red" indicating unhealthy for everyone. The reading there was 154.

In Sikhio district of Nakhon Ratchasima there was a reading of 175, also in the red zone.

Online chatter suggested people were suffering from sore eyes and noses suspecting PM 2.5 was the cause. 

The media said that recent heavy rains had now abated causing the change in dust levels. 

But Bangkok was still being affected by a high pressure system from China that was keeping the worst of the dust at bay.

Rain is expected from a storm called Molave that was in the South China Sea heading for Vietnam, added Sanook.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-10-27

• Sad 2

PM2.5 rises past safe levels again in Bangkok

By The Nation

800_39bbaa4a30e970f.jpg?v=1603780156

PM2.5 dust pollution has returned to Bangkok and vicinities, where levels in three districts exceeded safe limits on Tuesday.

Pollution Control Department (PCD) reports from 71 stations in and around the capital recorded PM2.5 levels of between 25 and 52 micrograms per cubic metre.

The areas where PM2.5 exceeded the 50mg safe level were the Bangkok districts of Bang Kho Laem district ((55mg) and Bangkok Yai (51mg) and Mahachai (54mg) in Samut Sakhon province.

PCD chief Attapol Charoenchansa said the rising levels of PM2.5 stemmed from a low-temperature air mass that was causing the dust to linger.

People who live in affected areas are advised to follow pollution updates at the websites Air4Thai.com and bangkokairquality.com.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30396864

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-27

With dry weather for 5 days around Banglamung, I think the burning has already started. On Sunday the ash was falling all over my yard and pool. The ash was black - the kind you get from burning road side grass. When will they ever learn? Another winter of smoky skies.

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The media said that recent heavy rains had now abated causing the change in dust levels. 

Rain is the only thing that keeps the PM2.5 levels low, when they abate the levels rises again.

Government is preoccupied in arresting student leaders and chasing ex opposition leaders.

35 minutes ago, Venom said:

Four months of breathable air per year is all you're permitted.

Sorry, this is a bit imprecise.

2020  -  Chiang Mai University (Mae Hia)

image.png.2346195843c538c8f7f5e06c144c59b5.png

Edited by Yom
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Looks like crop burning has begun just on time for the mills to open.  As usual no monitoring.  Peoples health will suffer.  Thailands reputation will suffer.  Tourism will suffer.  Madness.

Anyone in authority give a toss????    They just talk, talk, talk and do <deleted> all!!!!! (sorry about the language).

• Sad 1

On 10/27/2020 at 6:44 AM, Toany said:

Wait until the burni g season, it will be even worse.  Thailand, one of the few countries that still allow the burning of crops like sugar cane

And the European countries still buying it while their own farmers have to follow very strict rules about pollution.

7 hours ago, fruitman said:

And the European countries still buying it ...

There are sooo many.

image.png.332286b6becc30e31144da9bd23e0809.png

Interesting too:

In the 2018/19 harvest year, a total of around 185 million tons of sugar

were produced worldwide. The German Südzucker Group is one of the

largest sugar producers in the world.

(There is a lot of sugar beet productiononly  in Germany. I think they allow importing Thai sugar

with very heavy taxes.   BavariaFirst. - Bavaria is a Federal State of Germany.)

Returning to the OP reporting 'PM2.5 levels between 25 and 52

micrograms per cubic metre'.  

That means an AQI between 78 (moderate) and 142

(unhealthy for Sensitive Groups).

https://www.airnow.gov/aqi/aqi-calculator-concentration/

Edited by Yom
link added

After years in Thailand i left because of the air pollution. When I was younger it did not affect me so much. As I got older it was causing me serious problems.

Tried living in Malaysia for a while, then the Indonesia fires broke out and it was worse than Thailand. 

• Sad 1