The 400,000-baht-in-the-bank Rule

I've got a girlfriend in Bangkok and it's possible that we may marry soon. At the moment I don't have a degree, so I'm assuming this prevents me from getting a work permit. If I manage to get 400,000 baht and keep it in a Thai bank, will that entitle me to get 1-year visas every year (and eventually residency) or will immigration get suspicious and want proof that I have a regular income rather than a lump sum that is going to be sitting there? Does anyone have any experience of this?

... by the way I'm 32 from the UK. I would like to help my girlfriend run her own business, but am I going to run up against yet more red tape with this one (like having to be a multi-million-baht investor or something)?

carl_,

after you get married, you can go to a thai consulate outside thailand and get a non immigrant O visa. when you return to thailand, go to thai immigration and get an extension of stay for one year. that's when you will need to show funds in a thai bank.

Carl,

My experience has only been reading this newsgroup for the last 10 weeks back to entries from February (so no real life meeting with officials). But some of the expert expats in here have said that the authorities do like to see monthly usage against the 400k. Really it sounds like it depends on the mood of the person you deal with each time.

I am not an advanced member yet with any experience, but I am happy to summarize the knowledge I have gained from this newsgroup. I suggest if you have time and plan to remain on this forum, read as much of the backdated posts as possible.

Good Luck!

ragtime3 :o

http://www.thaiimmigration.com/tse/In%20ca...Thai%20wife.pdf

Check out this link!

After you read this, you will know that:

Theoretically, the answer to your question is yes. They need to know where you get your money from to support your wife.

Practically, as I have read from others as well, they don't check. Everything's ok as long as you have that 400k from abroad on you Thai bank account. Maybe even more convincing if you put more on the account than just the required 400k

So if it's a woman you're dealing with; look innocent, give her a nice Thai smile, a sweet look,... :D. (I'm trying to be funny :o )

But I have no experience with all this yet.

At the moment I don't have a degree, so I'm assuming this prevents me from getting a work permit. 

What prevents you from getting a work permit is the fact you don't have a job.

College degree is NOT required to get a work permit.

It may be a requirement of the job.

TH

And if you hurry, you may even be allowed 200 000 in the bank before July 10 2004.

We were allowed that amount last Thursday with a letter from the bank stating it is sitting in a joint account. We were not asked to prove the amount was transfered from abroad. As mentioned on this forum, different officer, different mood,different rule.

Good luck

And if you hurry, you may even be allowed 200 000 in the bank before July 10 2004.

We were allowed that amount last Thursday with a letter from the bank stating it is sitting in a joint account. We were not asked to prove the amount was transfered from abroad. As mentioned on this forum, different officer, different mood,different rule.

Good luck

They are already insisting on 400,000 baht from the vast majority of applicants. The 200 k seems to be a thing of the past for the support visa.

A wife can support a foreign husband but it is not common and the wife would have to prove funds/ability. Check this link and then click on Number 2:

http://www.imm3.police.go.th/eng/application.html#02

Money in bank is shown to come from overseas by the code used on deposit entry and for a support visa this must be shown or a work permit/local employment. If there is no activity/new deposits am very sure there will be questions asked. Part of form used for support visa requires that your income be stated and they may request proof (not the same as embassy requirement for using pay). If you want a support visa type believe you had better be prepared to prove that support every year. A static account is not going to cut it IMHO.

A college degree is not a requirement for a work permit,

BUT any potential employer has to show that there are no Thai's who can do the job that you will perform.

This generally means you need a degree, or a lot of experience in your field.

A college degree is not a requirement  for a work permit,

BUT any potential employer has to show that there are no Thai's who can do the job that you will perform.

Is this some how different then what I posted?

TH

A college degree is not a requirement  for a work permit,

Is this some how different then what I posted?

TH

Same thing, but expressed differently. :o

Recently I recieved a 1 year marriage extension. Had to show the 200k was transfered from overseas and provide a bank certificate.

My question is, am I going to have to show 400k next year or am I "grandfathered" at the 200k level?

It appears you will need 400k so you should prepare for that.

I read that you need either 400,000 in a thai bank acct. or 40,000 baht a month income.

That is the new rules posted my Thai Immigration.

But I have never had to have a large bank total,as my book shows monthly deposits from abroad and numerous withdraws over time each month.

Now thats what the gal that does my interview every year wants to see,so I do it and never had any trouble yet.

I have all my paperwork up to date,and she never talks to me,just to my wife,but this will be my first time under new rules,so it might be different. and I have always been required to have 65,000 a month income for the retirement visa and this year I am going to apply for a married visa. :o