Advice regarding COE

Hi, 

I am looking for advice on my situation from those with knowledge of the COE process / Elite card process and the UK Embassy

I usually live in Thailand, was previously on an ED Visa, I left to visit London for 3 months and ended up trapped here earlier in the year.  I hold a British passport.

To resolve this I became an Elite card member, but yet to have my stamp entered into my passport. I was due to have this done this month. I would then enter the COE process. This can be done as I personally know a new elite card member in the UK who has got back to Thailand through it last week.

My issue is that it seems that on Thursday the UK will enter some form of lockdown. 

I understand details are still not known, but I was wondering if anyone with knowledge of the UK embassy, and memory of the March lockdown could tell me if its likely that they close, not affix my stamp, and not deal with COE requests.

If this is the case, and the embassy does not offer the services, I am contemplating leaving the UK this week and travelling to a different country. So my second question is, is it possible to do the COE process from a country which is not that of your passport?

The embassy has been doing everything by email and by post for sometime now. They never shut down entirely during previous shutdowns so I don't think they will do it this time.

As far as doing it another embassy it would depend upon which one you want to use. Some only offer services to citizens and residents of the country where they are located. Most of them in Europe are like that.

40 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The embassy has been doing everything by email and by post for sometime now. They never shut down entirely during previous shutdowns so I don't think they will do it this time.

As far as doing it another embassy it would depend upon which one you want to use. Some only offer services to citizens and residents of the country where they are located. Most of them in Europe are like that.

Ok thanks, so at a knowledgeable guess (and I understand theres a lot of unknowns), do you think it's likely they will continue the COE process? 

I'd rather not go to a different country if I don't need to, but concerned about issues such as those referenced in the other post you mentioned

2 minutes ago, gordog said:

Ok thanks, so at a knowledgeable guess (and I understand theres a lot of unknowns), do you think it's likely they will continue the COE process? 

I am sure they will continue to issue COE's. I can recall them being issued before during previous lockdowns.

There are still many Thai's want to return to here as well that makes even more likely they will be doing them.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am sure they will continue to issue COE's. I can recall them being issued before during previous lockdowns.

There are still many Thai's want to return to here as well that makes even more likely they will be doing them.

Thanks a lot Joe, great help. I am leaning towards leaving as I worry about whether they would: 1. Give me an appointment to put the sticker in my passport. As perhaps dealing with EliteVisa holders would be deemed non essential , 2. Whether i'd be able to get the fit to fly test , 3. Whether i'd even be allowed on the plane!, as seemingly they will block all outbound travel to anyone not travelling for work

On the other matter, is there any rule you know of regarding me having to apply for the COE in my country of origin/passport?. I wouldn't want to go through all the hassle of travelling for the Thai Embassy in the other country to say "Sorry you must do it in London!" 

Thanks again

7 minutes ago, gordog said:

1. Give me an appointment to put the sticker in my passport. As perhaps dealing with EliteVisa holders would be deemed non essential ,

You will have to send your passport by post to the embassy to get visa sicker done in your passport. Same for the  supporting documents needed.

9 minutes ago, gordog said:

2. Whether i'd be able to get the fit to fly test , 3. Whether i'd even be allowed on the plane!, as seemingly they will block all outbound travel to anyone not travelling for work

2. I cannot answer that with any certainty.

3. I don't think that will be a problem. 

12 minutes ago, gordog said:

On the other matter, is there any rule you know of regarding me having to apply for the COE in my country of origin/passport?.

I think many embassies will do it but not sure which ones. 

Perhaps check a few embassy websites for info about it here where all of them and official consulate are listed with links to their websites. https://www.thaiembassy.org/

8 minutes ago, toolpush said:

I just got my STV visa here in China and am wondering if there is an "approved" form for this Fit-To-Fly certificate. Is there some form on the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs website or Thai Immigration website?

The only ones are these examples on a embassy website. "The applicant may download the Fit to fly form at F2F form or F2F-Form (1)"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are ‘web doctors’ which will issue a Fit to Fly certificate following an online consultation.

https://gogodoc.com/fit-to-fly-health-certificate/

https://thegpservice.co.uk/pricing/

https://www.midlandhealth.org - mailed me a Covid-19 RT PCR test which I self administered and dropped off to their lab (Birmingham UK) - results received in 2 days along with a Fit to Fly certificate and Covid-19 Negative Certificate : Cost £190

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, toolpush said:

I just got my STV visa here in China and am wondering if there is an "approved" form for this Fit-To-Fly certificate. Is there some form on the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs website or Thai Immigration website?

Regarding the Fit to Fly letter... this is what the Thai Embassy in the UK responded with after I posed the question ‘in what format the Fit to Fly letter be?'

[The fit to fly does not have specific format. It can be general statement from your doctor that you do not have any symptoms and are fit to fly]

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/1/2020 at 4:11 PM, gordog said:

I'd rather not go to a different country if I don't need to, but concerned about issues such as those referenced in the other post you mentioned

Unfortunately it is very likely you will not be allowed to enter a lot of European countries or having to cope with local confinement aswel.....