Attacker with sword kills two, injures five in Quebec stabbings

webfact

Attacker with sword kills two, injures five in Quebec stabbings

By Kevin Dougherty

2020-11-01T152755Z_1_LYNXMPEGA013W_RTROPTP_4_CANADA-SECURITY-QUEBEC.JPG

Police officers detain a man in an area where multiple people were stabbed near the Parliament Hill area of Quebec City, Quebec, Canada November 1, 2020. Steve Jolicoeur via REUTERS

QUEBEC CITY, Canada (Reuters) - Two people were killed and five wounded after being stabbed by a man dressed in medieval clothes and wielding a sword, Quebec police said on Sunday, noting the attack appeared to be driven by personal motives and not linked to any terror group.

Police arrested a 24-year-old man from Montreal early on Sunday morning, Quebec Police Chief Robert Pigeon said at a news conference.

"Dressed in medieval costume and armed with a Japanese sword, everything leads us to believe he chose his victims at random," Pigeon said, adding that preliminary information indicated the man was not affiliated with any terror group.

Pigeon said the suspect had come prepared to inflict as much damage as possible but did not elaborate. Quebec newspaper Le Soleil said the suspect had gasoline containers in his car. Pigeon declined to comment on the report.

The incident began late Saturday night, on Halloween, inside the city's famed walled center. Police told nearby residents to stay indoors and made an arrest after a three-hour manhunt.

"It is once again, and we believe, an isolated act," Quebec City Mayor Regis Labeaume told reporters. "We need to have a societal debate on the subject (of mental health) because it is becoming more and more difficult to manage."

In 2017, a Canadian man gunned down six members of a Quebec City mosque and was later sentenced to life in prison.

Quebec's police chief said on Sunday that the suspect had spoken of conducting an attack "in a medical context" five years ago but was not known to police and did not have a criminal record.

(Additional reporting by Bhargav Acharya in Bengaluru; Editing by Toby Chopra and Lisa Shumaker)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-11-02

20 minutes ago, Sujo said:

And if christian im sure you will call for all christians to be deported from canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-police-stabbings-1.5785401

No, just to know which area of fruit-cake-ed-ness he came from...????

He has probably failed on all those video games and tried something he can't lose at until a bloke in modern day attire with a gun deletes his winning streak...????

Edited by transam

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Quebec's police chief said on Sunday that the suspect had spoken of conducting an attack "in a medical context" five years ago

Interesting to be reminded that nobody's medical files are ever truly "private".....

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, blazes said:

Interesting to be reminded that nobody's medical files are ever truly "private".....

They never are when it comes to crimes, police just serve notice and they must be provided. 

But in this instance  he didnt say he had them,  the suspect could have told him that.

Edited by Sujo
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 7:46 AM, Tug said:

Just a regular nut job and not a religious murder?thats almost a relief in an odd way my condolences to the bereaved and the Canadian nation 

Yes almost a relief though it does not matter much to those died. Dead is dead and murder is murder. 

But i get it its almost as if there was a terror campaign with all those attacks recently. 

8 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Death penalty is appropriate in cases like this. Not sure if Canada has it, but they NEED it.

We don't and don't need or want it.  The state as the executioner cheapens life and makes it no better than the murderers. 

Obviously planning went into it as he drove 100's of miles from his home to do this. Likely a nut job with a side case of incel. The dead are both women. A tragic event in a very beautiful city. My son and I were just talking last week about the great time we had there many moons ago.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, pegman said:
5 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Death penalty is appropriate in cases like this. Not sure if Canada has it, but they NEED it.

We don't and don't need or want it.  The state as the executioner cheapens life and makes it no better than the murderers. 

Moral arguments aside, I don't think the evidence supports it acting as much of a deterrent; saves money I suppose, and mollifies the public need for revenge. Personally, if I were a psycho nutter, I'd rather have the death sentence than rot away in prison for life. For me, the biggest argument against is it's irreversible, and I have little doubt a lot of innocent men (or women, God this PC stuff is a real pain, like when I say men I mean human beings, it's a generalisation) have gone to the gallows. Of course, if you're happy that one, or two, or more innocent men, should die, as a price of your conviction, then that's fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, nausea said:

Moral arguments aside, I don't think the evidence supports it acting as much of a deterrent; saves money I suppose, and mollifies the public need for revenge. Personally, if I were a psycho nutter, I'd rather have the death sentence than rot away in prison for life. For me, the biggest argument against is it's irreversible, and I have little doubt a lot of innocent men (or women, God this PC stuff is a real pain, like when I say men I mean human beings, it's a generalisation) have gone to the gallows. Of course, if you're happy that one, or two, or more innocent men, should die, as a price of your conviction, then that's fine.

It doesn't even save money, death sentences are much more expensive than life imprisonments.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nausea said:

Those who consider themselves too "enlightened" for the death penalty, deserve the high rates of murder and pedophilia that they get as a result. Capital punishment guarantees a 100 percent reduction in recidivism.

16 hours ago, stevenl said:

It doesn't even save money, death sentences are much more expensive than life imprisonments.

I think that needs to be qualified by which country your speaking of.  Places like Iran and Saudi don't have long drawn out appeal processes. 

18 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Those who consider themselves too "enlightened" for the death penalty, deserve the high rates of murder and pedophilia that they get as a result. Capital punishment guarantees a 100 percent reduction in recidivism.

You seem to have missed the fact the death penalty doesn't work as a deterrent. Life sentence also prevents recidivism.

So where is the connection between no death penalty and high murder rate and pedophilia? Do countries with the death penalty have lower murder rates?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, pegman said:

I think that needs to be qualified by which country your speaking of.  Places like Iran and Saudi don't have long drawn out appeal processes. 

Also a long time on death row adds to the expense.

True, but I don't think many posters here are referring to those countries.

51 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You seem to have missed the fact the death penalty doesn't work as a deterrent. Life sentence also prevents recidivism.

So where is the connection between no death penalty and high murder rate and pedophilia? Do countries with the death penalty have lower murder rates?

Kemal Ataturk had a very effective remedy for terrorist murders. He simply burnt and bombed cities into ash in retribution. It worked and although Turkey is a predominately Muslim country, there are no outbreaks of terrorism and murder. The "statistics" showing no decrease in crime as the result of capital punishment, have been proven as faked. Countries that want to be "merciful" to the worst criminal elements are generally places which have the most problems,

• Like 1