What Is Wrong With Issan People?

Luckydog

None of the Thais I know have a good word to say about Issan people here in Pattaya.

Any one tell me why that might be ?

One shouldn't generalise I know that, but what makes them so unpopular.......?

(Actually I have good reason to dislike them. One jogged my elbow whilst I was picking my nose recently)

See avatar.

Edited by Luckydog

Yes, it feels like racism when you hear it and you hear it alot. They have a different culture than central Thailand, they are an "other". There is the Lao aspect (Thais feel superior to Laos), the sticky rice eating, the darker skin, the poverty, etc. It is ugly to hear, and very pervasive. Why ask what is wrong with Issan people? Better to ask what is wrong with central Thais for being so racist?

Edited by Jingthing

Isaan is the poorest region of Thailand, therefore the Isaan people you tend to meet in Pattaya tend to be poor (and coicidentaly the sex industry in Thailand is predominantly staffed with people from Isaan).

So, poor sex workers.

Where in the world are such poeple not looked down upon?

Not to sure but maybe its because they are northeners and southern thais think they are all just poor farmers who eat anything and everything :o

interesting i would like to know as well

Why ask what is wrong with Issan people? Better to ask what is wrong with central Thais for being so racist?

It's not just central Thais who are racist against Isaan. My g/f is from around Chiang Mai, and she hates people from Isaan. She thinks they are all lying, theiving, cheating scumbags who don't clean up after themselves.

Why ask what is wrong with Issan people? Better to ask what is wrong with central Thais for being so racist?

It's not just central Thais who are racist against Isaan. My g/f is from around Chiang Mai, and she hates people from Isaan. She thinks they are all lying, theiving, cheating scumbags who don't clean up after themselves.

Yep! My Missus and her mates all say that exactly.

Isaan is the poorest region of Thailand, therefore the Isaan people you tend to meet in Pattaya tend to be poor (and coicidentaly the sex industry in Thailand is predominantly staffed with people from Isaan).

So, poor sex workers.

Where in the world are such poeple not looked down upon?

What a good point!

My opinion as a Thai (born&living in BKK) is that racist on Isaan people by BKK people is very few these days. I would say that of my current colleagues and close friends, less than 5% ever acted toward racism in front of my eyes. Plus, this racist thing is rarely an issue in our society because it's now almost non-existance. Why you or your GF think so? I really have no idea.