Seventeen U.S. states report record increase in COVID-19 cases

webfact

Seventeen U.S. states report record increase in COVID-19 cases

By Lisa Shumaker and Anurag Maan

2020-11-05T211022Z_1_LYNXMPEGA41R0_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-USA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A sign warning of the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is seen in front of the closed Chicago Board of Trade in Chicago, Illinois, U.S., April 23, 2020. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton/File Photo

(Reuters) - Seventeen out of 50 U.S. states reported record one-day increases in cases of the novel coronavirus on Thursday, a day after the country set a record with nearly 105,000 new infections reported on Wednesday, according to a Reuters tally.

The outbreak is spreading in every region but is hitting the Midwest the hardest, based on new cases per capita. Previously, the most states that reported records for new cases in a single day was 16 on Oct. 30, according to Reuters data.

Illinois reported nearly 10,000 new cases on Thursday and along with Texas is leading the United States in the most cases reported in the last seven days.

Other Midwestern states with record increases in cases on Thursday were Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, Ohio and Wisconsin. Arkansas, Maine, Kentucky, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Utah and West Virginia also set records for rises in new infections.

Some cities and states have announced new measures such as curfews or reduced gathering sizes to combat the spread of the virus, but the United States has taken no action at the federal level. Seventeen out of 50 states do not require masks.

Many countries in Europe are shutting high-risk businesses and even ordering national or regional lockdowns in the face of a second wave of the virus.

In addition to rising cases, U.S. hospitalizations of COVID-19 patients rose to over 52,500 on Thursday, up for an 11th consecutive day and getting closer to the record of 58,370 set in July.

North Dakota reported only eight free intensive care unit beds in the entire state on Thursday. Hospitalization are a key metric because they are not affected by the amount of testing done.

Coronavirus deaths are trending higher but not at the same rate as cases. The United States is averaging 850 deaths a day, up from 700 a month ago.

In recent days, six states have reported their highest one-day increases in pandemic deaths: Arkansas, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, West Virginia and Wyoming.

The pandemic has affected nearly every aspect of American life, including a record number of voters mailing in their ballots in Tuesday's elections.

(Reporting by Lisa Shumaker in Chicago and Anurag Maan in Bengaluru; editing by Jonathan Oatis and Grant McCool)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-11-06

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Seventeen out of 50 states do not require masks.

That's sad news. 

I would call it a nice balance so everyone can have their pick. Choose a mask state if you wish, and if you don't it is not enforced upon you.

• Sad 2

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

What about reports on how something that Trump said would be gone by Easter has killed over 233,000 Americans and is still killing?

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases_casesper100klast7days

It was my understanding that Jeffr2 was asking about long term case specific health effects. You've taken my comment out of context. My comment was responding to any long term health effects an individual may have after recovering from the illness. 

1 minute ago, Tounge Thaied said:

It was my understanding that Jeffr2 was asking about long term case specific health effects. You've taken my comment out of context. My comment was responding to any long term health effects an individual may have after recovering from the illness. 

Nevertheless, your attempts to portray this as 1: not a pandemic and 2: not a serious threat to life and health is shot through by the death count and your ‘blindness’ to well publicized research on long term health impacts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rabang said:

I would call it a nice balance so everyone can have their pick. Choose a mask state if you wish, and if you don't it is not enforced upon you.

What you don't seem to understand is that masks aren't only worn to protect the wearer. In fact, that isn't even the #1 reason. They're warn to protects others from the wearer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

What are the rates of people who suffer long term damage from the disease?

What about hospitals that are actually having to send patients to hospitals farther away because they are at capacity?

What about the shortage of N95 masks (thanks Trump)?

I've made my point... caveats abound. I realize my opinions here are contrary to the usual narrative... but in my humble opinion, it is important that we consider all the facts and allow ourselves to draw our own conclusions. It doesn't mean of course my opinions here are entirely correct... but a healthy debate at a minimum should include someone to play "Devils Advocate" for the sake of establishing the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. 

Just now, Tounge Thaied said:

I've made my point... caveats abound. I realize my opinions here are contrary to the usual narrative... but in my humble opinion, it is important that we consider all the facts and allow ourselves to draw our own conclusions. It doesn't mean of course my opinions here are entirely correct... but a healthy debate at a minimum should include someone to play "Devils Advocate" for the sake of establishing the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. 

Thanks for the deflection. I don't think I've ever gotten a germane answer to this question from those casting  doubt on the seriousness of covid-19.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Well sir, I must protest your characterization of my comments. I never implied that this was not a serious life threat. In fact, I have provided factual information that is is in fact a serious life threat for the stated statistical numbers provided by the CDC.

Here are the updated survival rates by age group:

0-19: 99.997%
20-49: 99.98%
50-69: 99.5%
70+: 94.6% https://t.co/9RRLgsBHta

Deaths by age:
0-19 years: 0.00003

20-49 years: 0.0002
50-69 years: 0.005
70+ years: 0.054

Here’s the latest update on deaths:

+1,141 New Deaths

Refer CDC link I already posted.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, placeholder said:

What you don't seem to understand is that masks aren't only worn to protect the wearer. In fact, that isn't even the #1 reason. They're warn to protects others from the wearer.

So you can move to state where others are protecting you, as I already told.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Here’s the latest update on deaths:

+1,141 New Deaths

Refer CDC link I already posted.

November 4th was 1,616 deaths.  Almost 3 jumbo jets and not far off 9/11.  Sad some try to minimize the dangers of this virus.  Oh, and almost 108k new cases.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rabang said:

So you can move to state where others are protecting you, as I already told.

Or, get those who deny the severity of the virus to mask up.  If that doesn't work, do what many other nations have done.  Big fines.

43 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Sure. Sell your home and move elsewhere. Got any more ridiculous suggestions?

Stop the obsession with what people are wearing or not on their faces. Worrying about it too much will shorten your life more than the virus probably will.

Edited by rabang
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

When I asked you for more ridiculous suggestions, I didn't think you'd actually comply. Thanks.

Stop the obsession with what people are wearing or not on their faces. Worrying about it too much will shorten your life more than the virus probably will. For ridiculous ideas such as a piece of cloth stopping a pandemic you can only get ridiculous answers. Look at European countries with mandatory masks and their case rates going through the roof.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, rabang said:

Stop the obsession with what people are wearing or not on their faces. Worrying about it too much will shorten your life more than the virus probably will.

When people threaten my health by driving dangerously I object. When people threaten my health by spreading their germs unnecessarily I object.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

When people threaten my health by driving dangerously I object. When people threaten my health by spreading their germs unnecessarily I object.

It has always happened and will keep happening as long as people exist. That is why we have this thing called immune system.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1