Forum upgrade in progress! ×

What's the modern day equivalent of a Walkman ?

Daffy D

8 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Talking about walkman's . Still have one, getting older brand new. Just bought it before mp3 came out, of course switched then and the walkman moved into 

the closet, but it is still there. Also a high tech Aiwa cassette player, getting older, brand new. Both bought on wrong moment. 

IMG_20201107_111014.jpg

Ha! I remember them days and having to carry the Walkman while jogging. We've come far, needless to say.

Edited by BigStar

On 11/6/2020 at 5:06 PM, Daffy D said:

I'm looking for a MP3 player something like the Walkman used to be. Hope I'm not the only one that remembers those :whistling:

Anyway don't want an Apple product, too expensive and don't need a phone with all it's gizmos.

Just a simple player with headphones that will play MP3 music or an audio book, and drown out all the village noises while I'm relaxing in the shade in the hammock in the afternoons would do just fine. :smile:

Cheers  

Sorry, cannot advise. I have used iPhone to listen to my music or BBC Worldnews while exercise walking in the park. I do have an old iPod which is fitted to my radio speakers when in the office ... soft romantic Thai music, Gregorian Chants or my '60s downloaded song when the spirit hits me.

Btw there is a software i like to use for upgrading my music. You can make it anyway you like it.

If you have poor sound, not strong signal, you can boost it and many other things. Like adding treble or bass. 

You can cut clipping, distort it, put reverb to it, well many things. It also adds other possibilities from other programs, like guitarrig.

Up till now it is still free and it is called audicity. I love that program very much.

3 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Sorry, cannot advise. I have used iPhone to listen to my music or BBC Worldnews while exercise walking in the park. I do have an old iPod which is fitted to my radio speakers when in the office ... soft romantic Thai music, Gregorian Chants or my '60s downloaded song when the spirit hits me.

Oh my lord now really scraping the bottom of my memory barrel. Haven't heard or even thought about  Gregorian Chants since my school days. :w00t:

On 11/6/2020 at 11:06 AM, Daffy D said:

I'm looking for a MP3 player something like the Walkman used to be. Hope I'm not the only one that remembers those :whistling:

You can still bay a Walkman, but it will not play cassette-tapes – I just bought one that can play musicasettes for my daughter, that's a trend be teens to play real old-fashioned tapes, with that sound quality – take a look at these Lazada suggestions, the also have more affordable Chinese products, if you are not specifically looking for a Sony, just repeat the search without a brand name...????

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

Oh my lord now really scraping the bottom of my memory barrel. Haven't heard or even thought about  Gregorian Chants since my school days. :w00t:

I use Gregorian Chants to relax when having massage, it's great...????

19 hours ago, VBF said:

Well, I have some old 78 RPM records of my father's including this one which I've remastered to FLAC files, then down to MP3 to play on my phone

Now THAT'S a generation jump!

Ella.jpg.5b2fb9957a65c7047d2b83df976c280b.jpg

Cool, but I skip the difficult generation jumps and just play the originals on my still going strong genuine player that don't need neither to be online, nor running dry of powerbank...:thumbsup:

wIMG_9733_Grammophone-anno-1899_w800.thumb.jpg.742993f96072dd5cff30c4dd226076ed.jpg

• Haha 1

I download videos from Youtube, then convert them to MP3 using a file converter.

https://www.freefileconvert.com/

Transfer to my phone, use earbuds with a Bluetooth connection to the phone. Very good sound quality, have about 500 musical pieces on the phone. I can move about 10 metres away from the phone before the sound cuts out.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, VBF said:

Well, I have some old 78 RPM records of my father's including this one which I've remastered to FLAC files, then down to MP3 to play on my phone

Now THAT'S a generation jump!

Ella.jpg.5b2fb9957a65c7047d2b83df976c280b.jpg

My earliest memories of hearing  music from a  machine  was  from a  wind up  phonograph that had the choice of  78  or  33 rpm playing speeds.

My Mother had a small collection of some (to me) horrible fragile discs she would  play occasionally.

They eventually  failed  to play despite the coin  placed on the arm to keep it in the  groove even as that coin  progressed  from  farthing to  halfpenny  then penny!

The only one that I  have inherited  and which  still  plays  (mostly)  is a relatively   new one in her  collection that she  did not  like is  Stanley Holloway  reciting the  tale of Albert and the Lion and  on the  B side  Sam Joins the Army. Even as a  child I had  to  enjoy and  laugh at the  sardonic humour .

Having  the  life  experience of  going  from watching a  crude  needle extract   sound to  emanate from an ornate  horn to now experiencing  sound of good  quality injected  via wireless ear buds from a  source  unseen

is my personal equivalent  to the experience my  parents  had to witnessing the technology of  telephony, flying machines  becoming a standard means  of  military assignation and secondary  new form of  convenient public transport , nuclear weapons as the demonstrable incentive  to adhere to collective submission to a  select  agenda and onward  onward.

Now it has all been incorporated into a hand held  device  or  smaller.

The variables  of that  device   can now provide many of the wishes  of society bar  physical  flight (exceptions  being booking flights or announcing  one prior to  leaping  off a  building !)

The progression of  such relatively  rapid progress  may be  implants that allow selectivity in application of  the practical, enjoyable  and the inevitable indoctrination  of ?

How  strange is it that  which society  has been so  welcoming  to adopt in the  belief that it  somehow empowers them to  express themselves , participate in  social outcomes, resist manipulative  dominance etc they have enabled by funding exactly the  opposite of their  presumed  objectives.

I  could  expand and  expound   further  but will relent except  to say that  if there be those who have objection  to my discourse  should  hark  back to the  response to my  much earlier  question to the  OP.

That response removed any question as  to specifics of topic in the interest of  eliciting  comment  in the context of an open forum.

Modern "Walkman" equivalent?  Why  not a  cheap  harmonica  and   blow  to  hearts  content ?????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

if for just in hammock, you have a few options depending how far from other devices you may own,
if your PC or TV has Bluetooth and is in range of your hammock,
you could just buy some bluetooth ear buds
otherwise a cheap android phone will suffice

Edited by patman30

5 hours ago, khunPer said:

Cool, but I skip the difficult generation jumps and just play the originals on my still going strong genuine player that don't need neither to be online, nor running dry of powerbank...:thumbsup:

wIMG_9733_Grammophone-anno-1899_w800.thumb.jpg.742993f96072dd5cff30c4dd226076ed.jpg

Bit of a PITA when the rubber band snaps though, innit?  ????

:sorry:

Edited by VBF
  • Haha 1

On 11/6/2020 at 5:06 PM, Daffy D said:

Anyway don't want an Apple product, too expensive and don't need a phone with all it's gizmos.

Buy a cheap phone & delete all the apps you don't want... 

use the free camera to take a shot of the sea view while you relax.

On 11/7/2020 at 12:03 AM, Daffy D said:

Didn't know you could do that :blink:

Will it play MP3 ? 

Yes providing you have the correct software in it.  ThIs is als available free (Google Play)and most smartphones will have it in the factory O.S., as bought.  Ask at the shop.  If the phone will hold a separate S.D card you can put an almost unlimited amount of music on it.   A good walkman product will have better sound production than a cheap phone but this is purely subjective.  I have a 10 year old pink Samsung player and it is outstanding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I do not think you will hear the difference between mp3 or flac when listening on a phone, or via the internet eg YouTube.

OK, if you put the flacs or even wavs on your SD card and listen through very good headphones/buds you may hear a slight difference. But the DA converters in 'normal' smart phones will not be the best.

You think wrong. If you cannot hear the difference then I don't know what to tell you. Either your hearing is gone or your perception.

I have the same songs; lossless and mp3 320kbps. Everything is lacking with the mp3 conversions in comparison. 

This on phone, laptop etc

I have no idea why you would even suggest such a thing. It is totally erroneous. Not unlike someone saying there is no difference between VHS video and DVD Video, as long as you play the video on a tiny two inch TV.

You will hear the difference on a normal set of 2:1 speakers or any headphones that aren't the cheapest of the cheap.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

34 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

You think wrong. If you cannot hear the difference then I don't know what to tell you. Either your hearing is gone or your perception.

I have the same songs; lossless and mp3 320kbps. Everything is lacking with the mp3 conversions in comparison. 

This on phone, laptop etc

I have no idea why you would even suggest such a thing. It is totally erroneous. Not unlike someone saying there is no difference between VHS video and DVD Video, as long as you play the video on a tiny two inch TV.

You will hear the difference on a normal set of 2:1 speakers or any headphones that aren't the cheapest of the cheap.

Yes, my hearing IS gone if you consider above 11kHz to be gone. After 40 odd years playing live music it's not unexpected.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Yes, my hearing IS gone if you consider above 11kHz to be gone. After 40 odd years playing live music it's not unexpected.

11 kHz seems relatively limited. I haven't been tested of late, so make no further comment regarding that.

I play too...but took precautions. But even with that, if you know how things should sound, you especially should hear the difference. Lossless a much fuller, more complete presentation.

9 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

11 kHz seems relatively limited. I haven't been tested of late, so make no further comment regarding that.

I play too...but took precautions. But even with that, if you know how things should sound, you especially should hear the difference. Lossless a much fuller, more complete presentation.

Analogous ist best, so Live Music is best. If you dance to it and move your head, your ears won't be too exposed to the hammering beat. And you can always step back from the amps, smoke a cigarette or drink beer with the bar girls around. 

I never use earphones for that reason. I must move with the music, and it's also some kind of exercise.