Where To Get Good Low Cost Wine In Pattaya

edd

My friends have just moved to Pattaya, they are wine drinkers :o but they are finding the wine there more expensive than the UK. :D

Any recommendations as to where they can find the best deals would be appreciated. :D

I have already done a search on Thai Visas to no avail.

....but they are finding the wine there more expensive than the UK.

Must be the 300-400% (?) import/excise duty on wines.

I'm sure others here will be able to clarify that figure.

My friends have just moved to Pattaya, they are wine drinkers :o but they are finding the wine there more expensive than the UK. :D

Any recommendations as to where they can find the best deals would be appreciated. :D

Foodland has a fair selection and as is cheap as anywhere...but not as cheap as the UK.

BEst Supermarket on Pattaya North road has a good wine display, classified by country of origin.

They frequently have specials and low cost wines (2-300 THB)

don't be a cheapskate - go for the good stuff

:o

Edited by sinom

i am advised that very good wine (i assume imported French) is to be had in Laos and much cheaper than Thailand. i recently went there and upon return, my buddy asked if i brought back any wine.

when you cross the bridge via car, vehicle inspections are very low-key so as long as you are not a total arse and load a minibus full of cases of the stuff, u shld be able to bring back a reasonable amount.

since he hadn't mentioned this b4 i went, i missed the opportunity. but next time....

edd, to save money on this you have to buy in 2 litre bottles. There is a old run down supermarket on beach road called "Modern City"" next door to Mikes Shopping Mall. Go in through the rough food service area from street level and you will find it. You can find reds for around 400 to 450 baht per 2 litre bottle, most are Italian or French. Some are quite good, others are not so good, you got to try a few and then stick to the ones you like. There is a Merlot you can get that I like the most, just as good as any of the expensive stuff. You can buy these 2 litre bottles in Friendship, Best Supermarket and Carrerfour too but I find "Modern City"is slightly cheaper, happy drinking.

edd, to save money on this you have to buy in 2 litre bottles. There is a old run down supermarket on beach road called "Modern City"" next door to Mikes Shopping Mall. Go in through the rough food service area from street level and you will find it. You can find reds for around 400 to 450 baht per 2 litre bottle, most are Italian or French. Some are quite good, others are not so good, you got to try a few and then stick to the ones you like. There is a Merlot you can get that I like the most, just as good as any of the expensive stuff. You can buy these 2 litre bottles in Friendship, Best Supermarket and Carrerfour too but I find "Modern City"is slightly cheaper, happy drinking.

Thanks for the Info, I will pass it on. :o

PS. I dont drink my self.

There is a Merlot you can get that I like the most, just as good as any of the expensive stuff. You can buy these 2 litre bottles in Friendship, Best Supermarket and Carrerfour too but I find "Modern City"is slightly cheaper..

i don't consider myself a real connoisseur but whatever cheap wines i tried in Thailand were absolutely lowest quality :o and -compared to the more expensive wines- horribly overpriced.

The Italian restaurant on the hill between Pattaya and Jomtien next to the big Jade sign has nice red table wine for very low price..no idea how they can do that!

Can you buy that as a take away or are you suppose to have it there with your meal?

The Italian restaurant on the hill between Pattaya and Jomtien next to the big Jade sign has nice red table wine for very low price..no idea how they can do that!

Can you buy that as a take away or are you suppose to have it there with your meal?

never asked for the take-away option, but sold is sold I guess....

There are no wine bagains to be had in Pattaya. I have tried pretty much everything here without much success. I prefer California wines and have had to give them up. Just not available at anyway near a decent price.

I have pretty much settled on Taras(Australia), Columbia Crest(Washington state), and Frontera(Chile) as my every day wines but they are way over priced.

You can pick up Columbia Crest at Tops at about 650 baht. In the US, these are $7 so you are paying about a 150% markup and these are the entry level or vintner's reserve. The premiums stuff is simply not available.

A decent Shiraz such as Jacobs Creek Reserve is about 1200 baht or again about a 150% mark-up.

You will have to try the cheaper vineyards from Chile or Austrailia to maybe find one to your liking.

My Daughter drinks lots of wine and has settled on Taras as her every day wine. Again, a 150% mark-up.