UK Passport Retiree with valid O visa

I'm in USA (in a relatively low-COVID area). I want to return to Thailand soonest - my O visa expires on 09Jan21 and I'd like to renew it in Chonburi if possible.

Unfortunately I only have a "common law" relationship with my Thai wife of more than 30 years and all of our property in Thailand is in her name, so I most likely cannot meet the requirements for a "Spouse" permit. (I do have more than sufficient funds in Thai bank accounts to meet the financial criteria). The "Rules" suggest that only OA Visas are suitable (the YouTube video from the US Lawyer in BKK clarified the difference between an O and an OA - good job), but COVID related rules and decisions seem to be changing on an almost daily basis.

Will the Thai Embassy in USA process my application and issue to me a COE if I comply with all of the insurance and other requirements?

I will be contacting the Embassy, but thought it worthwhile to ask here first.

Since you are not legally married you do not qualify for certificate of entry.

Immigration does not renew visas. They will issue a extension of the 90 day permit to stay from a non-o visa.

Unless you are a legal resident of the US you will not be able to apply for a OA visa there if you are citizen of the UK.

Requirements are here for the certificate of entry can be found here. https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

The requirements for the OA visa is here. https://thaiembdc.org/2020/09/30/nonimmigrantoaox/

• Like 1

It sounds as though you have a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement issued by Chonburi Immigration (a permit) expiring on 9th Jan 2021. Your original Non O Visa expired a long time ago.

Under current restrictions as a retiree (not legally married) you cannot re-enter Thailand unless you obtain a Non O-A Visa (long stay). Unless you have residency status in the US, then the O-A Visa would only be available from the UK.

Your choices are therefore limited to either returning to the UK to apply for the O-A Visa, or wait until restrictions are lifted and re-enter Thailand VE (Visa exempt) or on a Tourist Visa.

• Like 1

As @Tanoshi wrote > As a UK passport holder your choices are limited to either returning to the UK to apply for the O-A Visa, or wait until restrictions are lifted and re-enter Thailand VE (Visa exempt) or on a Tourist Visa (which might be a long wait...).

When  you apply for a long-stay Non Imm O-A Visa in UK, that Visa can provide you with almost 2 years of stay in Thailand without the need of having to visit a local IO to apply for a 1-year extension (nor the need to park/transfer funds to a Thai bank-account).

The Non Imm O-A Visa does however require mandatory IO-approved health-insurance (easy to meet if you know how).  I did sent you a PM with details on how to do that, in case you consider going for it.

>> To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

I only just got to read the replies - sorry I am not familiar with this Forum's system.

Thanks to all of you, particularly to Peter Denis - those Insurance Guidance documents are very helpful.

OK, so my current Retirement Visa "Extension" is useless. I cannot apply for an O-A in USA. I am really not keen on going to UK to hang out in a hotel (in a high COVID area) for several weeks waiting to get an O-A there.

I thought that Singapore might be an option - but now I realise that as a non-Singaporean or PR there, I cannot apply to the Thai Embassy in Singapore.

I read about a European guy who went to Cambodia and found a way to get an STV (or some other type of permit) and entered Thailand from there, but that all sounds a bit "iffy" and my Thai missus is not keen at all on me getting stuck in Cambodia!

No doubt there are many, many others in much worse predicaments than me, but I'm not looking forward to a winter in USA.

• Thanks 1

You can now apply for the new single entry tourist visa in the US now. You will need the equivalent of 500k baht in the bank for 6 month to apply and the change to a non-o visa. See: https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/05/trsingle_entry/

Or wait to see if they start allowing those with valid extension and re-entry permit to apply for a certificate of entry.

I just went to the link provided by Ubonjoe.

I then clicked on the "application here" button. That brought me to the first page of the application procedure. It states as follows:-

============================================

Currently, the following types of visas are NOT permitted to enter Thailand: Transit passengers (TS), Sports visa holders (S), Monks and other religious visa holders (R) and their spouses or children, Volunteers (O), and non-formal students visa holders (such as language schools, diving schools, boxing schools). 

Due to a high number of infection rate, the APEC card holders and the applicants who are currently in the USA and wish to obtain Special Tourist Visa (STV) do not fall under the categories that could enter Thailand at the moment, please check back regularly for any updates.

============================================

I will try to call the Embassy tomorrow to seek clarification - the wording is not perfectly explicit, but, as best that I can judge, I am not currently permitted to apply for an STV in USA due to the high level of COVID here (even though it is a documented fact that the COVID rate in the State and County where I reside is not high).

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can now apply for the new single entry tourist visa in the US now. You will need the equivalent of 500k baht in the bank for 6 month to apply and the change to a non-o visa. See: https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/05/trsingle_entry/

Or wait to see if they start allowing those with valid extension and re-entry permit to apply for a certificate of entry.

Do I understand correctly that it is now possible for a foreigner to apply for a Non OA retirement visa from outside Thailand and get a COE, but it is not possible for a foreigner who has an extension of stay based on the same category of visa, and is now outside Thailand, to get a COE?  If that’s right, why on earth (other than “TIT”) would that be the case?

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You would not be applying for a STV.  The STV is different and allows a 90 day entry that can be extended twice for 90 days.

You will be applying for the new single entry tourist visa.

Joe - what would he then do when his permission of stay under the TR is up?

Is it still posisble to do an in-country change to non-O?

25 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Do I understand correctly that it is now possible for a foreigner to apply for a Non OA retirement visa from outside Thailand and get a COE, but it is not possible for a foreigner who has an extension of stay based on the same category of visa, and is now outside Thailand, to get a COE?  If that’s right, why on earth (other than “TIT”) would that be the case?

There have been reports from applicants successfully applying for the CoE based on their still valid permission to stay (protected by a Re-Entry Permit) from their 1-year extension of stay based on their original Non Imm O-A Visa.  Same for those married to a Thai national with a still valid permission to stay (protected by a Re-Entry Permit) from their 1-year extension of stay based on an original Non Imm O Visa.

There was some initial confusion on this issue because the Thai Embassies only referred to those with a VISA as eligible for the CoE.

• Like 1

I tried to call the Visa Section at the Thai Embassy in Washington DC this morning, several times, did not pick up.

Based upon the very helpful advice above I am going to simply apply for a TR visa and try to get back to Thailand in December. Hopefully I can then renew my Non-B Retirement Extension at my local Immigration Department as usual in early January.

Fingers crossed!

4 hours ago, radjag said:

I tried to call the Visa Section at the Thai Embassy in Washington DC this morning, several times, did not pick up.

Based upon the very helpful advice above I am going to simply apply for a TR visa and try to get back to Thailand in December. Hopefully I can then renew my Non-B Retirement Extension at my local Immigration Department as usual in early January.

Fingers crossed!

radjag,

i did encounter a similar problem when trying to get in contact with the consulate in Germany. I think the best way is now to use the new website https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/

This site can be used for the complete Visa and/or CoE process. Unfortunatelly there is no function where you can ask questions. You have to follow their rules and upload the required documents. Once you do it correctly, you will be offered an appointment on the choosen RTE/RTC. Done right, it really works great and fast!

I just went through the complete process. I left Thailand with a ME Re-Entry Permit and an extension of stay based on my Non O for reason of retirement. Finding that all my stamps in the Passport are worthless at the moment. So i choose the Non O A Visa and all went well.... Once i arrive in ASQ i will write done my path... guess i will have enough time there. LOL.

John

• Like 1

John - Piscis,

Wow, thanks. I had just started filling in online application on the Thai Embassy in Washington site, but there does not appear to be a "save" option.

I will now shift to the site you refer.

Great. Thanks.

9 hours ago, radjag said:

If you enter on a Tourist visa any existing extension of stay would not be valid. You would first have to apply for non-o visa at immigration to get a 90 day permit to stay and then apply for the extension.

9 hours ago, radjag said:

The embassy is doing about everything online or by email. 

The email addresses for the embassy and the 3 official consulates are shown at number 9 here.

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/07/23/faq-for-non-thais-wishing-to-enter-thailand-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/

• Like 1

From what I've read this morning, it appears that my current Retirement Extension is still valid and I only need a CoE, but that remains to be proven. I'm waiting for confirmation of flights, ASQ hotel and, most importantly, Insurance from LMG in BKK. Once I get all of that I will submit the application online for a CoE and will then see whether I actually need a fresh visa or not. 

If I have to get a fresh TR visa and that automatically invalidates my existing Retirement Extension that is still OK. As UbonJoe has stated, I will then just have to start again at IO Jomtien, get 90 days then extend. A PITA, but not outrageous.

My pal in BKK also just warned me to be careful about potentially booking an ASQ in Pattaya (there are now 3 listed on one of the latest ASQ lists I've seen) because TAT stated last week (reported in the BKK Post) that only ASQ hotels in BKK are permitted. I'm trying to verify that now.

9 minutes ago, radjag said:

From what I've read this morning, it appears that my current Retirement Extension is still valid and I only need a CoE, but that remains to be proven.

Yes, when your permission to stay has not expired yet (and when protected by a Re-Entry Permit) it is indeed still valid.

BUT, that in itself is not enough to return to Thailand.  In order to be eligible for the CoE using the above you have to meet one of the following conditions:

- that valid permission to stay based on an extension from an original Non Imm O-A Visa;

- you being married to a Thai national or with Thai dependent children.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, radjag said:

Fingers crossed!

Good luck and please let us know what happens.  

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, when your permission to stay has not expired yet (and when protected by a Re-Entry Permit) it is indeed still valid.

BUT, that in itself is not enough to return to Thailand.  In order to be eligible for the CoE using the above you have to meet one of the following conditions:

- that valid permission to stay based on an extension from an original Non Imm O-A Visa;

- you being married to a Thai national or with Thai dependent children.

I have a retirement extension based on a non-Imm O-A and a multiple re-entry permit.  Both valid til next February.   I am in Thailand and may have to visit Canada.  It doesn’t sound like there’s any assurance I could get back even while those documents are still in effect.  You mentioned reports that some people have got COE’s in my circumstances but if there’s nothing officially published that allows this it seems it would be very risky to leave the country.   Do we have any detail on those reports or any reason to be confident others like me would get a COE?

56 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

I have a retirement extension based on a non-Imm O-A and a multiple re-entry permit.  Both valid til next February.   I am in Thailand and may have to visit Canada.  It doesn’t sound like there’s any assurance I could get back even while those documents are still in effect.  You mentioned reports that some people have got COE’s in my circumstances but if there’s nothing officially published that allows this it seems it would be very risky to leave the country.   Do we have any detail on those reports or any reason to be confident others like me would get a COE?

Yes, there have been reports of applicants in a similar situation that were able to meet the CoE criterion for entering Thailand when using the still valid permission to stay (protected by a ReEntry Permit) based on the extension of their original Non Imm O-A Visa.

But when that permission to stay expires in February, it would as good as certain be more worthwhile for you to simply apply for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa when over in Canada.  That way you would not be forced to extend your current permission to stay again when back in Thailand, as that new Non Imm O-A can provide you with almost 2-year of stay in Thailand without need for extensions (nor having to park/transfer funds to a Thai bank-account). 

17 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, there have been reports of applicants in a similar situation that were able to meet the CoE criterion for entering Thailand when using the still valid permission to stay (protected by a ReEntry Permit) based on the extension of their original Non Imm O-A Visa.

But when that permission to stay expires in February, it would as good as certain be more worthwhile for you to simply apply for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa when over in Canada.  That way you would not be forced to extend your current permission to stay again when back in Thailand, as that new Non Imm O-A can provide you with almost 2-year of stay in Thailand without need for extensions (nor having to park/transfer funds to a Thai bank-account). 

Peter, thanks.  Is there any problem applying (from outside Thailand) for a new Non Imm O-A while my current extension (based on the same kind of visa) is still in effect?  Or do I have to wait until the extension expires before applying?  My plan now is to try to put off visiting Canada until next February, when I can get a further 1 year extension here, and then leave.  When I'm ready to return to Thailand (probably a few months later) I'd apply for the COE based on my extension and re-entry permit.  If that failed, I would apply for a new Non Imm O-A and, once I have it, apply for the COE based on that.    But this fall-back assumes I can get a new visa while my extension is still valid.  I'm guessing I can, and that the extension would simply be over-ridden by the new visa.  Correct?

24 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Peter, thanks.  Is there any problem applying (from outside Thailand) for a new Non Imm O-A while my current extension (based on the same kind of visa) is still in effect?  Or do I have to wait until the extension expires before applying?  My plan now is to try to put off visiting Canada until next February, when I can get a further 1 year extension here, and then leave.  When I'm ready to return to Thailand (probably a few months later) I'd apply for the COE based on my extension and re-entry permit.  If that failed, I would apply for a new Non Imm O-A and, once I have it, apply for the COE based on that.    But this fall-back assumes I can get a new visa while my extension is still valid.  I'm guessing I can, and that the extension would simply be over-ridden by the new visa.  Correct?

Hi, you can ONLY apply for a new Non Imm O-A Visa at a Thai Embassy/Consulate in your home-country (or in the country where you have legal permanent residency).

But re the issue you mention about applying for a new Visa at the Thai Embassy when the permission to stay (protected by a Re-Entry Permit) of your current Visa is still valid, there have been mixed reports on that issue.

Some applicants were successful doing that, and others have been denied a new Visa because of their present one still valid (although not clear whether they applied with a still valid Visa or with a still valid permission to stay from an extension of their original Visa).

So in order to avoid any problems, it would be recommended to enquire beforehand at the Embassy whether it would create any issues.  And if so, you also have of course the option to first apply for a new passport (which would cover your tracks re that still valid permission to stay).

In my case, i still had a permission to stay and a ME Re-Entry permit in my passport stamped. This was based on my previous issued Non O for reason of retirement. The RTE/RTC in Germany did not have any problems in giving me a new Visa (Non O A in this case), even there was still a valid permission of stay in the passport... So basically, at this time i have a valid Non O A (1 year) and a permission to stay incl. ME Re-Entry permit in my passport. Given the fact that a CoE was only issued because of the new Non O A, the Non O is at this time worthless.

If you want to find out if your current permission to stay would be accepted at the RTE in Canada to get a CoE, you may want to try this: 

- Visit the MFA website https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/  

- Choose the RTE/RTC you are planning to get the CoE or Visa from once back in Canada.

- Open a new case by using your existing Non OA Visa´s  extension to stay.

- Upload all required documents

- You will get a 6 digit code for future reference

It takes a few hours or up to three days for them to reply.

You will be given the information from the relevant RTE/RTC that you have choosen if the information you uploaded makes you eligible for a CoE.

The CoE will be issued online. The only problem i see here is that you will get the CoE only if you forward ALL required documents, such us ASQ booking, health insurance and flight details. However, if you only upload your valid Non OA Visa´s extension of stay and Re-Entry permit, they might tell you at this very fist step if you are eligible to apply for a CoE at all... If yes, you can leave TH, go back to Canada and complete the required steps on that same website (using the 6 digit code) to get the CoE (upload health insurance, ASQ and flight details).

That´s just an idea and i dont know if it will work out that way, but it might be a way to check prior you leave Thailand and then you can decide what to do...

Hope that helped...

John

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Piscis said:

In my case, i still had a permission to stay and a ME Re-Entry permit in my passport stamped. This was based on my previous issued Non O for reason of retirement. The RTE/RTC in Germany did not have any problems in giving me a new Visa (Non O A in this case), even there was still a valid permission of stay in the passport... So basically, at this time i have a valid Non O A (1 year) and a permission to stay incl. ME Re-Entry permit in my passport. Given the fact that a CoE was only issued because of the new Non O A, the Non O is at this time worthless.

If you want to find out if your current permission to stay would be accepted at the RTE in Canada to get a CoE, you may want to try this: 

- Choose the RTE/RTC you are planning to get the CoE or Visa from once back in Canada.

You will be given the information from the relevant RTE/RTC that you have choosen if the information you uploaded makes you eligible for a CoE.

The CoE will be issued online. The only problem i see here is that you will get the CoE only if you forward ALL required documents, such us ASQ booking, health insurance and flight details. However, if you only upload your valid Non OA Visa´s extension of stay and Re-Entry permit, they might tell you at this very fist step if you are eligible to apply for a CoE at all... If yes, you can leave TH, go back to Canada and complete the required steps on that same website (using the 6 digit code) to get the CoE (upload health insurance, ASQ and flight details).

That´s just an idea and i dont know if it will work out that way, but it might be a way to check prior you leave Thailand and then you can decide what to do...

Hope that helped...

John

@TerraplaneGuy > John posted in response to your query, but since you are not the OP of this thread, I draw your attention to his worthwhile response.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Piscis said:

Hope that helped...

John

John yes that definitely helped.  Thank you!