Help with getting back home

Hi, I’m currently in England with family but need to go back home to my wife and child in Bangkok. I’m 78 years old and struggling to understand what needs to be done.  I have my Thai Visa already. 

Firstly, can I just book any flight back to Bangkok or do I need a repatriation flight? I’m a British citizen but married to my Thai wife with a Thai daughter. I know how to apply for my coe and will be uploading my visa, my wife’s passport, marriage certificate and my daughter’s birth certificate. However, I’m unsure how to get medical insurance. I can find insurance but I don’t know if it has COVID-19 cover and it isn’t written in USD. Does anyone have any recommendations on what company to use? 

Once I’ve completed my coe and it’s approved, I’m aware that you have 15 days to input ticket and ASQ details but do I have to travel within those 15 days or is it just to upload the details? Does the coe expire?

Thank you and sorry for all the questions.

Info is here on the London embassy website about flights and COE.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/application-for-certificate-of-entry-to-thailand-for-non-thai-nationa?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Info for being married to a Thai is here.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/119247-requirements-for-certificate-of-entry-during-travel-restriction?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562#4

Covid 19 insurance can purchased here. https://covid19.tgia.org/

You will need insurance coverage for the length of stay you will be getting on entry to the country.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/application-for-certificate-of-entry-to-thailand-for-non-thai-nationa?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/119247-requirements-for-certificate-of-entry-during-travel-restriction?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562#4

You will need insurance coverage for the length of stay you will be getting on entry to the country.

43,200 baht for one year.

I am not familiar with insurance prices in Thailand.

Is that a good price for the 3,200,000 coverage?

5 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Will you be travelling with a Non O visa (90-day initia permission tol stay on entry) or a Non O-A (long stay) visa? If a Non O, I believe 90 day coverage should be sufficient. While I cannot say for sure, 43,200 baht for 12 month coverage seems fine.

17 hours ago, Albertf said:

Hi, I’m currently in England with family but need to go back home to my wife and child in Bangkok. I’m 78 years old and struggling to understand what needs to be done.  I have my Thai Visa already. 

Firstly, can I just book any flight back to Bangkok or do I need a repatriation flight? I’m a British citizen but married to my Thai wife with a Thai daughter. I know how to apply for my coe and will be uploading my visa, my wife’s passport, marriage certificate and my daughter’s birth certificate. However, I’m unsure how to get medical insurance. I can find insurance but I don’t know if it has COVID-19 cover and it isn’t written in USD. Does anyone have any recommendations on what company to use? 

Once I’ve completed my coe and it’s approved, I’m aware that you have 15 days to input ticket and ASQ details but do I have to travel within those 15 days or is it just to upload the details? Does the coe expire?

Thank you and sorry for all the questions.

With you being over 75, I understand some IOs will let you away with getting that $100.000 covid insurance scam as no insurance will take you due to your age. Good luck.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

With you being over 75, I understand some IOs will let you away with getting that $100.000 covid insurance scam as no insurance will take you due to your age. Good luck.

He is married to a Thai and he has not mentioned that he has OA visa that requires insurance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

He is married to a Thai and he has not mentioned that he has OA visa that requires insurance.

Maybe I have missed something Joe, I do not know anything about OA visas as I don't ever see me using one.

I am only talking about the compulsary $100.000 covid insurance, maybe I missread what you said recently.

Does being over 75 not mean he won't be able to get the covid insurance?

14 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

For the Thai insurer TIP offering that https://covid19.tgia.org/ insurance it is a very good price ????

Consider the following to make up your mind about this:

1 - That covid-19 ONLY insurance does not have an age consideration, whether you are 25, 38, 72 or 95 doesn't matter for the premium you pay (from an insurance perspective this is absolute madness so this has to be compensated somewhere else... read on)

2 - The factors that determine the policy fee are your nationality (not where you are currently residing) and the period of insurance.  A young US citizen pays 3 times more than an elderly Australian citizen for same period of coverage.  Considering that your nationality doesn't matter anymore once you are longer than 14 days in Thailand, as the risk would be same, that's once again madness from an insurance perspective.

3 - There are travel-insurance companies that offer total packages with much higher accident/illness coverage INCLUDING covid-19, that sell at a LOWER premium than these ridiculous TGIA covid-19 only Thai insurance policies.  Obviously, as these travel-insurance packages are genuine policies and not money-grabbing schemes like the TGIA ones, the premium is age-dependent and some are not available if you are over 70 or 75 years of age.

>> These TGIA covid-19 only Thai policies are therefore only to be considered when

a) Your regular insurance does not cover covid-19, and

b) Your age does not enable you to subscribe to a covid-19 inclusive travel-insurance or other health-insurance policy.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2020 at 10:41 AM, ubonjoe said:

If returning with a 90 day visa on basis of Thai wife then would my Covid insurance only need to cover the 90 days ? I would then be applying for one year based on married to Thai when in Thailand so I’m guessing Covid insurance won’t be needed by that time or would it ? 

7 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

If returning with a 90 day visa on basis of Thai wife then would my Covid insurance only need to cover the 90 days ? I would then be applying for one year based on married to Thai when in Thailand so I’m guessing Covid insurance won’t be needed by that time or would it ? 

The websites of the Thai Embassies state that the 100.000 US $ coverage of medical treatment in Thailand (including covid-19 treatment) needs to be taken for the period of intended stay.

But it is of course ridiculous to insist on covid-19 treatment insurance after the first 14 days in a covid-free country like Thailand, so this seems once again a move from the Thai insurance lobby to sell their overpriced covid-19 policies.

But to answer your question > Yes, a covid-19 insurance for a period that is aligned with your 90-days Visa will be accepted when applying for the CeO and entering Thailand.  And no need to prolonge such useless insurance after that period.

Note: For those entering on a 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa > they could enquire at the Thai Embassy where they apply for the CeO whether a 60-day period would be accepted, with an outward bound flight ticket before end of that period.  If so, a cheap 'throw-away' flight-ticket would avoid having to buy the useless 1-year period covid-19 insurance.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

It needs to co0ver the period of the stay you will be granted on arrival which will be 90 days.

It is not required when you apply for an in-country extension of stay.

• Like 2