Koh Samui: Eight foreigners ripped off by Thai woman over visas/work permit go to the police

webfact

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I show respect to the office because I was brought up to be polite to people.

I have had a number of dealings with the police in various parts of Thailand and they have always been respectful to me and helpful with what ever issues I have had.

Not all policemen are bad.

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I show respect to the office because I was brought up to be polite to people.

I have had a number of dealings with the police in various parts of Thailand and they have always been respectful to me and helpful with what ever issues I have had.

Not all policemen are bad.

Same for me, except for a few, and both females, apparently on a funny week, oh, apart for one rip off for a change of address that I had done everything correct but the one dealing with it decided to earn a bit of pocket money anyway, the majority have been very helpful.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2020 at 10:32 AM, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

It is now totally clear that they do no longer require any dress code in niether police stations nor immigration offices.

As I look at the picture, it makes me think that the man might come directly from his ballet class.

Let me guess with such comment regarding another guy's choice of clothing...you're in that ballet class too.

5555?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Vest #1 - furthest left - Is that not a woman ????

Vest #2 - red lycra pants and red vest ( lovely chap just come from gym )

Vest #3 - above IO's head  - thought it was woman, looks like it could well be a fella with moobs and a necklace ????

Regardless...  If we’re going full on ‘Clothing Nazi’ the women should have their shoulders covered !!... So female or male the the point is some posters believe they should be better dressed to respect the ‘respectability’ of the Police Institution - which itself is highly laughable. 

When doing the indoor tests at a DLT a couple of years ago I was asked to leave and put some trousers on by the lady leading the examinations. I replied that I’m happy to (I had some in the car). I then asked about the Thai’s who were also wearing shorts !!!! - they lady told me not to worry about it, it didn’t really matter and that I was ok in knee length shorts (and a polo shirt) !!! - I nipped out and put on the trousers and returned with a smile !!! - she (the lady leading the tests) wouldn’t look me in the eye after that !!! 

The point I make above is that some make a big deal out of it when its really not a big deal - some people are sanctimonious and sometimes its definitely impolite to wear shorts and a vest. 

In a police station is just not a big deal.

I was gonna mention the young lady ( without mask ) with her junk out and the other one ( larger variety ) not having covered shoulders but couldn't be bothered.

I've found wearing long pants and t-shirt goes down a lot better everywhere for Thai's treating you with more respect, as you've said it's just one less thing they can nitpick about.

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Hypothetical situation coming up:

You are on the beach in Koh Samui - Wearing shorts, someone robs your wallet - Do you put on your vest and go report the theft at the police station, or do you go home to put on trousers and a collared shirt so you look presentable and are dressing appropriately at a police station before going to report the theft ???????

Are you ’Trailer Trash’ if you chose not to go home and change ?

Another hypothetical situation:

You have been cheated by a scammer. You’ve reported it to the Police officially. 

You are at your business, a Gym. You are wearing Gym clothes. The Police phone you and ask you to pop into the station. Do you go home and put on trousers and shirt so you look presentable and are dressing appropriately at a police station, or do you just go there ?

Are you ’Trailer Trash’ if you chose not to go home and change ?

So many people commenting that they think a police station is some bastion of ’social dress standards’ - its where people report crimes, where drunks are locked up etc...  the idea of a ‘dress code’ is hilarious !!! 

Dressing smartly won’t hurt and yes, it's more respectable to make an effort. But most people simply don’t have time for that when something happens !....  

I can see half of the commentators on this forum getting themselves into a right twist if they were to find themselves in difficulty without the correct ‘attire’ befitting of a ‘government office’ when they need to report their crime at a station etc.

Your theory is flawed, only the chap in the spiffing red attire has come from his place of work ( apparently ) the others probably knew where they were going but chose to dress how they were.....some clueless.

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Why bother to show those retrograde officials the respect of dressing up? What have they ever done to deserve that respect? 

Why bother to act in the same way if you think they are making a bad work? Does 2 wrongs make 1 right in your book?

As a person you should have as much self respect that you do not lower yourself to their ugly level.

Edited by Dagfinnur Traustason
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Some high class looking foreigners there. Perhaps the issue is lack of common sense and brain power.  SUCKERS!

Post a picture of yourself....  you know, to give us other forum readers an idea of what a genuine classy foreigner with common sense and brain power looks like !!!!! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, losername said:

I think that is a bit unfair.  Personally I gave up the suit, shirt and tie when I retired but I do subscribe to a decent minimum level of respectful dress when visiting certain offices in Thailand especially when asking for assistance.  The guy in red even looks as though he is sweating!!

[The guy in red even looks as though he is sweating!!] - You mean as if he has come straight from a Gym, instead of going home to change ???? :whistling:

Edited by richard_smith237

15 hours ago, soalbundy said:

It pays dividends to dress well when going anywhere official. I wear a raw silk jacket, black trousers, black leather shoes and a tie when going to the bank, council office, or the IO.

Silk Jacket !!! - hilarious, just how native can one go !!! 

A Tie ????? - even funnier... You wear a tie just to go to the bank !!! 

I see other falang dressed in shorts and t-shirts, usually unshaven, looking at me with amused

astonishment

Sorry to break it to you. Its not amused astonishment, they are just not trying to p!$$ their pants laughing at you !!!

but Then they are still looking when, having arrived after them, I have finished my business and am out the door while they, having been attended to before me, are still awaiting a decision.

You ‘queue jump’ because you are better dressed !!! - even more funny.

This is not just BS - its gold standard BS - brilliant !!!! 

The standard of dress amongst falang is usually so poor that those who dress well and show respect are remembered positively by officials and should some small problem arise they bend over backwards to help, they have long memories regarding etiquette, they don't forget.

Not being dressed like a slob can help things work in your favour sometimes on what may be borderline decisions - to suggest it has the significant, policy changing, queue jumping impact you have is outrageously imaginative...  full on cloud-cuckoo-land make believe level of fairy tale.... 

Edited by richard_smith237

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Silk Jacket !!! - hilarious, just how native can one go !!! 

A Tie ????? - even funnier... You wear a tie just to go to the bank !!! 

Sorry to break it to you. Its not amused astonishment, they are just not trying to p!$$ their pants laughing at you !!!

You ‘queue jump’ because you are better dressed !!! - even more funny.

This is not just BS - its gold standard BS - brilliant !!!! 

Not being dressed like a slob can help things work in your favour sometimes on what may be borderline decisions - to suggest it has the significant, policy changing, queue jumping impact you have is outrageously imaginative...  full on cloud-cuckoo-land make believe level of fairy tale.... 

That's your opinion, apart from the fact that I like dressing well (the older you get the more important it is) I have found that it works well in Thailand in almost any situation, one gets shown a certain deference that a slovenly dressed person doesn't. No I don't queue jump by being well dressed and by showing respect but decision times are cut shorter than if you come in flip flops and a tee shirt. Such things are noticed, about three years ago I got my first (and only) under consideration stamp at the IO, when I asked the boss who was coincidentally in the office what that was for he replied "not to worry you have a good reputation with us". You do it your way, I'll do it my way. Dressing well is a sign of self respect, if you walk about slovenly dressed, wearing a vest showing a beer gut and unshaven (seen that often enough in Tescos) it shows a lack of self esteem and a lack of respect towards others. 

• Thanks 1

You can wear a T-shirt and shorts and still look smart as long as it's clean and ironed I always look at the shoes to me thats a dead give away wearing flip flops, I've never owned a pair, If Im going somewhere official then I make the effort, clean shaven, shirt or T-shirt ironed, shorts and a good pair of shoes usually Rockport and polish my shoes, so they look clean, I wonder how many people do that these days "Polish your shoes"?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

You can wear a T-shirt and shorts and still look smart as long as it's clean and ironed I always look at the shoes to me thats a dead give away wearing flip flops, I've never owned a pair, If Im going somewhere official then I make the effort, clean shaven, shirt or T-shirt ironed, shorts and a good pair of shoes usually Rockport and polish my shoes, so they look clean, I wonder how many people do that these days "Polish your shoes"?

That is true enough for young people, they can get away with any form of dress style if its clean and respectful (not tee shirts and shorts at the IO and not bikinis at a temple). It is more problematic for older people, once the stomach and the varicose veins start showing there is a certain lack of dignity.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

That is true enough for young people, they can get away with any form of dress style if its clean and respectful (not tee shirts and shorts at the IO and not bikinis at a temple). It is more problematic for older people, once the stomach and the varicose veins start showing there is a certain lack of dignity.

When I say T-shirts I should have said a Polo Shirt most of the shorts I have are cargo shorts I didn't mean sports shorts

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Could be rather contentious.....but I don't think being covered in tattoos and 'gold' chains really enhances ones image.....boom.

• Like 2

Just now, Surelynot said:

Could be rather contentious.....but I don't think being covered in tattoos and 'gold' chains really enhances ones image.....boom.

That's another chapter. People will do what they want to do. We aren't in Europe but that hasn't filtered down to many although actually many people dress in a manner that wouldn't be acceptable at home either, they just let themselves go.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

That's another chapter. People will do what they want to do. We aren't in Europe but that hasn't filtered down to many although actually many people dress in a manner that wouldn't be acceptable at home either, they just let themselves go.

Yes....I guess you see it the world over....not my country, so I'll do whatever....total lack of respect....which I have always said..... respect should be automatic and only lost...the idea respect has to be earned is totally false.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

Why bother to act in the same way if you think they are making a bad work? Does 2 wrongs make 1 right in your book?

As a person you should have as much self respect that you do not lower yourself to their ugly level.

I have alot of self respect. But, that does not require that I dress up for the fools, when I visit them. I behave with a modest amount of respect, towards them. No deterrence at all. Just business. And with the police, if they are asking for something that is unreasonable, I push back with a great deal of energy. It usually works. Never been locked up yet! LOL.

9 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Yes....I guess you see it the world over....not my country, so I'll do whatever....total lack of respect....which I have always said..... respect should be automatic and only lost...the idea respect has to be earned is totally false.

I remember years ago when I did a few visa runs to Ranong and you see the state of most of the farangs piling off the minivans like they had been smoking dope all night not had a wash for a week, you could see the faces on the IO officers not happy.

I tried that minivan trip once never again it stunk, drive there alone better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

I remember years ago when I did a few visa runs to Ranong and you see the state of most of the farangs piling off the minivans like they had been smoking dope all night not had a wash for a week, you could see the faces on the IO officers not happy.

I tried that minivan trip once never again it stunk, drive there alone better.

Been on a couple of trips...not visa runs....in these minivans....OMG...never been so scared in my life....speeding, tail-gating, on their phones....criminal.

• Like 1

The infamous Joy is long gone, she’s history ! You simply do not allow anyone to get away with it without having a response from the person who took your money not even a day ! Let alone a Thai person ????????‍♂️
They always get away with it whether they’re in the wrong or in the wrong as they often are ???? Having the support by the local police, the locals and the like, you simply can’t trust any of them ????????‍♂️
As for the unnecessary  noise going on about how the victimes of this fraud were dressed is complete nonsense, I can’t wait to hear from one of you being ripped off from these local crooks ????