U.S. criticised for police brutality, racism at U.N. rights review

webfact

9 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

In a startling moment during his Michigan rally Tuesday, President Donald Trump implied that the militia that attempted to kidnap and kill Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI) was maybe or maybe not all that big of a problem.

“People are entitled to say maybe it was a problem, maybe it wasn’t,” Trump told his rally.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/10/trump-says-militia-that-sought-to-kidnap-and-michigans-gov-whitmer-was-maybe-a-problem-maybe-it-wasnt/

Trump responded, "Proud Boys – stand back and stand by. But I'll tell you what, somebody's got to do something about antifa and the left."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/09/29/trump-debate-white-supremacists-stand-back-stand-by/3583339001/

At 2020's first (and perhaps only) presidential debate, President Trump's plea to his "people" to "go into the polls and watch very carefully" got the attention of voting advocates and militia members alike. 

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trumps-call-militia-watch-polling-places-raises-fears-voter-intimidation-1539900

You have a very poor understanding of english if you think any of that language could be considered "encouraging of right-wing extremists". 

Where you mention Proud Boys, Trump also said when asked: "Are you willing tonight to condemn white supremacist and Militia groups and to say they need to stand down and not add to the violence?" Trump replied "Sure I'm willing to do that, almost everything I see is from the left wing, not from the right wing. I'm willing to do anything, I want to see peace". 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Joshua Cooper of the US Human Rights Network, a national network of campaigners, said that more than a dozen countries voiced concern at the U.S. position on family planning.

They can't all be wrong.

Edited by Traubert
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, curlylekan said:

Something is not quite right when China and Russia are the ones being vocal here. Hey, China, what about your issue with anyone who is a minority - Uyghur's, Tibetans, HKers, Taiwanese, Mongolians, gay, transgender, religious, etc. You have very little room to walk on, so I can understand when you want to take the heat off yourself. The same idea with Russia. Both countries: criticize us and we will make you disappear, but hey, as long as the attention is pointed on democratic countries whom actually try to improve human rights through transparency, then we are happy and we will continue to lock up the majority of people who don't kowtow to authoritarian governments.

The UN is laughable now and functions like a preschool. I used to believe in the UN, but now, the UNs only power is helping authoritarian governments to push their agenda through. Such a weak organization.

I agree with the hypocrisy argument, though other countries failings don't let them off the hook..

• Like 2

Just now, from the home of CC said:

I agree with the hypocrisy argument, though other countries failings don't let them off the hook..

Definitely not off the hook, and I think any criticism from democratic, transparent governments is fair, but it is not just about hypocrisy, it is about the disproportionate numbers of human rights violations in the USA vs. those occuring in democratic countries v. the many millions of human rights violations in China and Russia. The disproportionate numbers are the main problem, not the hypocrisy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

One problem with many Americans is that they love to criticize almost anybody in the world about human rights, democracy, racism, and many more issues. And at the same time the USA has lots of internal problems.

Many people in this world think the USA should first sort out their own problems. If, and only if they are an example i.e. for human rights or democracy then they have a moral right to criticize others. But looking at the condition of the USA it will be a long time before they will earn that right - if ever.

But you have apparently been able to earn that right yourself, so we salute the exemplariness of your life.  Good for you.  We feel honored to have you among us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, curlylekan said:

Definitely not off the hook, and I think any criticism from democratic, transparent governments is fair, but it is not just about hypocrisy, it is about the disproportionate numbers of human rights violations in the USA vs. those occuring in democratic countries v. the many millions of human rights violations in China and Russia. The disproportionate numbers are the main problem, not the hypocrisy.

the disproportionate number fails to help the Americans who feel this is justifiable criticism - namely the victims of these violations on the streets of the US...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, curlylekan said:

Which is no excuse.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2020 at 8:09 AM, khwaibah said:

He is not President Elect until courts such as SCOTUS rule on this and on December 14 for the Electoral College to meet for the Fat Lady to Sing for 270 votes.

Maybe he is not President Elect before the Fat Lady sings, BUT he is a million times more human than the present idiot who plays dictator/president.
BTW, who is that famous american Fat Lady?!?

• Confused 1

Even while I am perfectly aware of the  fact that  many many  countries have human rights problems even as members of the  UN when the US has  for decades promoted itself as a bastion of everything  that is  great in supreme status  and example of   "democracy" while at the same time using  the  presumption  of that status as  universally accepted  to invade and declare war  by contrived  methodology or dishonesty whilst inflicting , enabling, or ignoring suppression of the rights of it's  own citizens I say  Fair Call !

Right by Might is a contradiction and  to  dictate it  is?.... Fascist.

• Like 1