Covid19 insurance for entry in to Thailand

mikemi

8 hours ago, nong38 said:

Any Brits need to understand this so heads up.

To take out any UK insurance you must have resided in the UK for the previous 6 months, take note of that 6 months in the UK.

Age is one factor residency is another, if you travel back and think you can then buy the insurance and get back into Thailand it might not work for you and if you make a claim as you know these companies will find any loophole they can not to pay out, you may think you have cover but you probably will not.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news so dont shoot the messenger!!

I used to know the man who ran the Insurance for John Lewis about travel Insurance/insurance for Thailand, he contacted several of the companies he dealt with on my behalf so I have to go with what he told me, whether you know differently for sure or wish to be lucky is up to you.

Im a retired UK resident with UK home ownership, UK GP, On electoral roll, but I have spent the last 14 winters in Thailand (and Id be there now for the 15th if only...). When I come to Thailand I usually rent out my UK home on a 6 months tenancy. So would those shifty slimy UK insurance companies pay out if I needed to claim on the travel insurance I have always taken out. The only claim I ever made was actually from Pacific Cross and after much correspondence and form filling they did pay out the 4000thb! As an aside, PC were dishonest with their travel insurance in that they advertised to cover 'Illness and emergency' medical treatment but when claiming they only accept claims for emergency treatment. They do not cover treatment for illness unless in an emergency.

On 11/10/2020 at 10:22 AM, mikemi said:

Who are people using? easy to apply?

I applied with Pacific Cross, after about a week I get their proposal, it says it has a 15 day waiting period for covid, so you arent insured for the first 15 days of arriving in Thailand.

Now, they said this is not stated on the certificate, so it will be approved for COE (certificate of entry), but surely this isnt a wise choice? If you did catch covid in quarantine or on the plane, you wont be covered.

Do they all have this kind of exclusion?

I thought that covid19 insurance was required for the duration of the stay?

Any help would be appreciated.

Can I refer you to my thread where I received some great advice and invaluable info. on where to obtain insurance:

Good luck!

14 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

If you only need the COVID cover, not the 400/40 in/out for the OA or STV visas then bay far the best deal is the 'free' insurance bundled with Revolut premium. 6.99 GBP per month !! 

10 million GBP cover (similar in other currencies)
Explicit COVID guarantee including physician mandated quarantine.
18 - 75 Age
Starts Day 1
Annual policy with 90 days per trip (fine for non imm and even given on my annual extension) 

Works fine for COE and thats just a part of the perks (cheap Fx, multi currency banking, discounted / free lounge access, discounted device insurances, etc etc). 

All this for 320b a month. Available in 150 countries. 

Sounds great. Thanks. I read a bit but how do u apply for the insurance cover and get the insurance documents to show? Do u have to phone/email White Horse or what?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, daviddunham said:

- Pacific Cross was the cheapest for me and they handed me the full certificate after 3 days (I did local bank transfer, maybe that helped)

- The whole immigration-process for farangs during the pandemic is designed to fish money (most of use have insurance from home country already, but need another thai one, funny)

If you were already insured with PacificCross and it was only a covid-19 or coverage update, that might be the case. 

But there are far cheaper options to meet the covid-19 insurance requirement.

16 hours ago, MAF666 said:

I have just been granted a CoE for travel from Sydney to ASQ in Bangkok flying on Monday 16.

non O single entry spouse visa.

Thai embassy www site has options for thb14500 12 months COVID insurance , age not required.

The process went smoothly with this option.

Was the Thai policy the only policy you used?

Someone posted on this forum that the Thai covid insurance did not meet the COE requirements on it's own, they claimed you had to have a separate health insurance policy.

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Was the Thai policy the only policy you used?

Someone posted on this forum that the Thai covid insurance did not meet the COE requirements on it's own, they claimed you had to have a separate health insurance policy.

That someone was me.

I simply stated the text from the CoE requirements as posted on the Thai Embassy/Consulate websites.  It reads > Health Insurance Policy with the coverage of medical treatment in Thailand, including COVID-19 treatment, in the minimum amount of 100,000 USD or equivalent

Imo this cannot be misunderstood and a covid-19 only policy as offered by TGIA is therefore to be regarded as an 'extra' you need when your regular +100.000 US $ insurance for medical treatmnt in Thailand does not cover covid-19.

HOWEVER, there have been reports of applications being accepted by the Thai Embassy with only that covid-19 specific insurance.

So it seems that some Thai Embassies/Consulates do not enforce their own published requirements re that covid-19 insurance being included or supplemental to an insurance policy with coverage of 100.000 US $ medical treatment in Thailand.

@MAF666 > Was your application accepted with that TGIA covid-19 insurance only? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Because Thailand will allow you to travel there does not override the separate UK rulings pertaining to travel FROM UK. And here’s your other problem- you cannot say you are ‘going home' to Thailand because as per conditions of your uk travel insurance,home must be in UK - you can’t have it both ways - see ? You are going to visit family in Thailand (usually classified as a holiday) even if it is your wife, so not essential travel as per examples given - I did ask exactly that question of the insurers claims department. 
I think you are influenced by confirmation bias , not a criticism, because you are looking for reasons that accord with what you want ,which I understand. I’m looking at it from the perspective of experience and understanding of the nature of insurers- they will seek to get out of a claim where they can and that includes grey areas. They will take your premium,refuse to pay and then the onus is on you to win a case against them and YOU have to prove them wrong. They know you’re on the back foot and there’s little you can do from Thailand. Yes it’s disgusting I agree but when you’re in the hospital and they say no ,you will have no option but to pay ,it’s not the hospital’s problem. 

Thank you for your insight. What you are saying makes sense. However I still cant get my head around the fact that the terms of the insurance says that it is invalid if FCO (not England advice) advice against travel to your destination changes. As the FCO advice has not changed and visits to Thailand (all but a few areas) are not banned, how can they say that insurance is invalid. You may well be 100% correct but I cant work out why they are saying its because of FCO advice when it clearly isnt. Thanks again

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimn said:

Thank you for your insight. What you are saying makes sense. However I still cant get my head around the fact that the terms of the insurance says that it is invalid if FCO (not England advice) advice against travel to your destination changes. As the FCO advice has not changed and visits to Thailand (all but a few areas) are not banned, how can they say that insurance is invalid. You may well be 100% correct but I cant work out why they are saying its because of FCO advice when it clearly isnt. Thanks again

This is an extract from email sent to me today by Emirates insurers ,Allianz ,

"If the UK gov. is advising you not to travel but you somehow did so, this will be under your exclusions and will not be covered unless you provide us with a proof that you were allowed to travel abroad."

Conversely on Etihad website  (who also include free Covid cover) its insurance conditions specifically say cover IS included even if traveling against government advice !!   But I would not feel confident that there would not be some glitch when the crunch came - we are the ones to pick up the pieces ...from a hospital ward ! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

This is an extract from email sent to me today by Emirates insurers ,Allianz ,

"If the UK gov. is advising you not to travel but you somehow did so, this will be under your exclusions and will not be covered unless you provide us with a proof that you were allowed to travel abroad."

Conversely on Etihad website  (who also include free Covid cover) its insurance conditions specifically say cover IS included even if traveling against government advice !!   But I would not feel confident that there would not be some glitch when the crunch came - we are the ones to pick up the pieces ...from a hospital ward ! 

Ok thanks

7 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

That someone was me.

I simply stated the text from the CoE requirements as posted on the Thai Embassy/Consulate websites.  It reads > Health Insurance Policy with the coverage of medical treatment in Thailand, including COVID-19 treatment, in the minimum amount of 100,000 USD or equivalent

Imo this cannot be misunderstood and a covid-19 only policy as offered by TGIA is therefore to be regarded as an 'extra' you need when your regular +100.000 US $ insurance for medical treatmnt in Thailand does not cover covid-19.

HOWEVER, there have been reports of applications being accepted by the Thai Embassy with only that covid-19 specific insurance.

So it seems that some Thai Embassies/Consulates do not enforce their own published requirements re that covid-19 insurance being included or supplemental to an insurance policy with coverage of 100.000 US $ medical treatment in Thailand.

I am well aware it was you.

I will ask the same question as I did at the time, has anyone been refused a COE with just the Thai covid insurance?

If not, you really ought to refrain from posting misleading information.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, nong38 said:

With vaccines currently just round the corner, lets say early in the new year I wonder how that will affect the current entry and insurance situation.

We can only sit with baited breath on that one.

it should be borne in mind the vaccine takes 6 weeks to become effective so I doubt there will be anything said on that before Easter.

How long were you planning, I normally go for a month so that would mean having the vaccine before I left, and that obviously opens another set of questions.

A month or two for me normally as well and as you say until they actually have it ready to administer its one for the future. but here is one for now.

I have a retirement visa and normally I would get a re entry permit and that was all that was required under covid-19 era things have changed somewhat and looking at the Thai Embassy website I can see no reference to the Retirement Visa re entry requirements which makes me wonder if I left whether I would be able to return at all if the circumstances remain as they are and then there is the age issue if insurance is required being over 70.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

I am well aware it was you.

I will ask the same question as I did at the time, has anyone been refused a COE with just the Thai covid insurance?

If not, you really ought to refrain from posting misleading information.

Thanks for warning theTV-Forum members to avoid the misleading information I am posting. 

2 hours ago, nong38 said:

A month or two for me normally as well and as you say until they actually have it ready to administer its one for the future. but here is one for now.

I have a retirement visa and normally I would get a re entry permit and that was all that was required under covid-19 era things have changed somewhat and looking at the Thai Embassy website I can see no reference to the Retirement Visa re entry requirements which makes me wonder if I left whether I would be able to return at all if the circumstances remain as they are and then there is the age issue if insurance is required being over 70.

Unless you were married to a Thai or had children or a work permit,but simply single/just had a live in partner you would not be allowed back in 

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Unless you were married to a Thai or had children or a work permit,but simply single/just had a live in partner you would not be allowed back in 

That is what I thought thank you.

17 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

That someone was me.

Yes.

The only insurance that I have is the one selected from the Thai Embassy site in Canberra.

It was processed and accepted with the COE application in minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1