Covid19 insurance for entry in to Thailand

mikemi

I am currently in Thailand on a Retirement Visa. If I leave the country at some point in the future when air travel is possible what is the position re entering Thailand? 

I will have a re entry permit but will I also have to get this Covid Insurance as well or am I exempt from it? If I have to get  the insurance how long for, enough to get me into the country say 4 weeks or for the whole year or is that my choice?

I suspect there are a lot people in my position where age is the factor where insurance is difficult to get which starts at about 70 so anyone over 70 is going to have a problem leaving and returning and although I did read somewhere that the proposed group of Thai insurers are going to make this affordable what is affordable? Its a relative figure. Sign up before you are 76 and they guarantee you insure you until you are 99 sounds very good but previous offers I have seen do offer until 85 the way the premiums go up make it very unaffordable as time goes by and the better option would be to self insure and if not required you can leave to people who need it to live.

Any clarity would be appreciated.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, mikemi said:

Who are people using? easy to apply?

I applied with Pacific Cross, after about a week I get their proposal, it says it has a 15 day waiting period for covid, so you arent insured for the first 15 days of arriving in Thailand.

Now, they said this is not stated on the certificate, so it will be approved for COE (certificate of entry), but surely this isnt a wise choice? If you did catch covid in quarantine or on the plane, you wont be covered.

Do they all have this kind of exclusion?

I thought that covid19 insurance was required for the duration of the stay?

Any help would be appreciated.

It depends what country you are from and what insurance is on offer. There is the expensive Thai insurance options but take the UK for example most companies give Covid cover of >£5,000,000 under accident and emergency. I have one such policy and I am in quarantine now

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jimn said:

It depends what country you are from and what insurance is on offer. There is the expensive Thai insurance options but take the UK for example most companies give Covid cover of >£5,000,000 under accident and emergency. I have one such policy and I am in quarantine now

From which company please ?

Price ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimn said:

Does it state on the insurance certificate that covid is covered as a separate item, I'm in the process of applying for a Coe and would be grateful of the information.????

5 hours ago, jimn said:

Be very careful with this now if from Uk (England) . Had a long conversation with underwriters of Nationwide insurance who although you’ll be able to get a cover certificate,stated that the actual insurance is invalid if you book a trip a now to travel during the lockdown till 2 December,because there is now FCO advice against ALL international travel . They even went as far as to say even if booked now to travel AFTER 2 December (post lockdown) should the government extend the lockdown you would not be covered under the 'expected/foreseeable event' exclusion! 
Also be aware that unless you are normally resident in uk (have been in country for last 6 months) you are not eligible for travel insurance. This is a pretty universal precondition. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SGD said:

From which company please ?

Price ?

As England is in lockdown some companies not quoting at the moment but there are many. To name a few. Staysure, Coverwise, multitrip.com, direct-travel many many

2 hours ago, lanng khao said:

Does it state on the insurance certificate that covid is covered as a separate item, I'm in the process of applying for a Coe and would be grateful of the information.????

Sometimes. In most cases its covered under accident and emergency. Look at the Coronavirus pages that most of them have. If it states that Covid is covered under accident and emergency you are good to go. Just copy these pages into the COE, there is plenty of room in the section that allows up to 10 docs to be uploaded.i did it when I applied and was granted mine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nong38 said:

I am currently in Thailand on a Retirement Visa. If I leave the country at some point in the future when air travel is possible what is the position re entering Thailand? 

I will have a re entry permit but will I also have to get this Covid Insurance as well or am I exempt from it? If I have to get  the insurance how long for, enough to get me into the country say 4 weeks or for the whole year or is that my choice?

I suspect there are a lot people in my position where age is the factor where insurance is difficult to get which starts at about 70 so anyone over 70 is going to have a problem leaving and returning and although I did read somewhere that the proposed group of Thai insurers are going to make this affordable what is affordable? Its a relative figure. Sign up before you are 76 and they guarantee you insure you until you are 99 sounds very good but previous offers I have seen do offer until 85 the way the premiums go up make it very unaffordable as time goes by and the better option would be to self insure and if not required you can leave to people who need it to live.

Any clarity would be appreciated.

Emirates have been offering covid insurance with tickets for some time. It was initially up to the end of Oct but I see it has been extended to the end of Dec.

It has its limitations and may not meet the Thai requirements.

I am in the same boat and as you say at 73 options are limited. Had 2 trips cancelled this year and looking to go at the earliest reasonable opportunity, but reality is probably not this side of Easter.

32 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Be very careful with this now if from Uk (England) . Had a long conversation with underwriters of Nationwide insurance who although you’ll be able to get a cover certificate,stated that the actual insurance is invalid if you book a trip a now to travel during the lockdown till 2 December,because there is now FCO advice against ALL international travel . They even went as far as to say even if booked now to travel AFTER 2 December (post lockdown) should the government extend the lockdown you would not be covered under the 'expected/foreseeable event' exclusion! 
Also be aware that unless you are normally resident in uk (have been in country for last 6 months) you are not eligible for travel insurance. This is a pretty universal precondition. 

In actual fact that statement is incorrect because the FCO advice is unchanged, check it out. Only travel to certain parts of Thailand is not advised, that has not changed. What has changed are the rules for England not the UK so the FCO advice cannot change. Some insurers are actually going against their stated T&Cs because they are based on FCO advice not England rules. This could face a legal challenge in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Emirates have been offering covid insurance with tickets for some time. It was initially up to the end of Oct but I see it has been extended to the end of Dec.

I am in the same boat and as you say at 73 options are limited. Had 2 trips cancelled this year and looking to go at the earliest reasonable opportunity, but reality is probably not this side of Easter.

Emirates insurance does not qualify for getting a COE.

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

If you only need the COVID cover, not the 400/40 in/out for the OA or STV visas then bay far the best deal is the 'free' insurance bundled with Revolut premium. 6.99 GBP per month !! 

10 million GBP cover (similar in other currencies)
Explicit COVID guarantee including physician mandated quarantine.
18 - 75 Age
Starts Day 1
Annual policy with 90 days per trip (fine for non imm and even given on my annual extension) 

Works fine for COE and thats just a part of the perks (cheap Fx, multi currency banking, discounted / free lounge access, discounted device insurances, etc etc). 

All this for 320b a month. Available in 150 countries.

WOW!  So for those wanting to return to Thailand and applying for the new 60-day Tourist-Visa or a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for family reasons, subscribing to REVOLUT Premium for 7 GBP a month (320 THB), would provide them as a 'free perk' an insurance coverage that meets the CoE requirements of covid-19 insurance?

> https://www.revolut.com/legal/premium-and-metal#travel-insurance-as-part-of-your-subscription

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

WOW!  So for those wanting to return to Thailand and applying for the new 60-day Tourist-Visa or a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for family reasons, subscribing to REVOLUT Premium for 7 GBP a month (320 THB), would provide them as a 'free perk' an insurance coverage that meets the CoE requirements of covid-19 insurance?

> https://www.revolut.com/legal/premium-and-metal#travel-insurance-as-part-of-your-subscription

Not available to the over 70's.

I have just been granted a CoE for travel from Sydney to ASQ in Bangkok flying on Monday 16.

non O single entry spouse visa.

Thai embassy www site has options for thb14500 12 months COVID insurance , age not required.

The process went smoothly with this option.

7 hours ago, TimBKK said:

Was talking with an agent from AA who relayed a story about a recent entrant to Thailand with Pacific Cross who tested positive for Covid within the first 15 days and was not covered.  So while it might be good enough to get a COE, be careful.

Pacific Cross do have a 15 day waiting period; however, it covers the world; thus, if you get the insurance 15 days before going to Thailand, it will cover your stay in quarantine.

Be aware that any deductions in the policy goes for the covid part as well.

Edited by farang51

11 minutes ago, MAF666 said:

I have just been granted a CoE for travel from Sydney to ASQ in Bangkok flying on Monday 16.

non O single entry spouse visa.

Thai embassy www site has options for thb14500 12 months COVID insurance , age not required.

The process went smoothly with this option.

The fee for that 1-year TGIA covid-19 only insurance is indeed age independent.  But depending on your nationality (not where you are currently residing) the fee will differ.  A 25-year old US citizen would pay 3 times as much as a 90-year old Australian.  Absolutely ridiculous from a normal insurance point of view.

Somebody must be making a fortune selling those covid-19 insurance policies...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jimn said:

In actual fact that statement is incorrect because the FCO advice is unchanged, check it out. Only travel to certain parts of Thailand is not advised, that has not changed. What has changed are the rules for England not the UK so the FCO advice cannot change. Some insurers are actually going against their stated T&Cs because they are based on FCO advice not England rules. This could face a legal challenge in my opinion.

That’s why I put England in brackets afterwards. I agree that there are contradictory messages and confusing interpretations by uk insurers but I spoke to the actual claims department of UK Insurance Ltd (Nationwide underwriters ) yesterday arguing the point and they were very clear that the guidelines they had been given were that they were treating the Government advice against international travel the same as if it were FCO  advice and WHERE you traveled was immaterial- it’s ANY international travel. On top of this ,as I stated, they have the blanket get out clause of a 'foreseeable event'.
The practical point is that while they will sell you a policy ,if you use it against guidelines (which you would currently)a claim will be refused. You won’t really be able to argue the point from a hospital isolation ward ! 
Separately I contacted Emirates (free Covid cover with each ticket) insurers ,Allianz, and they replied ,again in rather confused language, that the lockdown was material and unless you could show you had 'permission' ?  to travel .
"Please note that as UK is going for a lockdown, this means that departures also will be suspended. However, we will need a proof that you were allowed to travel from UK."

Additionaly "Regarding the certificate. Please note that this is a free cover that comes embedded with your flight ticket. We cannot issue a soft document stating the same. However, I believe you can you our Terms And Condition PDF and use it as a proof that Emirates Covid-19 Assistance team will cover you in case you get tested positive."

Yes,I know !???

In summary,you will be left VERY exposed.

26 minutes ago, nong38 said:

Any Brits need to understand this so heads up.

To take out any UK insurance you must have resided in the UK for the previous 6 months, take note of that 6 months in the UK.

Age is one factor residency is another, if you travel back and think you can then buy the insurance and get back into Thailand it might not work for you and if you make a claim as you know these companies will find any loophole they can not to pay out, you may think you have cover but you probably will not.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news so dont shoot the messenger!!

I used to know the man who ran the Insurance for John Lewis about travel Insurance/insurance for Thailand, he contacted several of the companies he dealt with on my behalf so I have to go with what he told me, whether you know differently for sure or wish to be lucky is up to you.

And they WILL check if you claim  ....by asking you to provide proof (at your expense) which will include verification of being registered with a GP in uk . They’ll also have access to the electoral role and want to see your recent passport stamps and copy of flight tickets/ bookings. You’ll get found out - they’re set up to find ways of denying your claim. 

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

That’s why I put England in brackets afterwards. I agree that there are contradictory messages and confusing interpretations by uk insurers but I spoke to the actual claims department of UK Insurance Ltd (Nationwide underwriters ) yesterday arguing the point and they were very clear that the guidelines they had been given were that they were treating the Government advice against international travel the same as if it were FCO  advice and WHERE you traveled was immaterial- it’s ANY international travel. On top of this ,as I stated, they have the blanket get out clause of a 'foreseeable event'.
The practical point is that while they will sell you a policy ,if you use it against guidelines (which you would currently)a claim will be refused. You won’t really be able to argue the point from a hospital isolation ward ! 
Separately I contacted Emirates (free Covid cover with each ticket) insurers ,Allianz, and they replied ,again in rather confused language, that the lockdown was material and unless you could show you had 'permission' ?  to travel .
"Please note that as UK is going for a lockdown, this means that departures also will be suspended. However, we will need a proof that you were allowed to travel from UK."

Additionaly "Regarding the certificate. Please note that this is a free cover that comes embedded with your flight ticket. We cannot issue a soft document stating the same. However, I believe you can you our Terms And Condition PDF and use it as a proof that Emirates Covid-19 Assistance team will cover you in case you get tested positive."

Yes,I know !???

In summary,you will be left VERY exposed.

I do agree that people are very exposed and yes they could use the unforseeable event clause. Perfonally I believe the government statement that people going home applies and if you have insurance to cover the dates you are in Thailand they should cover you. Also isnt a Visa and a COE from thr Thai government a legal reason to travel. I agree it would be very hard to win against them and their behaviour is disgraceful.

UPDATE. 

My insurance says, 

You will NOT be covered if you are travelling to a specific country or to an area where, prior to your trip commencing, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) have advised against all (or all but essential) travel.

It is your responsibility to check the latest advice from the FCO prior to commencing your trip, which you can find at https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice.

FCO advice then says

COVID-19 travel guidance

From 5 November to 2 December 2020, travelling away from home, including internationally, is restricted from England except in limited circumstances such as for work or for education. Different rules apply in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. You must follow all the rules that apply to you.

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) provides guidance on COVID and non-COVID risks overseas. The FCDO currently advises against all but essential travel to many countries and territories on the basis of COVID risks. You should check the travel advice for your destination.

So following this through, there should be no reason why I am not covered

Edited by jimn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jimn said:

I do agree that people are very exposed and yes they could use the unforseeable event clause. Perfonally I believe the government statement that people going home applies and if you have insurance to cover the dates you are in Thailand they should cover you. Also isnt a Visa and a COE from thr Thai government a legal reason to travel. I agree it would be very hard to win against them and their behaviour is disgraceful.

UPDATE. 

My insurance says, 

You will NOT be covered if you are travelling to a specific country or to an area where, prior to your trip commencing, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) have advised against all (or all but essential) travel.

It is your responsibility to check the latest advice from the FCO prior to commencing your trip, which you can find at https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice.

FCO advice then says

COVID-19 travel guidance

From 5 November to 2 December 2020, travelling away from home, including internationally, is restricted from England except in limited circumstances such as for work or for education. Different rules apply in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. You must follow all the rules that apply to you.

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) provides guidance on COVID and non-COVID risks overseas. The FCDO currently advises against all but essential travel to many countries and territories on the basis of COVID risks. You should check the travel advice for your destination.

So following this through, there should be no reason why I am not covered

Because Thailand will allow you to travel there does not override the separate UK rulings pertaining to travel FROM UK. And here’s your other problem- you cannot say you are ‘going home' to Thailand because as per conditions of your uk travel insurance,home must be in UK - you can’t have it both ways - see ? You are going to visit family in Thailand (usually classified as a holiday) even if it is your wife, so not essential travel as per examples given - I did ask exactly that question of the insurers claims department. 
I think you are influenced by confirmation bias , not a criticism, because you are looking for reasons that accord with what you want ,which I understand. I’m looking at it from the perspective of experience and understanding of the nature of insurers- they will seek to get out of a claim where they can and that includes grey areas. They will take your premium,refuse to pay and then the onus is on you to win a case against them and YOU have to prove them wrong. They know you’re on the back foot and there’s little you can do from Thailand. Yes it’s disgusting I agree but when you’re in the hospital and they say no ,you will have no option but to pay ,it’s not the hospital’s problem. 

14 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Pacific Cross is nothing but a big rip-off

- Pacific Cross was the cheapest for me and they handed me the full certificate after 3 days (I did local bank transfer, maybe that helped)

- The whole immigration-process for farangs during the pandemic is designed to fish money (most of use have insurance from home country already, but need another thai one, funny)

11 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Well of course. All international travel from England (not sure about Wales) is banned during lockdown and will continue to be if it is extended.

Edited by SunsetT

10 hours ago, sandyf said:

Etihad also offer cover but only for the 1st 15 days. So it would combine well with Pacific Cross.

9 hours ago, farang51 said:

Pacific Cross do have a 15 day waiting period; however, it covers the world; thus, if you get the insurance 15 days before going to Thailand, it will cover your stay in quarantine.

Be aware that any deductions in the policy goes for the covid part as well.

Good thinking Batman!