One killed, another injured in big bike collision

snoop1130

17 hours ago, Surelynot said:

It has never ceased to amaze me that people are prepared to risk their lives in this fashion.....even the most careful, sensible rider is at the mercy of an idiot driver....it just ain't worth it.

I really can’t disagree with this comment....  and I ride a motorbike. 

I’m extremely careful, ride and position myself very defensively; which doesn’t mean slowest on the road, but hopefully as safe as I can be. Yet, your comments that even the most sensible rider is at the mercy of an idiot driver is true. 

Fortunately in Thailand it quite easy identify the majority drivers and the manner in which they drive by the car they drive.

- Clocked lowered pickup = idiot driver (accelerate and brakes hard)

- Delivery pickup = Changes lanes quickly without warning

- Taxi = either very chilled or a nutter

- Small cars = Girl on phone 

- Sedans = generally chilled driver

- SUV = distracted school mum

- Fortuna = d!<k driving aggressively 

- Bus = totally ignores motorcycles and other vehicles

- New Lorries and trucks = generally very considerate

- Old Lorries = Brake failure and aggressive driving

OK OK - all of these are generalisation and there is no hard and fast rules, everyone around you, anyone around you at any time can be dangerous - eyes everywhere....  & ATGATT !!!! 

Riding remains enjoyable - Those riding (myself included) always try to argue against the risk we face, yet we still face risk which is elevated by far. Those who don’t ride don’t understand the risk as they’ve never ridden, but they are generally correct in pointing out that riding here is just so unsafe. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I have been riding big bikes in Thailand for many years. Yes young riders like the speed, coming from a 125 there's a big difference. But it not just the speed, there is just too many things jumping out at you when riding and you must be aware of everything. A complete lack of riding skills. That's why I suggest that all bikes have ABS brakes. I know it pushes the price of the bike up but it will save lives. And yes I have ABS brakes on my bikes.

ABS without brain? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I really can’t disagree with this comment....  and I ride a motorbike. 

I’m extremely careful, ride and position myself very defensively; which doesn’t mean slowest on the road, but hopefully as safe as I can be. Yet, your comments that even the most sensible rider is at the mercy of an idiot driver is true. 

Fortunately in Thailand it quite easy identify the majority drivers and the manner in which they drive by the car they drive.

OK OK - all of these are generalisation and there is no hard and fast rules, everyone around you, anyone around you at any time can be dangerous - eyes everywhere....  & ATGATT !!!! 

Riding remains enjoyable - Those riding (myself included) always try to argue against the risk we face, yet we still face risk which is elevated by far. Those who don’t ride don’t understand the risk as they’ve never ridden, but they are generally correct in pointing out that riding here is just so unsafe. 

Fortuner

7 hours ago, Mises said:

I have a Kawasaki ER6 with ABS and when about 6 years old the ABS on the rear brake failed.  It was not that the the ABS did not work but that the brake did not work at all.  I Googled this and found it was a common fault mentioned on various forums.  Interestingly there were no reports of similar happening to the front brake but I assume that is because the riders were too dead to post any comments.

I removed the ABS which I had always hated anyway.

Yupp, ABS can cost you your life! Did you report that to Kawasaki Japan HQ??? I have front ABS on my chopper and am over the fence in regards to pro and con... So far, no crash and no failures - it's a Honda, I should add.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Freigeist365 said:

Hey, Watso63 - did you have an NDE? If yes, we could exchange our stories. I went to the other side in the 2014 Tsunami.

No, just wondered where I was when I woke up, saw my arms and left leg up in the air in traction then had flashes of the white van that pulled out in front of me lol

• Haha 1

On 11/11/2020 at 11:59 AM, richard_smith237 said:

I would hasten to add:

- Pajero = d!<k with appalling taste in style driving aggressively .

Edited by NanLaew
  • Haha 1