Help With This Thai Name

engrin

Family friend has a daughter and wants to know how spell her Thai name in English.

I'm new to Thailand so not sure how the phonetics go!!

สุรีรัฐ ชว่งกลาง

Edited by engrin

Family friend has a daughter and wants to know how spell her Thai name in English.

I'm new to Thailand so not sure how the phonetics go!!

สุรีรัฐ ชว่งกลาง

Transliteration isn't an exact art but the way I would see it spelled is:

Sureerad ChuangGlang

There are, however, several different standardized transliteration systems, which i've never learned, that might be a better way to spell the above. I imagine another TV poster will know about those systems and help you out further. There are even some who've developed their own formalized transliteration systems.

Anyway, to get you started my feel for how the name would be spelled in English is above.

Hi all :D

Just a couple of 'tweaks' to the transliteration...........

สุรีรัฐ ชว่งกลาง

The second to last consonant and the final vowel of the forename (รั) ror reua, sara u - I would transliterate as ru (as in 'but')

The third to last consonant of the second name (ก) gor gai, should correctly be transliterated as the English letter 'g'

The first vowel (sara) of the first name is the short 'u' as in 'book', so I would say that it should be (transliterated) as

soo-ree-rut Chuangglang

Of course this is only my opinion, as Thai to English transliteration can be extremely frustrating - as even the 'official' version is incorrect!! (In my opinion)

A humerous aside highlighting the 'fluidity' of transliteration:

Englishman on telephone speaking to a Thai person ".....and how do you spell your name?"........(Thai person replies) "How would you like to spell it?"

I find Thai-English transliteration both fascinating and annoying!!!!! :o

Sureerut Chawongklang...... :o

I think that Jaray is correct: the first part of the surname is "Chuang," but I wonder why there is a falling-tone mark. If it were a mid-tone word, it would mean "interval" or "span," which might seem to fit with the second part, which should definitely be written with a "gor gai" as "glaang," meaning "middle."

Unless, of course, it comes from a Chinese name...

In which case, i could be totally wrong.

I think that Jaray is correct: the first part of the surname is "Chuang," but I wonder why there is a falling-tone mark. If it were a mid-tone word, it would mean "interval" or "span," which might seem to fit with the second part, which should definitely be written with a "gor gai" as "glaang," meaning "middle."

A falling tone for ช่วง is correct.

The third to last consonant of the second name (ก) gor gai, should correctly be transliterated as the English letter 'g'

Why? It's not the same as the English /g/. The standard translit for most Thai names is /k/, like the /k/ in 'skin'. For the English soft k sound it would be /kh/. There is no /g/ in Thai. :D

Two most common translits would be Surirat Chuangklang and Sureerat Chuangklang. Some Thais might use Sureerath/Surirath as well.

A falling tone for ช่วง is correct.

The third to last consonant of the second name (à¸) gor gai, should correctly be transliterated as the English letter 'g'
Why? It's not the same as the English /g/. The standard translit for most Thai names is /k/, like the /k/ in 'skin'. For the English soft k sound it would be /kh/. There is no /g/ in Thai. :D

Two most common translits would be Surirat Chuangklang and Sureerat Chuangklang. Some Thais might use Sureerath/Surirath as well.

Okay, but is there a /kh/ in English? Consideringing the difference between the Thai words for "chicken" and "egg," isn't "gai" pretty much the same sound as the English "guy"? That's how I hear it, but some may hear it differently. Alas, transliteration will never be agreed upon. Far better to be able to read Thai.