Extension of Visa using a Joint Bank Account

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Your name only for two months before you apply.

Joint names won't work.

Edit: Some offices will accept a joint account that shows at least 1.6 million baht in it for a married couple.

Wrote the requirement for retirement.

For an extension based upon marriage it will not be accepted.

Edited by ubonjoe
corrected error
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, chesterubi1 said:

Hi Ubonjoe, would it not be 800,000 in a Joint Account, which double the Marriage requirement.

Think was small slip.

Yes 800k would be the amount.

Have read that this was accepted at various io, but you would need check with your imm office.

Edited by DrJack54

48 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Think was small slip.

Yes 800k would be the amount.

Have read that this was accepted at various io, but you would need check with your imm office.

See the edit of my post. I had retirement on my mind.

A joint account will not be accepted for a extension based upon marriage.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2020 at 3:34 PM, ubonjoe said:

Edit: Some offices will accept a joint account that shows at least 1.6 million baht in it for a married couple.

Wrote the requirement for retirement.

For an extension based upon marriage it will not be accepted.

I had the same experience for my retirement visa a couple of years back when Immig in Chiang Mai accepted a double deposit. Now (because of the medical insurance requirement) I've moved to a marriage visa.

58 minutes ago, George Aylesham said:

I had the same experience for my retirement visa a couple of years back when Immig in Chiang Mai accepted a double deposit. Now (because of the medical insurance requirement) I've moved to a marriage visa.

You are aware that insurance requirement is just for O-A type visa entry?  If using a normal marriage O visa entry you can use either extension without need of insurance (other than current COVID type requirements if not here currently).

9 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

I think also the 400,000bht in a Thai bank for marriage extension must show to have come from overseas, correct me if wrong!

Never found this requirement for either a marriage Visa or a retirement Visa in the last 20 years. My money is all in Thailand either cash or in Thai shares. I've never been asked to prove that it's been imported

24 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

I think also the 400,000bht in a Thai bank for marriage extension must show to have come from overseas, correct me if wrong!

Not correct.

To obtain a non o retirement the money needs to come from o/s if the non o obtained in Thailand.

Not required for non o marriage.

Note for extensions to the non o retirement/marriage the money in bank does not need to shown coming from o/s

Edited by DrJack54

10 minutes ago, gamini said:

Never found this requirement for either a marriage Visa or a retirement Visa in the last 20 years. My money is all in Thailand either cash or in Thai shares. I've never been asked to prove that it's been imported

I think the letter required from the bank states that it originated from abroad!

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

I think the letter required from the bank states that it originated from abroad!

There is no requirement for proof the 400k baht came from abroad. Same for the 800k baht for a extension based upon retirement.

Only a application for a non-o visa entry applied for at immigration requires proof that the 800 baht came from abroad for retirement.

• Like 1

I went to Chiang Mai Immigration today and can confirm that you can use a Joint Bank Account, for applying for a 1 year extension based on Marriage, as long as you have at least double the normally required funds. I went to the bank and got the necessary documents and have submitted my application without issue.

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2020 at 2:54 PM, maxcorrigan said:

Only required for the initial visa application - not required to come from overseas for extensions.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/13/2020 at 3:04 PM, chesterubi1 said:

Hi, I am planning to extend my Non-O Marriage Visa at the Chiang Mai Immigration office. Has anyone done this using a joint bank account and is it just a case of having double the required funds in the account.

Wouldn't be a lot simpler just opening a new single account?

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Wouldn't be a lot simpler just opening a new single account?

1.  You have to open the account - often an issue that requires time and paperwork.

2.  You have an account that wife will not be able to access in the event of your death until court action taken (months later).

3.  Another account to keep track of.

On the other hand less chance of going below the required 400k by mistake and no question of immigration accepting if you use own name account.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

On the other hand less chance of going below the required 400k by mistake and no question of immigration accepting if you use own name account.

For the extension based upon marriage the wording of clause 2.18 states this and that makes it very easy for immigration to say no for a joint account.

"(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year."

And you have to remember that it has to be approved at the division level of immigration and they could deny it even if it was accepted by the local immigration office.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

For the extension based upon marriage the wording of clause 2.18 states this and that makes it very easy for immigration to say no for a joint account.

"(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year."

Agree but then you can argue a joint account of 800k equals 400k being yours under Thailand joint property laws.  But best not to go down that road and just have in your own account these days.  

• Like 1

Personally the whole thing is a Charade, 

• Make a transaction and update bank book on the day
  • 3 month or 1 year certified statement from the bank
  • Letter from the bank to certify you are a true customer, despite the fact you have a certified statement and bank book

And still they want to see the original Bank Book at immigration, just to make sure that all of the above is not forged.

Ridiculous bureaucracy

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

1.  You have to open the account - often an issue that requires time and paperwork.

2.  You have an account that wife will not be able to access in the event of your death until court action taken (months later).

3.  Another account to keep track of.

My wife can transfer funds from my account to hers quite easily. All she needs is my smartphone and a computer. If someone is that worried about their wife not getting money, they could set it up so that she has the private keys. 

2 minutes ago, chesterubi1 said:

Personally the whole thing is a Charade, 

• Make a transaction and update bank book on the day
  • 3 month or 1 year certified statement from the bank
  • Letter from the bank to certify you are a true customer, despite the fact you have a certified statement and bank book

And still they want to see the original Bank Book at immigration, just to make sure that all of the above is not forged.

Ridiculous bureaucracy

Compared to other countries, it's rather easy, in my experience. 

50 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

My wife can transfer funds from my account to hers quite easily. All she needs is my smartphone and a computer. If someone is that worried about their wife not getting money, they could set it up so that she has the private keys. 

Which would be fraud - until court decision she has not rights to money in your account and if bank is aware you are deceased the account will be locked.  Yes it will often work but it is not something that should be depended upon.  

Some years ago, I tried for my normal retirement visa extension at Mae Sai Immigration using joint account held with my wife.  

The I/O was absolutely adamant that 2 names on the account (in the bank book) required 800,000 Baht for each name, never mind that only one of those names wanted a visa.  I seem to recall that she showed me some written regulation to back up her claim.  Since then I have kept an account with only my name in the book, and never had any problems.

This was the only time I have ever tried to use a joint account, so the rules might have changed.  Also rules might be flexible, as often in Thailand, and depend on the I/O.  I am not prepared to take the chance. 

I believe that following the written rules to the letter gives the I/O less scope for finding fault with any application.