Majority of people shun superstition in quest of lottery luck: poll

webfact

8 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Can anyone here explain the Thai obsession with 'lucky, or  'good' numbers that i hear about so often? 

I've lived here for a good few years, but never been able to understand the reasoning behind it..  

Superstition.?

1 hour ago, Kaopad999 said:

Can anyone here explain the Thai obsession with 'lucky, or  'good' numbers that i hear about so often? 

I've lived here for a good few years, but never been able to understand the reasoning behind it..  

Some of it comes from Chinese superstition, like the number 8 being lucky. Not sure about the rest, but probably home grown. Some people find numbers in dreams... like if they dreamt about seeing 3 monks they would pick 3 as one of their lucky numbers... It's all a bit random.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

A recent poll shows that a great majority of people consider winning a lottery just a matter of luck, uninfluenced by the superstitious practices many people fall prey to.

You can't really believe polls any longer. Polls can be influenced by factors including the composition of the sample and the statistical algorithms and can be juked to reflect the pollster's own bias.
My experience living around Thais in both rural and urban settings, but especially in rural settings is that the majority of Thais consider winning a lottery as a function of luck very, very much influenced by superstitious and supernatural practices as well as karma.

I always plays the same numbers, statistically they will come out one day...????

However reminds me of a news article that I read a number of years ago – at my age "a number of years" can be anything from a few and up to 30 – about a Brit that always played the same numbers in the weekly lotto, and his wife renewed the lotto-coupon. One week his numbers came out as winner – that was the week his wife had forgot to renew his lotto-coupon...????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Abmong said:

Some of it comes from Chinese superstition, like the number 8 being lucky. Not sure about the rest, but probably home grown. Some people find numbers in dreams... like if they dreamt about seeing 3 monks they would pick 3 as one of their lucky numbers... It's all a bit random.

There are not enough numbers on the lottery tickets to add up to all the monkeys I see on a daily basis. 5555555

Bought a car... gf used the red plate numbers and won. Most of the family did the same.... everyone happy with the only Farang in the village.

Picked a ripe papaya off a tree in our garden. Had numbers ingrained on its skin. Gf used them. Won. 2 weeks later half the village are up our ladder looking at the fruits. No more winners. No one happy with the only farang in the village.

Numbers off frogs, any fruit, car plates, dreams, parrot tasked with selecting numbers, temples, womens hairy legs, coffee stains, tea leaves, palms of someone's hands, leaves, dog poo....... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1