Government liberalises sale and possession of category II narcotics

webfact

▪︎ For the benefit of the government ?

I'm thinking: "The <deleted> is about to hit the fan!" 

Military and Police applications for enhanced/induced aggression and authoritarian hostilities. 

Yes, we read about this in WWI and WWII.

Hitler, Moussolini, and Stalin... all Speedball users. 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Government liberalises sale and possession of category II narcotics

By THE NATION

800_cce80208501c7a2.jpg?v=1605582511

A new Public Health Ministry regulation allows the sale and possession of category II narcotics under the Narcotic Act BE 2522 (1979).

An announcement to the effect was published in the Royal Gazette website on Monday.

Category II comprises 102 ordinary narcotics, such as morphine, cocaine, codeine, medicinal opium, and fresh opium.

Under the ministerial regulation, the permit to sell category II narcotics will be granted to applicants for the following purposes:

▪︎ Medical treatment or disease prevention in patients or animals;

▪︎ Medical or scientific analysis or study;

▪︎ For the benefit of the government.

The permit to possess category II narcotics will be granted to applicants for the following purposes:

▪︎ Manufacturing of category III narcotics, which are in the form of medicinal formula and contain narcotics of category II as ingredients in accordance with the rules prescribed by the minister, such as cough medicine, diarrhoea medicine;

▪︎ Used as an example for educational purposes;

▪︎ Medical or scientific analysis or study;

▪︎ For the benefit of the government;

▪︎ For providing first aid or in case of emergency in public transport ships or aeroplanes operating on international routes that are registered in the Kingdom.

This regulation will be effective 240 days after the date of announcement in the Royal Gazette.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398079

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-17

For the benefit of the government? Does that mean members won't have to rely on obtaining illegal drugs? ????

8 hours ago, connda said:

@Sheryl  Would this possibly open up the wider use of narcotics such as morphine for end-of-life palliative care outside of provincial government hospitals.  Like possibly government hospitals at the amphur level finally being allowed to procure and prescribe Cat II narcotics for the suffering of terminal patients under the hospital's care?

They already can. Certainly nothing in the law precludes it, the only (prior) restriction wad to hospitals (any type/level).

There may be some district level hospitals that simply choose not to order/stock it. But it has never been a legal constraint for any hospital to have and prescribe it.

If the wording in the article is correct (something that can never be assumed here) it might now become possible for pharmacies with a grade I pharmacist on duty to sell it, but not totally clear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Walter Travolta said:

I dont have facts as it was a comment based from what I see/witness/experience through friends who have vaped, along with Vape shops not hanging around long (some succeed obviously) 
As for your statement saying cigarette sales have gone down and vape sales have risen, I agree. Thats because there is simply a 'new' product competing with cigarette sales. If cigars were new on the market I would expect the same. My point about them being a fad is that people try it and then go back to cigs from what I have witnessed

i appreciate your comments . yes some do go back for myself i was smoking 60 a day 8 years ago .i tried a cheap e  cig  which was not enough to satisfy . then bought a more expensive one i never had another giggy since and i know thousands of others have done the same . it's a controversial subject  and open to opinions. one fact is it is 95% safer than normal cigarettes. one  cigarette contains at least 4000 chemicals  legal vaping juice contains 4 . i make my own so know whats in it . have a nice evening thanks    

• Like 2

On 11/17/2020 at 3:15 AM, webfact said:

A new Public Health Ministry regulation allows the sale and possession of category II narcotics under the Narcotic Act BE 2522 (1979).

Call me sceptical, but why do i think,ultimately,  that this is an attempt to change the course of justice in regards to a certain drink's tycoon

18 hours ago, PEE TEE said:

i appreciate your comments . yes some do go back for myself i was smoking 60 a day 8 years ago .i tried a cheap e  cig  which was not enough to satisfy . then bought a more expensive one i never had another giggy since and i know thousands of others have done the same . it's a controversial subject  and open to opinions. one fact is it is 95% safer than normal cigarettes. one  cigarette contains at least 4000 chemicals  legal vaping juice contains 4 . i make my own so know whats in it . have a nice evening thanks    

I smoke rolling tobacco and instead of using a filter, I use a roach. I can have a normal cigarette from a packet of 20 and I will be coughing and my throat will be itchy/irritated from that one cigarette and that has a filter! I think the chemicals in packet cigarettes (inc the filter) are astronomical. Plus when you roll your own, the roll up dies out if you stop puffing on it and you just go back to it, where a cig from a pack just burns down. 
I convinced a friend to go onto rolling (he had smoked it before, he is in his 70s!!) because I find I cough so much less and he did and found the same outcome. Problem is he went back onto packet cigs as he got tired of rolling them!

On 11/17/2020 at 1:54 PM, yellowboat said:

A government for the government by the government.   At least they are honest about not being for the people.

I recall a long time ago being involved in a proposed software piracy law here. Excluded were the government and all its agencies. 

• Haha 1

On 11/17/2020 at 8:54 PM, Ty Hareways said:

Surprised Ketamine's not on the list,seems there's quite a lot of that hanging around in a warehouse just outside Bangkok.

Yes there are. No there aren't. Yes there are. No there aren't. Look behind you!! Pantomime season is here again. But then it's always pantomime season in Thailand.????

• Haha 1