Great little wine selection right around the corner from my new abode.

WineOh

Today I am happy!

Just stocked up my wine fridge with a fine selection of Chilean, argentine, aussie and french wines

some wines on special for 229 a bottle!

14% full body, tastes great too!

my aim is to fill my fridge with red wine and constantly keep it topped up.

I am trying to drink more wine these days as beer makes me tired and moody.

anyone ever tried any Thai wines??

I have been looking online but all I can find are sweet desert wines.

Anybody know a decent winery, possibly in the North that makes red wine in country??

cheers! ???? 

wine.jpg

Edited by Liverpoolfan

On 11/20/2020 at 10:51 AM, Liverpoolfan said:

Today I am happy!

Just stocked up my wine fridge with a fine selection of Chilean, argentine, aussie and french wines

some wines on special for 229 a bottle!

14% full body, tastes great too!

my aim is to fill my fridge with red wine and constantly keep it topped up.

I am trying to drink more wine these days as beer makes me tired and moody.

anyone ever tried any Thai wines??

I have been looking online but all I can find are sweet desert wines.

Anybody know a decent winery, possibly in the North that makes red wine in country??

cheers! ???? 

wine.jpg

I guess  i am lucky not being in Thai anymore, I buy 5 liters for just a fraction more than you pay for 1 bottle 

of 750 ml I pay 320 baht for 5 liters of beautiful red Australian wine.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 1:47 AM, Meat Pie 47 said:

I guess  i am lucky not being in Thai anymore, I buy 5 liters for just a fraction more than you pay for 1 bottle 

of 750 ml I pay 320 baht for 5 liters of beautiful red Australian wine.

Just beat you to it. In the small town I live in Italy I can get a decent Merlot. 5 litre 220 Baht.

On the downside I’m stuck in Thailand as it’s safer. 
Went with my partner to a family party last night. 2017 Bordeaux

3000 Baht a bottle. I didn’t ask the price of the Johnnie Walker.

I wasn’t paying for the night. Stay Safe.

IMO Thai wine is a victim of Thai xenophobia. They must have a lot of stuck ferments, because it always seems too sugary to me. It's also not helped by smoke taint, which settles on the grape skins and can ruin a perfectly good vintage in a couple of days. And Thailand has at least a month of smoke.

If the Thai Government brought in knowledgeable vintners and oenologists for guidance, I have no doubt Thai wine could improve. I'll take a bet right now Thailand does not have a laboratory capable of doing all the analyses required to identify where the problems are.

Not going to happen with the present rulers.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO Thai wine is a victim of Thai xenophobia. They must have a lot of stuck ferments, because it always seems too sugary to me. It's also not helped by smoke taint, which settles on the grape skins and can ruin a perfectly good vintage in a couple of days. And Thailand has at least a month of smoke.

If the Thai Government brought in knowledgeable vintners and oenologists for guidance, I have no doubt Thai wine could improve. I'll take a bet right now Thailand does not have a laboratory capable of doing all the analyses required to identify where the problems are.

Not going to happen with the present rulers.

https://cnaluxury.channelnewsasia.com/remarkableliving/thai-wine-female-winemaker-12154884

https://www.siamwinery.com/en/about-us/news/_01-news-blog-list-section/monsoon_valley_300_awards

45 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Interesting, thanks. I note Lohitnavy went to Australia to learn about winemaking.

I'll be in Hua Hin over Christmas, will check out Monsoon Valley.

That's two winemakers in Thailand who have some idea of what they are doing, although I'll bet they can't do stuff like guaiacol tests. ( Smoke taint ). Australia has 2500 wineries that can.

There is no reason for Thai Wines to be as expensive as they are.

Thai wines simply price themselves out of the market and a decent new world wine can be purchased for a better price than a poorer quality Thai wine. 

Monsoon Valley is the best of the Thai Wines IMO, but, the Boxed ‘fruit wines’ (i.e. Mont Claire) are more drinkable - I know, a shocking statement, but they just are. 

A few years ago I took a tour of the PB Valley winery - very interesting. At the end I tried a load of their wines, I’m no expert and after an interesting, informative and enjoyable tour I was really hoping to purchase some nice Thai wine. But, they were all awful, even their ‘best’ reserve wines (at about 1500 baht per bottle).

I had a nice SA Pinotage last night, but at 600-700 baht a bottle, its still too much when the same wine in the UK would be about 200 baht.

Best ‘bang for buck’ in Thailand is quite possible the Tesco’s finest range.... 

There are also some decent ‘online’ suppliers - but its still hit and miss and still expensive (at 500b per bottle at least)

It’d be very interesting to lean of how decent the 229 baht that Liverpoolfan purchased, and wether its ‘wine' or 'fruit-wine’.