How can golf clubs in Thailand survive the next 6 months?

ASEAN NOW Golf

In view of the very low cost of land and labour here, golf is still way overpriced. I can't imagine, what with the price of a round, caddy and cart fee, how much profit the owners were making out of us golfers. Even if they chop their fees right back, offer free carts and optional caddies, I reckon they'll still make a handsome profit. Just not the fabulous riches that they made pre-covid.

One of my biggest disappointments on arrival here thirteen years or so back was finding that I couldn't afford a round of golf on a regular basis, especially as my house backs onto the course. I have to make the half hour drive to the cheaper navy course.

Edited by jesimps
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, jesimps said:

In view of the very low cost of land and labour here, golf is still way overpriced. I can't imagine, what with the price of a round, caddy and cart fee, how much profit the owners were making out of us golfers. Even if they chop their fees right back, offer free carts and optional caddies, I reckon they'll still make a handsome profit. Just not the fabulous riches that they made pre-covid.

One of my biggest disappointments on arrival here thirteen years or so back was finding that I couldn't afford a round of golf on a regular basis, especially as my house backs onto the course. I have to make the half hour drive to the cheaper navy course.

It's quite possible if they made caddies optional, had yearly membership, no additional green fees, optional cart then they'd make more money as they would be busier. The duff caddies would find alternative work something more suitable, the good ones would potentially make more money

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LNKDES1 said:

Dress Code? Although I'm always, what I consider, well dressed, I sure don't need the "Fashion Police" telling me I have to wear a collared shirt. Not when I watch the pros on TV playing without one.

Well when those pro.s start feeling the back of there neck and wonder why there skin feels like sandpaper then maybe they might wish they had worn a collar. But this Thailand so....up too yooo.

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It's actually the caddies that are suffering the most. I talk with the caddies, they have seen their income drop by two-thirds.

As I was a caddie myself between the ages of 12 and 18, I always tip over the odds. Perhaps it has not occurred to you people who acquire a reputation for being stingy, wind up with the least competent caddies. The caddie fee is a guaranteed income, and also should cover workplace injury insurance. A tip is not and does not.

IMO those courses that are holding their green fees at promotional levels will do better than those who have jacked up their green fees for a high season that does not exist.

Your talking rubbish...you get what caddie you are given competent or not.....i caddied for just over 10 years i,ve played over a 100 rounds here  and i doubt if i could count 10 what i would call good caddies. I tip 350 baht for caddies who drive the cart and 500 for those that pull a trolley...so don,t tell me i,m stingy....i rake my own bunkers laser my yardages and read my own putts.

36 minutes ago, keithsimmonds said:

Your talking rubbish...you get what caddie you are given competent or not.....i caddied for just over 10 years i,ve played over a 100 rounds here  and i doubt if i could count 10 what i would call good caddies. I tip 350 baht for caddies who drive the cart and 500 for those that pull a trolley...so don,t tell me i,m stingy....i rake my own bunkers laser my yardages and read my own putts.

Why so hostile? Most of the caddies I get are willing to learn from me. I've had professional caddie training.

I'd agree the tips you are giving are not stingy, but that doesn't mean I can't disagree with you on the subject of the caddie fee. Not everyone tips like you or me. Post-COVID, their income is way down, why would you want to make it less?  Pay 1000 baht for a round, the caddie probably only gets 100. It's the green fees that need to come down to attract more golfers.

I don't need a laser for yardages, and I read my own putts too. I need a caddie for raking bunkers, and picking balls out of the hole, etc. as I have back and hip issues.

When I was a member at a Chiang Mai club, I had a regular caddie. I'd agree you get what you are given on a pay for play basis.

38 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Why so hostile? Most of the caddies I get are willing to learn from me. I've had professional caddie training.

I'd agree the tips you are giving are not stingy, but that doesn't mean I can't disagree with you on the subject of the caddie fee. Not everyone tips like you or me. Post-COVID, their income is way down, why would you want to make it less?  Pay 1000 baht for a round, the caddie probably only gets 100. It's the green fees that need to come down to attract more golfers.

I don't need a laser for yardages, and I read my own putts too. I need a caddie for raking bunkers, and picking balls out of the hole, etc. as I have back and hip issues.

When I was a member at a Chiang Mai club, I had a regular caddie. I'd agree you get what you are given on a pay for play basis.

My wifes family are knocking there crutch out for less than 300baht a day farming in Chaiyaphum...so yeah i feel that my 350 to 500baht plus there percentage of there caddie fee for 4 hours work is more than generous....especially when the vast majority imo dont deserve it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, keithsimmonds said:

My wifes family are knocking there crutch out for less than 300baht a day farming in Chaiyaphum...so yeah i feel that my 350 to 500baht plus there percentage of there caddie fee for 4 hours work is more than generous....especially when the vast majority imo dont deserve it.

The difference is, the farm employment is permanent, caddying is casual. That 4 hours work might have to tide a caddie over for another 3 or 4 days, until the next golfer comes along. A course that has 100 caddies employed on rotation, that's a lot of waiting around.

I don't disagree farming is hard yakka, I wouldn't do it.

1 hour ago, keithsimmonds said:

Well when those pro.s start feeling the back of there neck and wonder why there skin feels like sandpaper then maybe they might wish they had worn a collar. But this Thailand so....up too yooo.

So you actually think the courses here give a flying fig if you sunburn your neck? At my home course here in Kanchanaburi, carts are mandatory, so I'm out of the sun 80-85% of the time anyway. Some of the younger bucks prefer to walk, and if my knees allowed it, I would as well. Then I would strongly consider a collared shirt. But then, my usual tee time is zero dark thirty, & I am finished, showered and on my way home by 0930, way ahead of the overhead sun (and clown pants).

12 hours ago, topt said:

Which courses have raised their prices? Around Pattaya most have pretty much stayed the same in November as per previous months and I am not hearing of increases for December.

Emerald raised by 100 baht,  not much but still an increase for high season. Greenwood we're posting on FBI about high season starting,  haven't seen any increase yet. 

1 hour ago, LNKDES1 said:

So you actually think the courses here give a flying fig if you sunburn your neck? At my home course here in Kanchanaburi, carts are mandatory, so I'm out of the sun 80-85% of the time anyway. Some of the younger bucks prefer to walk, and if my knees allowed it, I would as well. Then I would strongly consider a collared shirt. But then, my usual tee time is zero dark thirty, & I am finished, showered and on my way home by 0930, way ahead of the overhead sun (and clown pants).

Mate of mine came over from Oz 3 years ago like me he was a guest of a member at Eastern Star (Ban Chang) he wore a round neck T shirt and and looked like he was going to the beach,seeing as both he and i were members of Home Park (Hampton Court Palace) i could n,t believe what he was wearing. At the 1st while waiting to T off a lady came along and made him buy a shirt from the pro shop...and yeah it wasn,t because she was worried about his neck getting burnt...  Standards principles you either have them or you don,t.

4 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Er...a collar helps keeping sun off the neck how, exactly?  A hat with an all round brim much better.

You should stop and think why a collar was introduced...it was to hold a tie.  No other reason.  How many years is it since golfers wore a tie while playing (Ryan whatshisname notwithstanding)

PH

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

You should stop and think why a collar was introduced...it was to hold a tie.  No other reason.  How many years is it since golfers wore a tie while playing (Ryan whatshisname notwithstanding)

well, no.

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/the-history-of-mens-shirt-collars-is-all-about-social-class-and-avoiding-laundry

On 11/20/2020 at 10:28 AM, Thaivisa Golf said:

How can golf clubs in Thailand survive the next 6 months?

During the Pandemic, golf clubs have tried hard to cut back on expenditure, while 80% of their courses still need regular maintenance.

I am absolutely AMAZED that 20% of golf courses don't need regular maintenance.

What do these places look like?

Is the Sriracha International Golf Club among these?

On 11/20/2020 at 10:28 AM, Thaivisa Golf said:

So, golf club managers are going to have to be creative to stimulate more rounds of golf.

What ideas would you suggest, to encourage us to get out and play more golf?

Perhaps Free Carts, more sports days, 12-hole rounds, food vouchers…. let us have your suggestions.

No, managers have to maximize the money flowing in, not necessarily the numbers of rounds.

In my opinion, there is space for some courses with another business model, i.e. only charging an annual membership without per-round fees and optional caddies and carts.
But I can't see many of the current courses adopting it, because the above is basically a non-profit organization, especially when considering the real estate involved.

It would be interesting of a golf club could be setup similarly to a condo.

5 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Mate of mine came over from Oz 3 years ago like me he was a guest of a member at Eastern Star (Ban Chang) he wore a round neck T shirt and and looked like he was going to the beach,seeing as both he and i were members of Home Park (Hampton Court Palace) i could n,t believe what he was wearing. At the 1st while waiting to T off a lady came along and made him buy a shirt from the pro shop...and yeah it wasn,t because she was worried about his neck getting burnt...  Standards principles you either have them or you don,t.

There are standards, and there are ridiculous standards.

I played at a very old golf course in Scotland -third oldest course after St. Andrews, Bruntsfield, near Edinburgh. Between getting out of the car and leaving the golf course, I would have changed in and out of a jacket and tie at least three times.

One of the members was complaining about declining membership. I said with your dress code, I'm surprised you have any members at all.

5 hours ago, tgw said:

I am absolutely AMAZED that 20% of golf courses don't need regular maintenance.

What do these places look like?

Is the Sriracha International Golf Club among these?

2013 Pattaya courses I remember often seeing caddies weeding the fairways, over the years it became less and less, some even ignored divots, "not look not see" one said to me, then the bunkers many would leave them unraked if they could get away with it

Edited by scubascuba3

5 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

I miss the 3-par course in Chiang Mai that was just north of Meechok Plaza on the Maejo Road. Now it's a housing estate development. 

There's always the San Sai course, 2 short par fours and the rest par 3's. Or am I talking about the same course?

18 hours ago, PFMills said:

That is a new one ... care to say which club and where

Not gonna tell you but I only found out after playing the course for 5 years so they do not broadcast the dual pricing , probably dual pricing for golf is not uncommon in Thailand as it is found in many other forms of entertainment or entry fees  

1 hour ago, superal said:

Not gonna tell you but I only found out after playing the course for 5 years so they do not broadcast the dual pricing , probably dual pricing for golf is not uncommon in Thailand as it is found in many other forms of entertainment or entry fees  

it's common practice.

many courses have unofficial promotional rates for local Thai people.

I often used promotional rates for myself, using a special promotion my Thai golf partners were theoretically not entitled to, such as PSC promo, green fee vouchers, etc. but in the end they all got the same rate as me.

• Thanks 1