Can a Thai wife get at USA assets upon divorce, even if we never go to the USA?

BananaBandit

9 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

Any inheritance money received by either spouse would remain their personal property (sin suan tua) and could not be claimed by the other in the event of divorce.

Thai CCC section 1471 line 3 applies.

That would only apply if the wife is pursuing a divorce in Thailand, if she went to the US and found a lawyer, it would be a divorce under US law.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, chuang said:

Before getting married you already started thinking about not giving anything to your wife

Wife yes,  ex wife no. 

A long time ago, a friend of mine who speaks Thai was listening in on a conversation between  2 Thai women at a coffee shop . One of them was carefully explaining to the other one exactly how long she needed to stay with an older German guy she had just met , in order to maximize the amount of benefits and support she could get after divorcing  him (deliberately). 

Don't kid yourself, some women also get married with an exit strategy that was pre- planned.

The 3 Gabor sisters married 20 different guys over time.  All of them were wealthy.

Edited by Seth1a2a
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you don't register your marriage in the US how would she be able to claim anything? Perhaps that's just being logical and she can, but could she afford to hire a lawyer in the US?

To be absolutely safe, don't officially marry a Thai woman. Village weddings are great- not legal.

You'd be screwed in NZ though. She only has to live with a man for 2 or 3 years and it's regarded as same as a legal marriage.

With a good lawyer she can get it.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Shot said:

"Generally, inheritances are not subject to equitable distribution because, by law, inheritances are not considered marital property. Instead, inheritances are treated as separate property belonging to the person who received the inheritance, and therefore may not be divided between the parties in a divorce."

https://family.findlaw.com/divorce/inheritance-and-divorce.html#:~:text=Generally%2C inheritances are not subject,the parties in a divorce.

The key here is not to comingle the funds. Your inheritance should be kept in a separate account in your name only. I'm speaking from experience after a divorce in Tennessee. I got screwed!

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

yes she can. you will be married. 

don't do it, step back from the ledge, you have your whole life ahead of you. 

Sound advice. Just don't do it! Enjoy your life with less stress. If you're worrying about this now then once hooked just think what could happen with no freedom. No upside for men in marriage.

On 11/22/2020 at 9:34 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

If you don't register your marriage in the US how would she be able to claim anything? Perhaps that's just being logical and she can, but could she afford to hire a lawyer in the US?

To be absolutely safe, don't officially marry a Thai woman. Village weddings are great- not legal.

You'd be screwed in NZ though. She only has to live with a man for 2 or 3 years and it's regarded as same as a legal marriage.

Pretty much the same in Australia although I think the time is less.

I often wonder whether the people asking these questions would do so if their wife was from their home country ?

On 11/22/2020 at 9:37 AM, Peterw42 said:

OP, take the geography out of the scenario. What would be your situation if you married someone tomorrow in the US.

Thai wife would theoretically be the same as marrying the girl next door in the US, she is your legal wife and the same rules apply.

Whether a Thai wife would have the means to pursue a US divorce settlement would be another question.

I think geography is particularly the point of his question and an essential part of the answer. Generalizations and simplification are not compatible with law. 

14 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

I think geography is particularly the point of his question and an essential part of the answer. Generalizations and simplification are not compatible with law. 

The geography makes no difference, a legal wife is a legal wife, irrespective of borders.or nationality.

A US divorce would be the same laws irrespective of geography. If the Thai wife pursued a divorcee in the US she would get the same settlement as a wife born and living in the US

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The geography makes no difference, a legal wife is a legal wife, irrespective of borders.or nationality.

If you say so, since as an international divorce attorney you certainly know more than I do. I'm not an attorney. 

But then again I wasn't dispensing legal advice either. 

Maintaining that geography is irrelevant to his strategy is naive in my non-legal opinion. 

My significant other and I plan on marrying within a year’s time (already 4 years together happily). Separate Thai and USA Wills already. Previous to marriage a prenup is planned. From the get go I had made clear that what comes to Thailand stays with her. My remaining funds in the US go to my two Sons. She has no issue with this. So, not so much here and Sons’ inheritance protected. I believe in any case, Thai law states only income/property during the marriage is subject to split upon divorce (additional fine points, such as inheritance, Thai land exclusions).

As long as you never bring her to the US, I doubt it. However, if you spend significant time there together, maybe. Otherwise, she has no chance of it. Where would she even start? And to be safe, there is no reason for her to even know wait your assets are in the US. Period. 

• Thanks 1