Brexit could affect economy for longer than COVID - BoE's Saunders

snoop1130

Brexit could affect economy for longer than COVID - BoE's Saunders

vbfgt.PNG

FILE PHOTO: A person is silhouetted as he walks past The Bank of England, amid the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in London, Britain, November 5, 2020. REUTERS/John Sibley

LONDON (Reuters) - Bank of England interest-rate setter Michael Saunders said the long-term effects of Brexit could have a bigger impact on companies than the coronavirus pandemic.

“Businesses will shake off the effect of COVID-19 as they’re temporary, but the long-term effects of Brexit could be more permanent,” Saunders said in an interview with TheBusinessDesk.com website.

BoE Governor Andrew Bailey said on Monday that a no-deal Brexit would cause longer-term damage to Britain’s economy than the pandemic, and the impact of the change might be felt for decades.

Britain and the European Union are still negotiating a trade agreement ahead of the Dec. 31 expiry of a post-Brexit transition period.

Saunders also said Britain’s economy was unlikely to fall into a recession.

“It’s not worth getting too worried about recession at the moment. We had a big recovery in Q3 and there will be a dip in Q4 – but we’re only forecasting a contraction of around 2%,” he said.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-11-25

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

All that hangs on your hope that ‘could’ doesn’t turn into ‘does’.

Presumably you have sight of the data the BoE are using as the basis of their predictions?

Nearly all of the BOE Project Fear post Brexit predictions have been proved false.

History is a great predictor of the future. Hence I shall be ignoring these guesses from the salaryman.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, placeholder said:

It's a universally observed economic phenomenon that the closer countries are to each other the more they will trade with each other. However, this will not be the case with the UK which will negotiate new deals with distant nations to replace trade lost with the EU because Brexit is magical!!!

We'll get a deal with the EU. It might take a few years but eventually they'll stop sulking like a dumped teenage girl. They just need to grow up a bit. Time is a great healer.

In the meantime, are you aware that it's possible to trade without an FTA?

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

22 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Brit leavers will put up with a lot in order to be rid of the EU, EEC, Common Market or whatever it's calling itself these days. Britain should never have joined in the first place. It should have gone flat out to strengthen ties within the Commonwealth and the USA.

You can't change the immediate future, and of course not the past, but YES things might have been different: right now a fringe of extreme brexiters have 100% power in the UK, the reality of public opinion the UK is much more balanced, with a majority now thinking brexit was a mistake in the first place. See image/video below

In the long game the old brexiters retirees will die and simple demographics will bring the UK in close association with Europe again. I read  an interesting term above: "rejoiners"

image.png.dcda172f46c1a3d510014e8ccc73bc26.png

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

You could always apply to rejoin the Commonwealth.

But would that not imply more foreigners having right of entry to the UK? Foreigners with an undesirable religion?

(this post may contain traces of sarcasm)

Actually, the UK is a member of the Commonwealth. The pre-eminent member. 

• Like 2

Just now, Laughing Gravy said:

Come on Grouse there have been more could have's maybe, possibly and might than you have had names on here.

Personally I don't care this

And my internet connection went before I finished. Another article from Reuters.

This is just more anchor material for the non Brits and Scottish brethren on here. They will be up all day on this juicy bit. Shame we have left the EU and I can't ever see the UK ever rejoining.

• Like 1