Bomb Explodes In Downtown Bangkok

george

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shattered glass flying over 10 meters and injuring someone at that distance is a pretty bid fire cracker.

Thank God no one really got hurt. Fortunately they are not using

"other things" as exposives...

This is the most cowardly way of creating civil unrest and senseless violence: bombing!

I wish their families of these bombers one day be killed the same way by someone they really do not know. Nothing else will make them understand the crazyness of their acts. How stupid, how cowardly... and what do they reach???

You are asking for the whole scale massacre of innocent people, including women and children, to teach a lesson to a handful of evil people. I believe that it is people like you who are responsible for global terror.

Do you not have the sense to realise that it is the spilling of innocent blood that makes impressionable youths join terrorist groups? Bush's war on terror, and all the other world leaders who have joined the bandwagon have done nothing more than create more terrorists.

Yes, we must fight terrorism. But vindictive and indiscriminate acts of violence that you call for are not the way to fight terrorism. On the short term, you need good intelligence to wipe out terrorists while minimising civilian casualties. But only efforts at understanding the root causes of conflicts, and tackling them will provide lasting solutions to any conflict.

People like you, who spew forth vitriolic hatred are a blotch on the face of humanity.

yes amigo im sure if you held them in your loving arms,let them suckle your tit, run your nurturing finger through thier hair,and tell them how you want to understand them. They will forget that God told them to kill you and It will stop raining blood in some part of your feeble little world. Or maybe they will bite it off throw a tire around you and let your innocent cilvilians light it on fire.

There's is only one case of that I know of where a serious terrorist group was put down using the kind of violence that you and dude007 are clamouring for, that being the Sikh insurgency in Punjab.

I don't know where you are from, but if you are from Britain, you would know that the IRA terrorists were defeated through dialogue and not through war. And as far as God telling people to kill, Bush invaded Iraq because God told him to, and more than 600,000 innocent civilians have been massacred as a result.

-------------------------------

Bush is not the problem. He is just a symptom. The people who are the real problem are much bigger, much much smarter, international and very dangerous.

Bush is a blithering idiot...

I think that the reality is that an individual or small group have decided to try to upset the government or the police or someone they don't like. The problem is the repercussions to tourism etc because of the sensationalist headlines around the world, created to sell newspapers or television time.

The next thing will be the knee-jerk reactions from the various government agencies around the world telling people not to travel to Thailand because of the danger of bombs....and in the end, the Thai people lose out because of the actions of cowardly idiots.

I hope the idea, posted here earlier, that the police and government know who it is but are keeping it quiet doesn't catch on either...that's simply tin-foil hat territory!

As the Australian Media Sees It

Small bomb explodes near Thai palace

A small bomb exploded near a royal palace in the Thai capital Bangkok on Saturday, lightly wounding one person as the country celebrated the anniversary of the coronation of King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

The bomb shattered a telephone booth outside the Chitrlada Palace, the Bangkok residence of Thailand's revered king who has been on the throne for 60 years, the world's longest reigning monarch.

It was not known if King Bhumibol, who turns 80 this year, was in the palace.

"It was intended to make a loud noise and cause chaos. It was not aimed to destroy life," Police Lieutenant General Adisorn Nonsi told TiTV television.

A young man in his 20s was slightly wounded and being questioned by police, TiTV said.

Thai authorities have not found the culprits behind a series of New Year's Eve bombs in Bangkok that killed three people and wounded 38.

In the immediate aftermath of those blasts, the military suggested that former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a coup last September, or his loyalists were behind the bombs. Thaksin denied any links to the blasts.

Investigators later suggested Muslim militants waging a three-year separatist insurgency in the deep south may have had a role in the Bangkok attacks.

Peter

thaksin behind it ( what a load of rubbish ) the religous group that dominates malaysia and indnonesia is behind all this, they want their religion to dominate the whole world by death dissaray,whatever it takes. well for my lot enough is enough . they should build walls and fences to keep them out of thailand, refuse to trade with them, as they have proved they want to drive us back to the tenth century or even back to the stone age. you will never ever win gainst them. just fence them out all over the world and let them solve their own problems over the next 1000 years.

This is the most cowardly way of creating civil unrest and senseless violence: bombing!

I wish their families of these bombers one day be killed the same way by someone they really do not know. Nothing else will make them understand the crazyness of their acts. How stupid, how cowardly... and what do they reach???

You are asking for the whole scale massacre of innocent people, including women and children, to teach a lesson to a handful of evil people. I believe that it is people like you who are responsible for global terror.

Do you not have the sense to realise that it is the spilling of innocent blood that makes impressionable youths join terrorist groups? Bush's war on terror, and all the other world leaders who have joined the bandwagon have done nothing more than create more terrorists.

Yes, we must fight terrorism. But vindictive and indiscriminate acts of violence that you call for are not the way to fight terrorism. On the short term, you need good intelligence to wipe out terrorists while minimising civilian casualties. But only efforts at understanding the root causes of conflicts, and tackling them will provide lasting solutions to any conflict.

People like you, who spew forth vitriolic hatred are a blotch on the face of humanity.

yes amigo im sure if you held them in your loving arms,let them suckle your tit, run your nurturing finger through thier hair,and tell them how you want to understand them. They will forget that God told them to kill you and It will stop raining blood in some part of your feeble little world. Or maybe they will bite it off throw a tire around you and let your innocent cilvilians light it on fire.

Cowardly? Yes, but effective.

thaksin behind it ( what a load of rubbish )

dont be so sure. there is so much at stake for him. there is no proof but nevertheless he would have a lot to gain by causing the people (locals and international) to lose hope in the government.

more condemnation and less denial would be nice from Thaksin. but then again, he was never really interested in looking out for Thailand, just himself and his family.

An insignificant effort at best. The larger causes are not likely represented here. A false flag operation would do more damage. Thaksin already has the people behind him so there is no need for him or his people to conduct such as this. That pretty much leaves a personal matter or perhaps somebody wants to keep the people frightened into some political decision. As an election looms, the people could be manipulated to vote a particular way out of fear. Funny thing is, Thais fear ghosts more than they fear terrorists.

There is a lot of sinister things going on here in the land of smiles.

1. Continued anti-government protests

2. The "apparent" murder of the auditor of one of Thaksin's companies

3. A large noise maker close to the King's palace on Coronation Day

Three activities seemingly unrelated....but are they ? One can weave a web of conspiracy theories until the cows come home but one fact remains. These events are designed to cause concern across the community and, in one case [just my opinion mind you], perhaps silence a possible leak to what went on during the Thaksin years.

The taking of a human life is to be condemned. I don't care what colour or creed that person is. To denounce the Muslim faith because of a group of hardcore fanatics is to do a grave injustice. Let's not forget that it is not only Buddhist followers who are being killed. It is indiscrimate and takes no account of gender or age. These people are criminals, nothing more. Manipulated young men who are more than eager to carry out the bidding of those in charge. It is to be hoped that these "masters" can be found and locked up......legally.

These people that call themselves "terrorists are nothing but uneducated cowards.

No, they are not uneducated. Many of the leaders are highly educated and you can wonder if they are cowards crashing themselves into buildings in hijacked airplanes. Well, surely I would not have the guts (or desire) to do that!

There's is only one case of that I know of where a serious terrorist group was put down using the kind of violence that you and dude007 are clamouring for, that being the Sikh insurgency in Punjab.

I don't know where you are from, but if you are from Britain, you would know that the IRA terrorists were defeated through dialogue and not through war. And as far as God telling people to kill, Bush invaded Iraq because God told him to, and more than 600,000 innocent civilians have been massacred as a result.

Bush is not the problem. He is just a symptom. The people who are the real problem are much bigger, much much smarter, international and very dangerous.

May I respectfully suggest that you guys left Bush alone. Bush has absolutely nothing to do with what is happening in Thailand. Your permanent reference to Bush shows your single mindness and stupidity. Muslim terrorists, JI and Wahabi arabs (who finance this campaign) are to blame. I said it before and I say it again: what we see in Thailand is a Chechenization of a religious conflict. The only solution to this problem is cutting all funds coming to deep South from wahabi arabs (and we are talking about hundred of millions of dollars here), total ban on religious schools and universities in deep South which promote wahabism and establishing total military control over the deep South which will put terrorists on the run . It is not true that military solution is not possible. Russians (with their corrupt and inefficient army-do you see any analogy here?) were able to supress Chechen separatist movement and stop terrorist activity on Russian territory outside Chechnya.

Regarding the study of roots of muslim terrorism, it may be a valid theoretical task but in practical terms organizers of random killings cross the line and should be stoped by all means (meaning killing them all). While some can argue that this is not an efficient tactics, one can count some success in places like Afganistan (where Taliban could be finished by now if not safe haven they have in Belujistan) and Somalia.

May I respectfully suggest that you guys left Bush alone. Bush has absolutely nothing to do with what is happening in Thailand. Your permanent reference to Bush shows your single mindness and stupidity. Muslim terrorists, JI and Wahabi arabs (who finance this campaign) are to blame. I said it before and I say it again: what we see in Thailand is a Chechenization of a religious conflict. The only solution to this problem is cutting all funds coming to deep South from wahabi arabs (and we are talking about hundred of millions of dollars here), total ban on religious schools and universities in deep South which promote wahabism and establishing total military control over the deep South which will put terrorists on the run . It is not true that military solution is not possible. Russians (with their corrupt and inefficient army-do you see any analogy here?) were able to supress Chechen separatist movement and stop terrorist activity on Russian territory outside Chechnya.

Regarding the study of roots of muslim terrorism, it may be a valid theoretical task but in practical terms organizers of random killings cross the line and should be stoped by all means (meaning killing them all). While some can argue that this is not an efficient tactics, one can count some success in places like Afganistan (where Taliban could be finished by now if not safe haven they have in Belujistan) and Somalia.

Interesting: * Wahhabi: a member of a strictly orthodox Sunni Muslim sect from Saudi Arabia; strives to purify Islamic beliefs and rejects any innovation occurring after the 3rd century of Islam; "Osama bin Laden is said to be a Wahhabi Muslim"

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* Wahhabism (sometimes spelled Wahabbism or Wahabism) is a movement of Islam named after Muhammad ibn Abd al Wahhab (1703–1792). It has become an object of increased interest because it is the major sect of the government and society of Saudi Arabia. Wahhabism is an offending synonym for one form of Salafism.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahabi

But where is the proof that Wahabism is supporting Muslim terrorist in the deep south?

1) I did say that Bush was not the problem.

2) That does not negate the fact that Bush Is an idiot.

3) Do not insinuate that the members of TV are stupid.

We are very, sensitive. Especially me.

4) It's also against forum rules genius.

So now they're using SMART BOMBS huh?

BANGKOK: -- A man was injured when an explosion believed to be from a bomb ripped off a telephone booth in the Thai capital tonight.

....... and the bomb wasd last seen running towards a local bank with a bag full of one baht coins tucked under it's fuse :o

Maybe just some teenagers getting rid of there new years firework.

Sorry this happens here in Mae Hong Son all the times by some school teen groups on motorbikes.

So please we don't see this headlines anymore for stupid stuff like this.

You wish these peoples families (women and children) will be killed; you are a true humanitarian certainly a person of more quality than those perpetuating the violence (yea right). **edited for flame***

Edited by sbk
flaming and abuse of other posters

the last time I expressed my opinion on radical who go around killing and bombing people I was barred from writing any post for a week because I was not politically correct before I become one of them I will stop posting my true feelings I lost my sister in law in 9-11 and it devasted my brother as well as my mother who is still alive she will be 90 in august so any one who want me to be politically correct can kiss my azz I am sorry I do not agree with the police that the motive is political due to the coup on PM Thaksin I suspect it trouble from the south coming north to show there strenth if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck it not a chicken

Whilst not wanting to pre-judge the culprit(s) A truck bomb killing 100 rammed into a tourist hotel is more the trademark of the nihilistic death cult that spawned from political Islam. The unrest in Southern Thailand was never on such a scale but even so if Southern agitators were the culprits I would have expected a larger bomb than yesterdays. I would still lean towards an anti-coup individual as being the most likely culprit with an outside chance that someone supporting the coup arranged the bomb themselves to gain political capital for the current government.

I think that the reality is that an individual or small group have decided to try to upset the government or the police or someone they don't like. The problem is the repercussions to tourism etc because of the sensationalist headlines around the world, created to sell newspapers or television time.

The next thing will be the knee-jerk reactions from the various government agencies around the world telling people not to travel to Thailand because of the danger of bombs....and in the end, the Thai people lose out because of the actions of cowardly idiots.

I hope the idea, posted here earlier, that the police and government know who it is but are keeping it quiet doesn't catch on either...that's simply tin-foil hat territory!

How do I make a tin foil hat? - I think I need one :o

Fire crackers do not injure people from 10 metres away.Bombs do.I dont think people would belittle this had the guy looked in the bag and lost his face or head.Just lucky it didnt kill anyone.Had someone been using the phone, this may well have been the case

Lets stop the flaming and abuse of other members that has been going on in this thread.

Well Said..................

The use of the term 'Bomb' to head this news story is the reason why this board is so active. I suppose 'Incendiary device set off in Bangkok' would hardly have gotten our attention as it is less of a headline grabber.

In my view, we should keep this very much in perspective. Last time i looked, 425 people died in Thailand during the Songkran holiday, a sorry waste of life. One guy gets hurt in a small explosion, and suddenly we are declaring war on each other!

Lets stop the flaming and abuse of other members that has been going on in this thread.

Well Said..................

The use of the term 'Bomb' to head this news story is the reason why this board is so active. I suppose 'Incendiary device set off in Bangkok' would hardly have gotten our attention as it is less of a headline grabber.

In my view, we should keep this very much in perspective. Last time i looked, 425 people died in Thailand during the Songkran holiday, a sorry waste of life. One guy gets hurt in a small explosion, and suddenly we are declaring war on each other!

agreed...however,most people that died over songkran did so as a result of drink driving.I CHOSE not do this and im alive and well.Walking past an exploding incendiary device and scattering myself over the surrounding area would not be my choice but the intentions of some maniac.Or my ex.

Hello,

i agree that it could have been just a small cracker, but then you called for the "media monkeys" to kump on the train. So far neither bangkok post or the nation covers the story.

why is that?????

regards

Timo

"Kump"?

The story is in BOTH The Nation and the Bangkok Post bro... check again. Did you honestly think that they wouldn't 'jump' on this story and start speculating as to who is behind it? C'mon man, this is gold for the media monkeys :o

When will it end? Just pray for best, look out for the worse. What can the government do to stop these attacks?? It goes without saying, It will hurt tourism for sure this time around. Maybe the power that be will listen to the people and comeup with some ideals to bring peace back to the south. :o:D Lots of wackos out there.

Update:

Bomb explodes near Chitralada Palace

BANGKOK: -- Police stepped up security in the areas around Chitralada Palace after a small bomb exploded next to a public phone booth near it Saturday night.

A man who was using it at the time was slightly injured by broken glass.

Prapat Muangsongchan, 22, said he had noticed flames behind an electricity pole just before the bomb explode about 9:30 pm.

The phone booth is located on the corner of Rajvithi Road Soi 24.

Acting national police chief Pol Gen Seripisut Temiyavej, Metropolitan police chief Pol Lt Gen Adisorn Nonsee, his deputy Pol Maj Gen Krissada PhanKongchuen, and Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayothin rushed to the scene shortly after the explosion.

Adisorn said police set up road checkpoints around the palace on around-the-clock basis.

He said police dogs were also deployed to check the areas and government office around the palace.

He said the Metropolitan Police would hold a joint meeting with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and the First Army Area at 9:30 am Sunday.

Adisorn said police bomb experts found that the explosives used in the bomb did not have high destructive power so the bomb was not aimed to cause high damages or loss of lives.

He said the bomb had only explosives without shrapnel and it was detonated by a timing device.

"We believe it was an attempt to create disturbance," the metropolitan police chief said.

He said Prapat and a guard of the palace, who saw Prapat making the phone call, were the only two witnesses available but no one saw the person who put the bomb there.

First Army Area Commander Lt Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha said the military could not yet analyse the motives behind the explosion as more information was needed.

He said soldiers in plainclothes and in uniform had been deployed to help police keep security around Bangkok. But the number of deployed soldiers would be doubled following the latest explosion.

Apirak said the explosion was like the bombing at the Major Ratchayothin departmentstore.

"We hope the people will not be panicked because those behind the bomb only want to create situation," Apirak said.

He said the BMA, police and soldiers were cooperating in deploying officials to check risk areas all the time.

Apirak also called on the public to immediately alert officials once they notice some irregular things.

The Bangkok governor said he would convene a meeting of directors of all 50 Bangkok districts to order them to step security in the capital.

-- The Nation 2007-05-06

It doesn't matter if it was a firecracker (rather a big one) or a deathly bomb, the intention is what matters.

(We are still here and you can't protect all areas in Bangkok - close to the king !!!!! )

Some were angry about the media hype and might be partial right because if it won't been pushed up it won't create panic or missmood.

On the other hand it is good that the media pick it up, because if not it might beg for a real bomb in order to get attention.

About who did it please keep going ..... :o

When will it end? Just pray for best, look out for the worse. What can the government do to stop these attacks?? It goes without saying, It will hurt tourism for sure this time around. Maybe the power that be will listen to the people and comeup with some ideals to bring peace back to the south. :o:D Lots of wackos out there.

ohhhhh, the voice of doom! It's the end of the world as we know it. We had better all go and commit suicide. The bad guys have won. etc etc