Most "friendly" Honorary Consulates In U.s.

I'm about to go to America for a month to do some visiting and get a new Thai visa. I know that the honorary consulates are the most "helpful", but is one better than another? I'll mostly be in California, but, can I send my passport to whatever consulate I choose in the country?

I have a work permit and all the proper paperwork, but that doesn't guarantee anything in Penang. I just want to make sure that I get the visa that I need.

Does anyone have a consulate that they particularly recommend for the multiple entry Non-Immigrant B.?

I got mine in Chicago. No problems at all, got visa in 3 days ! Very nice and friendly people. We forgot to bring a copy of our marrage cert. and they said we could fax it over to them .

Good luck,

Jeff

I'll mostly be in California, but, can I send my passport to  whatever consulate I choose in the country?

As far as I know, you may mail your passport and application to any of the consulates in the States while you are there.

Since you'll be in California, the Thai consulate in Los Angeles (regular, not honorary) is known for being real sticklers about paperwork for a non-immigrant B. If it's not out of your way to drop by, you might want to give them a try if you think your paperwork is truly in order but don't be disappointed if they turn you down.

I'll mostly be in California, but, can I send my passport to whatever consulate I choose in the country?

by mail, houston is recommended since your paperwork is in order. it should be no problem and fed ex back to you in a few days.

why don't you get a permission to stay stamp over here as you have a work permit?

I asked my accountant about this a few weeks ago, but she adamantly advised against it.

When we first set up the business, a multiple entry was easy to get, so she did all the paperwork according to that. She says that we would have to change everything in order to get the one year visa, and it would lead to further problems down the road.

She's always been right up till now. :o

I can recommend the consulate in Dallas. Mr Forrest Smith (a lawyer in his sixties who does this on the side) is a very friendly individual. Our first visit there was a very friendly chat about life in general whereupon he asked: So what kind a visa can I get for 'ya Sir? Multiple entry non-im any good?" Well, heck yeah!!!

All the paperwork we had brought with photos etc weren't needed at all...

$50 in cash (no reciept was given though...hmmm....thai'ish)

/// DFW

Any Consulate in Texas, but Houston shines out by far.

dr. P.P,

I never see the Houston Consulate mentioned in any Immigration website. LA, Chicago and the Embassy in DC but never Houston?

Would make it easy for me as my company is based in Houston... :o

dr. P.P,

I never see the Houston Consulate mentioned in any Immigration website. LA, Chicago and the Embassy in DC but never Houston?

here is a list for the US...houston is listed under Royal Thai Consulates-General, (Honorary Consuls-General)

http://www.thaiembdc.org/directry/direc_e.htm

http://www.thaiembdc.org/index.htm

TEXAS (Dallas)

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE-GENERAL

3232 MCKINNEY AVENUE, SUITE 1400

DALLAS, TX 75204-2429

Tel : (214) 740-1498

Fax : (214) 740-1499

Honorary Consul-General, Mr. W. Forrest Smith

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TEXAS (El-Paso)

c/o LORI ANDRULIS

617 BEECHNUT ROAD

EL PASO, TX 79912

Tel : (915) 526-3503

Fax : -

E-mail : [email protected]

Honorary Consul-General, Ms. Mary Lee Leavell Pinkerton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TEXAS (Houston)

600 Travis, Ste. 2800

HOUSTON, TX 77002-3940

Tel : (713) 229-0636

Fax : (713) 228-1303

E-mail : [email protected]

Honorary Consul-General, Mr. Charles C. Foster

Regards /// DFW

I spoke to Lori Andrulis from the El Paso consulate on the phone once. We got to chatting, nice lady. I asked her if there were any Thais in the office, or at leat any Thai speakers; the answer was no. She went on to say that sometimes she got calls from Thai people, in Thai, and obviously in distress...she said she felt sorry for them but could nothing other than hang up the phone on them!

I spoke to Lori Andrulis from the El Paso consulate on the phone once.  We got to chatting, nice lady.  I asked her if there were any Thais in the office, or at leat any Thai speakers; the answer was no.  She went on to say that sometimes she got calls from Thai people, in Thai, and obviously in distress...she said she felt sorry for them but could nothing other than hang up the phone on them!

Probably most of the Hon's are just adding on to their normal activties (Lawyers etc) by doing this (for a small fee...).

No real incentive for them to hire a Thai to communicate with their visa-applicants.

Any services related to Thai nationals is directed to the Embassy and the other official Thai posts in the US.

/// DFW

Yes, I realize that. But inevitably they receive calls from Thai nationals who have gotten themselves into a jam or something, and have simply called their nearest consulate for help. Can you imagine getting in trouble in a foreign country, being directed to the nearest US, Brit, or whatever consulate, and not being able to get someone who even spoke English?

Regards /// DFW

Thanks a bunch, DFW. All this time I never knew they existed! Been going thru Chicago where service has been OK.

Can these honorary consulates issue the same visas like an O-A Retirement/Supporting Thai Wife?

Cheers,

Boon Mee

dr. P.P,

here is a list for the US...houston is listed under Royal Thai Consulates-General, (Honorary Consuls-General)

http://www.thaiembdc.org/directry/direc_e.htm

Thanks, huski. Appreciate the "heads-up".

BTW, how come you've been a stranger to the "Pit"!? :D

Thanks a bunch, DFW.  All this time I never knew they existed!  Been going thru Chicago where service has been OK.

Can these honorary consulates issue the same visas like an O-A Retirement/Supporting Thai Wife

Yes, they CAN issue O-A visas but it doesn't mean they WILL. I was residing in California and received mine from an out of state honorary consulate as have a couple of other guys with whom I've exchanged emails. Also know of a guy who was living outside Texas who was accomodated by the Houston consulate. :D

BUT, a would be applicant for an O-A to the Denver honorary consulate was told to use the Thai Embassy in D.C. He lived in a Denver suburb! :D

Or as that phrase goes: YMMV (your mileage may vary) :o

-redwood

BUT, a would be applicant for an O-A to the Denver honorary consulate was told to use the Thai Embassy in D.C. He lived in a Denver suburb!

But that visa class is not what is being asked about. :o

O-A is not something a Consulate can issue on its own so can understand his being referred to Washington in that case. I have not used in years but Denver always issued me O visa for marriage with no problem.

dr. P.P,

Royal Thai Consulate-General

2800 Texas Commerce Tower

Houston TX 7702-3094

Tel : (713) 229 8733

Regards /// DFW

Thanks a bunch, DFW. All this time I never knew they existed! Been going thru Chicago where service has been OK.

Can these honorary consulates issue the same visas like an O-A Retirement/Supporting Thai Wife?

Cheers,

Boon Mee

They can issue all classes of visa.

I can recommend the consulate in Dallas.  Mr Forrest Smith (a lawyer in his sixties who does this on the side) is a very friendly individual. Our first visit there was a very friendly chat about life in general whereupon he asked: So what kind a visa can I get for 'ya Sir? Multiple entry non-im any good?" Well, heck yeah!!!

I think these types of comments while insightful are counter productive. Farangs are not the only people reading this board and we might just spoil it for those abroad trying. A factual statement of the best places will ruffle less feathers.

By the Way, I got mine in Houston

Don't know about B, but Denver will issue an O (1 year multiple entry) no questions asked. Make an appointment or mail in your passport, pay the fee, and done in 2 minutes. If it is your first time, they will need some pictures.

The Denver consulate is in a commercial real estate office downtown. According to the receptionist who does the deed, the owner's friend is the honorary consulate in Boston(?) and got him the gig. None have every even been to Thailand.

You can't mail your passport in from overseas, but anywhere in the U.S. is OK.

• 6 years later...

The Dallas Thai consulate has moved and the phone number has changed. Please note the new address and phone numbe from the Secretary of State's website:

The Honorable W. Forrest Smith

Honorary Consul General of Thailand

1717 Main St., Suite 4100

Dallas, TX 75201

Telephone: (214) 934-0022

Unfortunately the fax number is still incorrect

Source: http://www.sos.state.tx.us/border/intlprotocol/embassies/thailand.shtml

Edited by SonOfCthulhu

The Dallas Thai consulate has moved and the phone number has changed...

Thank you for this information. Duly noted and added to on my Google Maps list: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=214923170432669428134.00046d314d9711f49a389&ll=32.781664,-96.796267&spn=0.001804,0.002411&t=h&z=19&iwloc=00049c56398e798c4de75

And welcome to ThaiVisa as a new member!

:welcomeani: