What happens if you are a foreigner?

jackdd

I think govt pays for test if you have to have one. If you have covid even if asymptomatic you'll be whisked away to hospital for an expensive stay, no doubt you will be milked being falang. 

I wonder if you will be allowed to say opt for a govt hospital like Bang Lamung or if they send you straight to the most expensive Bangkok Pattaya

Edited by scubascuba3

53 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Source: roojai.com

Sounds like they probably won't pay anything if you get tested or sent to a hospital if you don't have serious symptoms.

At least they will pay for the test.

23 hours ago, FlorC said:

Some good questions !

I wonder about it too.

I want to take the bus to Bangkok . They want your name when buying a ticket. What if someone next to me on the bus has it , and they trace me down . Who's paying for tests ? Do I need to go in quarantine , where ? Who's paying ?

What if I refuse .

yeah good one....  track you as you can PAYYYYYYYYYYYY and never mind the carrier...

On 11/30/2020 at 3:11 PM, jackdd said:

Currently this is just a theoretical scenario, but it could happen to any of us any day, so i was thinking about what would happen if:

Somebody with who you had close contact tests positive for Covid, could be your girlfriend, or maybe somebody who sat in a bus next to you, and the government considers you as "high risk".

- Are we forced to get tested for Covid?

- If we are forced, will the government pay for the test, or do they expect the foreigner to pay for a forced test?

The worst case scenario happens, we test positive.

- Does the government force us into a hospital?

- Can we choose the hospital?

- If we are forced, will the government pay for the stay in the hospital, or do they expect the foreigner to pay?

- What happens if the foreigner refuses to pay?

You will be made to take a test, and if positive go to hospital at your cost. It happened to a guy in our condo when he arrived back from France. We were lucky we weren't all tested, but he got sick on his first day back so hadn't mingled. hospital cost were 500,000 for two weeks

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, cormanr7 said:

I think it actually says that the coverage for covid treatment is limited to 50,000-100,000  Baht (depending on plan) which is not much (read further than the short claim for the two plans at the top of the website). The 1 million Baht is only for cases that end in a very serious condition.

What would you expect for a 850 Baht premium?  

You are correct.  Here is the exact wording (the "fine print") from Roojai's site:

• "**Any illnesses such as coma, brain and nervous system damage or disorders, terminal illness, and or death, as a direct result of the Coronavirus, determined by a physician. Maximum coverage 500,000 - 1,000,000 THB (depending on the plan)
    **Medical treatment from infections (Coronavirus (COVID-19)) both In-Patient-Department (IPD) and Out-Patient-Department (OPD) cases Maximum coverage for medical expenses 50,000 - 100,000 THB/year (depending on the plan)"
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, LarryLEB said:

You are correct.  Here is the exact wording (the "fine print") from Roojai's site:

• "**Any illnesses such as coma, brain and nervous system damage or disorders, terminal illness, and or death, as a direct result of the Coronavirus, determined by a physician. Maximum coverage 500,000 - 1,000,000 THB (depending on the plan)
    **Medical treatment from infections (Coronavirus (COVID-19)) both In-Patient-Department (IPD) and Out-Patient-Department (OPD) cases Maximum coverage for medical expenses 50,000 - 100,000 THB/year (depending on the plan)"

That’s 2-3 nights in a decent hospital ????. Anything happens you will be getting a bill for everything if you don’t have some form of health insurance. This is why a lot of people who are using the extensions to stay thinking it’s great as it’s like a extended holiday from their original visa will be in trouble if they become sick. The first thing would be they would get tested for Covid and probably kept under surveillance for a few days in hospital even if they had a sickness hardly similar to Covid . I know a lot of people renewing visas like this and none have insurance. 

5 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

Yes, you will be forced to get a test

No, the government will not pay it for you. You pay it. 

If positive,  yes, you are forced to stay in hospital. 

No, you cannot choose the hospital. 

No, the government will not pay the hospital. You pay. 

People with your attitude are a reason why the government is so reluctant to let foreigners back in, insists on ASQ and all kinds of health insurances. 

in other words he's screwed both ways  1st because he get the virus and 2nd because he has to pay for all expenses, tough life 555

6 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

Yes, you will be forced to get a test

No, the government will not pay it for you. You pay it. 

If positive,  yes, you are forced to stay in hospital. 

No, you cannot choose the hospital. 

No, the government will not pay the hospital. You pay. 

People with your attitude are a reason why the government is so reluctant to let foreigners back in, insists on ASQ and all kinds of health insurances. 

Nonsense, if you are evidently one of the person of contact tracing group the government pays for all of your expenses.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

FYI  from what I have read about ALL the Thai insurance companys that provide the covid insurance, it specifically says that the coverage does not include ICU stay.  Unless you have a rough time then you

probably won't stay in the ICU.  The cost for the ICU is the reason they want visa applicants to pay for 100,000 USD coverage for treatment of the virus.  

• Thanks 1

Saw people buying lottery tickets this morning.....this is the day...

one turns to me and smiles, "you are lucky you have money already."

I was walking with an old bag, second-hand everything,  but a nice watch.  

farangs are always rich.......if you paid for a plane ticket, you are rich enough.  

you will pay for everything......

it is true that I think having a million in a Thai bank account doesn't make you rich.

but it's all relative, so i just smile and go along....  If I had a Thai passport, maybe I would think differently.  But back home, 1 million baht is going to evaporate...  

On 11/30/2020 at 3:11 PM, jackdd said:

Currently this is just a theoretical scenario, but it could happen to any of us any day, so i was thinking about what would happen if:

Somebody with who you had close contact tests positive for Covid, could be your girlfriend, or maybe somebody who sat in a bus next to you, and the government considers you as "high risk".

- Are we forced to get tested for Covid?

- If we are forced, will the government pay for the test, or do they expect the foreigner to pay for a forced test?

The worst case scenario happens, we test positive.

- Does the government force us into a hospital?

- Can we choose the hospital?

- If we are forced, will the government pay for the stay in the hospital, or do they expect the foreigner to pay?

- What happens if the foreigner refuses to pay?

What do you think the 100k USD insurance is for ?

23 minutes ago, dougiemac52 said:

What do you think the 100k USD insurance is for ?

This insurance is only required for entry into Thailand, not for extensions, so i would say the 100k insurance is for people who catch Covid before entering Thailand and then have to get this "foreign" virus treated in Thailand.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LarryLEB said:

It's actually not a bad deal for 850 baht/year. Insurers are not idiots, they are betting on Thailand keeping COVID under control. And I was pleased to sign up at age 77, thought I would be rejected automatically.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Apparently not, I was able to get a policy at age 77.

A slightly different situation. I was able to get travel insurance after my 85th but at 86 no way. And who can blame them despite me having no medical problems, so far. 

48 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Is there an age limit?

No, I'm 73, I signed up online in about 3-4 minutes. My coverage starts tomorrow however I can't make a claim for 14 days...not that I want to make a bloody claim...lol

Edited by TSF

13 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

A slightly different situation. I was able to get travel insurance after my 85th but at 86 no way. And who can blame them despite me having no medical problems, so far. 

I think by age 86 if I'm still around I'd be hanging up my traveling shoes and giving my suitcase to St. Vinnies.????

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, cucme said:

At least they will pay for the test.

That's what I was thinking. I've heard stories of farang getting charged several thousand bt for covid tests, so at the very least, if I'm ever ordered to take a test due to me being a close contact, then this 850 Bt policy is going to save me some dosh.

29 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I'd suggest you don't need insurance, obviously even someone with an axe could not kill you.