Internet Access In View Talay 2

tt61

I don't have a phone line in my condo in VT2 in Jomtien, nor do I plan to get one, as I think my cell phone is enough for the few phone calls I make. I do need internet access, however. My question: is it possible to get wireless access from this building (subscribing to a public wireless internet access provider etc.)? If not I suppose the only option is to use the cyber cafe...

Also does anyone know if in Thailand it is necessary to have an active phone subscription in order to subscribe to an ADSL connection? What I mean is that in many western countries it is sufficient to have the phone wires and the plug since ADSL does not require an active phone connection (only the appropriate ADSL equipment installed in the exchange).

Cheers

Yes, you need a phone line here to get ADSL. TiT.

Your best guess is to turn on your PC and see if you pick up any wifi signal. If you do, you can try to track down the owner of the access point and see if you can make a deal with him about sharing his access.

I don't have a phone line in my condo in VT2 in Jomtien, nor do I plan to get one, as I think my cell phone is enough for the few phone calls I make. I do need internet access, however. My question: is it possible to get wireless access from this building (subscribing to a public wireless internet access provider etc.)? If not I suppose the only option is to use the cyber cafe...

Also does anyone know if in Thailand it is necessary to have an active phone subscription in order to subscribe to an ADSL connection? What I mean is that in many western countries it is sufficient to have the phone wires and the plug since ADSL does not require an active phone connection (only the appropriate ADSL equipment installed in the exchange).

Cheers

Last year I was looking at some appartments in the View Talay buildings and upon inquiring about Internet access was told that an in-house wireless service was available.

Cheers

will a 107 Baht monthly fee for a phone line bust your budget? :o

when i am back in view talay 2, i use a pc data card with thai sim card i use ais internet option it is ok for what we need i.e emails and searching internet. it is probably cheaper getting the phone line and the package rather than buying a pc data card. what about connecting your cell phone to your computer and getting a thai sim and the package.

they sometimes advertise internet packages at the reception, i haven't heard of any other connection.

chez

Hutch offers a card for about 5,000 that plugs into your computer and for about 900 / month, you have internet connection through it just like a cell phone, but it might work on the antennaes or satellites--I don't know which.

YOU HAVE TO SIT NEAR A WINDOW TO USE IT. A friend of mine increase his download by 300% by moving to the window from inside the middle of his house.

Good luck.

I heard something about Sophon beginning to offer cable internet. Has anyone else heard about this?

Sophon will indeed start an internet service, but this is still a couple of months away.

They are currently upgrading their cabling to a HCF network (hybrid coax-fiber), with the first area to be finished being Siam Country club road, East of Sukhumvit.

There the system will be trialled, and when they manage to get that working properly they will roll out all over their service area!