Thailand to remain closed to mass tourism until March, travel bubble discussions ongoing

rooster59

Just now, mjakob007 said:
8 hours ago, sweetserenity said:

Until march? The vaccines are already being given to the western world.. Why can't they just allow vaccinated tourists to enter?

Read some news about Pfizer concerns about possibility of vaccinated people infecting others, while they remain safe.

There may not be bullet proof solution yet..

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

What a completely ridiculous thing to say... of course getting the entire Thailand population vaccinated *will* make the problem go away, that is the whole point. Vaccines work and they prevent disease getting a foothold at anything over 60% efficacy

This forum sometimes...

Indeed, some make some utterly ridiculous posts don't they.

The vaccine being purchased by theThailand Government does NOT have a 100% efficacy rate (as you point out) so the problem will NOT go away as you claim..or do you not give a hoot about those potential 40% of the population (26.8 million)  being infected.

This forum sometimes...

Edited by Techno Viking
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

'Mass tourism' probably enabled you and many other posters that live here, to come to Thailand in the first place.

Mass tourism enables cheap flights and accomodation. It helps to build the infrastructure that enables people to move around the country more easily.

Of course, those who came here earlier do not want to share paradise with the masses.

It was the same when I first came to Thailand (except I drove here). I built a house in the middle of nowhere and told my friends about this geat place that I had found. They told their friends, who told their friends and before you  know it, I am surrounded by more 100 houses. But at least I now have concrete road access, and reliable water and electricity supplies. There are even supermarkets now where I can buy decent bread! ????

It is called progress. The world changes.

Agree, all things must change. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

It does not matter if it is not 100% efficient, that's not how vaccines work. They work because herd immunity is reached so stopping transmission of any disease through any given population. 

Personally I'd prefer they keep the borders shut, Ive no desire to be part of a herd.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sweetserenity said:

Until march? The vaccines are already being given to the western world.. Why can't they just allow vaccinated tourists to enter?

Why ?? The vaccine is not proven to work. is it ?  It is not being given out in large numbers yet, It is a logistical nightmare to transport and keep it at -80c.   So realistically nobody actually knows if it will work. No way will I be getting it !   So who is in a hurry to go to Thailand ?  

• Like 1

Much as I want to get back to the wife and daughter from the UK, I'm ok to wait to March if needs be.

Since the Uk wont really roll out the vaccine in mass to the public  until Feb/March anyway Thailand announcing March hardly dents any plans in my opinion. (Yes, I know they are giving it in mass to oldies and nurses now, but I doubt 100 year olds and nurses are about to hop on a plane in mass !)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Excellent news. Mass tourism has spoilt Thailand's beauty, and I hope it's gone for good.

I agree with your assessment of the detriments of allowing any fool with a ticket to easily enter and run rampant. I personally have known beautiful locales throughout the world totally ruined by ignorant drunken fools, thankfully I experienced many prior to being ruined forever. Unfortunately greed tends to win out everywhere and I doubt it will be any different here though perhaps they can slow the decay by raising the standards for entry.  I also hope they don't open the doors till March 2022 when we'll know a lot more on the long term efficacy of these vaccines..

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Techno Viking said:

Indeed, some make some utterly ridiculous posts don't they.

The vaccine being purchased by theThailand Government does NOT have a 100% efficacy rate (as you point out) so the problem will NOT go away as you claim..or do you not give a hoot about those potential 40% of the population (26.8 million)  being infected.

This forum sometimes...

AZ vaccine 90% efficacy.

This is a more realistic announcement and hope they work through the details for it to happen.

Travel bubbles with safe countries makes sense and should enable more people to get back to Thailand in March/April then increase from there.

The vaccines will make a huge psychological difference for conservative Thais and expats.

As a retired Aussie property owner in Thailand, I hope to be able to return after vaccination and no quarantine in March or April.

Edited by Donga
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Much as I want to get back to the wife and daughter from the UK, I'm ok to wait to March if needs be.

Since the Uk wont really roll out the vaccine in mass to the public  until Feb/March anyway Thailand announcing March hardly dents any plans in my opinion. (Yes, I know they are giving it in mass to oldies and nurses now, but I doubt 100 year olds and nurses are about to hop on a plane in mass !)

As more coin making opportunities arise what March year would you like it to be???? 

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

These include business people such as technical experts, high level workers and those in the medical field, foreigners who are married to or a parent of a Thai national, property owners, retiree visa holders, Elite Card holders and those who enter Thailand under the Special Tourist Visa scheme - all of which have to undergo mandatory 14 day quarantine.

To the best of my knowledge, that statement is not true. I believe the 60 day tourist visa is now available again, in which case Thailand is now open again to anyone who is prepared to comply with the conditions such as quarantine, insurance etc.

I would have thought the Tourism Minister would be aware on the entry requirements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1