Thailand to remain closed to mass tourism until March, travel bubble discussions ongoing

rooster59

6 minutes ago, sitti said:

Because the value western currencies are dropping. Tell them to stop printing money. 

When US releases next stimulus, dollar will drop even lower, that naturally boosts baht higher.

GBP has done OK against baht in recent months. The Euro has gone from strength to strength this year. Problem seems to be mainly with USD.

Edited by polpott

On 12/6/2020 at 8:58 AM, Tropicalevo said:

'Mass tourism' probably enabled you and many other posters that live here, to come to Thailand in the first place.

Mass tourism enables cheap flights and accomodation. It helps to build the infrastructure that enables people to move around the country more easily.

Of course, those who came here earlier do not want to share paradise with the masses.

It was the same when I first came to Thailand (except I drove here). I built a house in the middle of nowhere and told my friends about this geat place that I had found. They told their friends, who told their friends and before you  know it, I am surrounded by more 100 houses. But at least I now have concrete road access, and reliable water and electricity supplies. There are even supermarkets now where I can buy decent bread! ????

It is called progress. The world changes.

Tropicalevo - couldn't have said it better myself. All those keyboard warriors bashing the so-called mass tourists, have either been one of them themselves and/or have profited from it to secure their life here as an expat with an INCOME. Let's face it 90% of the people are too dumb to add 1+1 and think farther than from where they stand to the TV, fridge and the local supermarket - and THAT includes foreigners!!!

Edited by Freigeist365

Given the facts, all tourism-related businesses men in TH who either have loans and mortgages on their properties / boats / buses, you name it, and those paying exorbitant rent in "Location, location!!!" areas will go belly up within the next quarter. 

Little side note as food for thought...

Within my circle of Thai and Expat friends and family in 2020
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corona cases, infected and/or deaths = 0
Suicides = 2

Wake up, people!!!!

Edited by Freigeist365
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, polpott said:

I would assume so, not being a racist country, the UK doesn't tend to differentiate between its own citizens and others.

lol actually that's what immigration laws are there for, differentiate between its own citizens and foreigners.

You actually got me excited for a moment there since I have been looking for places to go on holiday vacation but already given up for this year. I just checked UK immigration site again, US citizens are still under restriction and i have to isolate myself for 14 days????

Edited by sitti
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

Unemployment Benefits from Social Security Organisation

Criteria and Entitlement Benefits have made contributions towards unemployment for not less than 6 months within a period of 15 months prior to unemployment

Terms and conditions giving rise to the entitlement:

• Must apply for registration of the unemployed at the State Unemployment Office within 30 days without having to wait for the Unemployment Certificate from the Employer as to declare the entitlement tentatively.
  • Is capable of performing the work and is ready to take on suitable job as offered.
  • Must not reject the job training.
  • Must report to the Employment Office for not less than 1 time per month.
  • The unemployed must not be terminated from employment thanks to:
  1. Dishonest on duty
  2. Commission of criminal offense to the detriment of the employer
  3. Serious infringement upon working rules, or regulation or lawful working order
  4. Abandoning the duty for 7 days consecutively without good reasons
  5. Recklessness which causes serious harms to the Employer
  6. Having been sentenced to imprisonment by Court judgment.
  • Must not be the person entitled to old age benefit.
  • Shall be entitled to receiving the benefit starting from the 8th day from the date of unemployment with the last employer.
  • Is not a voluntary insured under Section 39.

The Entitlement Benefits you shall receive:

In case of termination of employment:

• Unemployment benefit for not more 180 days per year at the rate of 50 % of the wage calculated on the basis of maximum contributions of 15,000 Baht.

Unemployment          In case of resignation:

• Unemployment benefit for not more than 90 days per year at the rate of 30 percent of the wage calculated on the basis of maximum amount of contributions but not more than 15,000 Baht shall be payable. If in the duration of 1 year, there was more than 1 application for the unemployment benefit, the counting of the unemployment benefit receiving period in total shall not exceed 180 days; the compensation benefit for loss of income shall be paid on monthly installment basis by crediting to the Bank Account as notified by the Insured.

Source : www.sso.go.th

I would think that the above benefits are paid to those who are officially employed i.e. they pay taxes etc and they must be in the minority of employed Thai workers . Majority of Thai workers seem to be employed on a casual basis and often paid daily cash in hand and thus receive no benefits . I think it is generally accepted that there is no safety net or social security in Thailand .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sitti said:

lol actually that's what immigration laws are there for, differentiate between its own citizens and foreigners.

You actually got me excited a moment there since I have been looking for places to go on holiday vacation but already given up for this year. I just checked UK immigration site again, US citizens are still under restriction and i have to isolate myself for 14 days????

Check again.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors#countries-territories-and-regions-on-the-travel-corridor-list

"You do not need to self-isolate if you’re travelling to England from one of the countries, territories or regions listed on this page. You must have spent the last 14 days in one of these places, or in the UK."

Thailand is on the list.

Applies to all visitors, not just UK citizens.

Edited by polpott

21 hours ago, cdemundo said:

"As for the US... well... even if they do get it rolled out, they have never been a significant factor in Thai tourism."

2019 Arrivals in Thailand by nationality:

USA    1,167,845

UK         994,018

From wikipedia article "Tourism in Thailand" referencing Thailand arrivals from various nations:

Wikipedia references as source:   "สถิติด้านการท่องเที่ยว ปี 2562 (Tourism Statistics 2019)". Ministry of Tourism & Sports. Retrieved 23 January 2020.

Placing US and UK tourist numbers in proper context when considering their contribution to Thailand's tourist receipts:

USA: 8th place.

UK: 12th place.

Combined, they are still only in 4th place with less than 10% of the volume of the two leading international tourist sources combined.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#International_rankings

Reference: statistics for the period 1998–2016, 2017–2018.

It's called 'a hill of beans'.

12 hours ago, the green light said:

Don't worry bout the unemployed

Here is how they can get a new job:

1. the good looking girls pseudo young ( less than 35yr).. will go ahead and work the massage parlor.. there are a lot of customers...a good money.. so what is wrong to share he beauty with other men. 

2. the man can either sell noodle soup of run around with fruit cart.

or become motorcycle driver.. always a market for cheap food,

3. the ugly women can wait for soi cowboy to open or moonlight on the street.

4. last ...go home and become a rice farmer.

there is no such thing as unemployed in thailand.. it depends on your choices of work.

You make some pretty bold assumptions about Thai women. As far as rice gathering is concerned I know families who have been told...to many already 

19 minutes ago, polpott said:

Check again.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors#countries-territories-and-regions-on-the-travel-corridor-list

"You do not need to self-isolate if you’re travelling to England from one of the countries, territories or regions listed on this page. You must have spent the last 14 days in one of these places, or in the UK."

Thailand is on the list.

Applies to all visitors, not just UK citizens.

Thanks, but unfortunately I already returned to California for Thanksgiving and Xmas to be with my whole family. Ideally, I wanted to go on my own vacation as well after Xmas, but this year I don't get to have both. I'm scheduled to return to Thailand after new year and a luxury jail for 14 days. At this point, since I'm already in the US, I can't go anywhere without a quarantine.

Edited by sitti
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sitti said:

Because the value western currencies are dropping. Tell them to stop printing money. 

When US releases next stimulus, dollar will drop even lower, that naturally boosts baht higher.

Look at the big picture.  In USA and other countries, COVID-19 hit them by surprise, thanks to CCP and WHO.  In response, to shuttered businesses and mandatory lockdowns, they had to inject stimulus $$ to keep the worlds biggest economy from complete economic failure. The Fed did what it had to do.  So is this America’s fault?  I don’t think so.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Placing US and UK tourist numbers in proper context when considering their contribution to Thailand's tourist receipts:

USA: 8th place.

UK: 12th place.

Combined, they are still only in 4th place with less than 10% of the volume of the two leading international tourist sources combined.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#International_rankings

Reference: statistics for the period 1998–2016, 2017–2018.

It's called 'a hill of beans'.

Oh, my mistake.  I thought you were comparing the UK and the USA.  I don't know how I got that idea.  

Just now, Isaan sailor said:

Look at the big picture.  In USA and other countries, COVID-19 hit them by surprise, thanks to CCP and WHO.  In response, to shuttered businesses and mandatory lockdowns, they had to inject stimulus $$ to keep the worlds biggest economy from complete economic failure. The Fed did what it had to do.  So is this America’s fault?  I don’t think so.

Furthermore, in USA they have aggressive testing of the general public.  Compare that with say, India—who report fewer COVID cases, despite having a billion people, most living in very close proximity. Who can believe they aggressively test in India?

The upshot here, world view sees America out of control (it’s not) while the rest of the world has it under control (it doesn’t).  And so, the Baht rises while the USD sinks (unfair).

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sitti said:

Thanks, but unfortunately I already returned to California for Thanksgiving and Xmas to be with my whole family. Ideally, I wanted to go on my own vacation as well after Xmas, but this year I don't get to have both. I'm scheduled to return to Thailand after new year and a luxury jail for 14 days. At this point, since I'm already in the US, I can't go anywhere without a quarantine.

Same applies to any country. I need to return to the UK. Not a problem getting there, its returning to Thailand that's the problem. 15 days in a hotel isn't for me.

40 minutes ago, polpott said:

Same applies to any country. I need to return to the UK. Not a problem getting there, its returning to Thailand that's the problem. 15 days in a hotel isn't for me.

Oh well, nothing I can do now. From US to UK, I'll need to self-isolate for 14 days. At first I actually considered flying to UK from Thailand for quick solo-vacation before returning to the US. That way I could have avoided self-isolation. But UK was under lockdown. oh well

I hope Japan opens it's border to tourists soon. That's the country I really want to visit the most. They are also not planning on letting foreign tourists in until at least April 2021 arggg????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Furthermore, in USA they have aggressive testing of the general public.  Compare that with say, India—who report fewer COVID cases, despite having a billion people, most living in very close proximity. Who can believe they aggressively test in India?

The upshot here, world view sees America out of control (it’s not) while the rest of the world has it under control (it doesn’t).  And so, the Baht rises while the USD sinks (unfair).

It is what it is. That's the impact of injecting stimulus. When you print billions or trillions of dollars and dump it into the market, it devalues the currency. Retail investors and investment banks will respond accordingly. It's not Thailand's fault that Baht is strong. Thailand isn't printing or manipulating its currency in any way. They prefers weaker baht for their exports. They are actually planning on intervening if baht gets much stronger than it is.

Another impact of stimulus is SP500 and Nasdaq are all time high. All the big boys in wallstreet and corporate executives are benefiting from it the most. When next stimulus hits, dollar tanks deeper and stocks rally to new high, and some people will be very very happy. By correlation, Baht will get even stronger again.

Edited by sitti
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DefaultName said:

I see lots of posts wanting vaccinated people to enter.

Question for someone medical; a vaccine is intended to stop you getting the virus, does it stop you carrying it and giving it to others?

Vaccine is for preventing infection. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, polpott said:

Many in the younger group were given double dose.

True, in that the large group who received the higher dose consisted of ages representative of the general population. So yes, young persons were included in the high dose/age representative group which achieved 60% efficacy. 

AZ's problem is that the smaller group who received the lower dose was younger than the general population. No one from the most COVID-19 vulnerable 55+ age group was included in the low dose group, and only the younger/low dose group achieved 90% efficacy. 

Result not age related.

That's speculation which is not backed up by evidence until a new trail is conducted with the lower dose regimen administered to a group representative of the general population. 

AZ results will be published in the lancet for peer review at the appropriate time. I suggest that you wait for that rather than second guess leaked results.

My original post on the subject was to dispute your assertion;  "AZ vaccine 90% efficacy". AZ themselves are estimating efficacy of approximately 70%. You need to follow your own advice as above.

And why does all this matter? Because Thailand is going with the less proven, potentially less effective vaccine which will be certified later than its rivals.

But it's cheap...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/25/business/coronavirus-vaccine-astrazeneca-oxford.html

3 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

the UK wil be issuing covid jab vouchers from the NHS which will be easy to forge so swampy guys wont know which are genuine or fakes ,fake NHS vouchers will be a big market for forgers

have you actually got a link to this nonsense?

7 hours ago, sitti said:

UK is also requiring visitors from many countries, includes Thailand, to be quarantined for 14 days. Why members here think they can one sidedly demand Thailand to open its border to them is beyond me. If Thailand is going to open its border to UK citizen under current condition, there has to be a bilateral agreement between the two nations. 

You are a bit out of date there - that changed in September - a week after my wife completed her UK quarantine.

7 hours ago, sitti said:

You actually got me excited for a moment there since I have been looking for places to go on holiday vacation but already given up for this year. I just checked UK immigration site again, US citizens are still under restriction and i have to isolate myself for 14 days

Incorrect again - from the UK Gov website.

'You do not need to self-isolate if you’re travelling to England from one of the countries, territories or regions listed on this page. You must have spent the last 14 days in one of these places, or in the UK.'

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors

Thailand is on the list as you will see.

Where do you get your information from?

When you search for immigration or travel information about any country, check the URL of the sites you are taken to.  Google takes you to whichever site pays them the most - not the one with the most accurate information - some of those sites look amazingly official.

In the case of the UK .gov.uk signifies an official government site.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2020 at 3:39 PM, 3NUMBAS said:

how will the guys at swampy cope with all the fake certificates ??surely they will make certs illegal ?

Unless visa exemptions and VOA are reintroduced, they won't have to.

If every foreigner continues to need a visa, it will be the embassy / consulate staff who will have to ascertain certificate validity before they even issue a visa.

Edited by VBF