ID for domestic flights

1 hour ago, chuang said:

No, are you a thai citizen..

A thai has his/her ID for identification..

In case you lose your PP...get a new one..You can also lose your life if you go anywhere..no new life...

No not Th National, PR therefor I have ID card.... even before that never carried PP and never got checked in over 20 years.... Correct you cannot get a new life.. It's almost the same as getting rid of stupidity... impossible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

How does the hotel complete check-in of a foreigner without the relevant details ?

You may have presented a pink card and the hotel skipped the check-in and immigration reporting requirements, but they are not checking you in legally, they dont have the required information for TM30, visa type, arrival card number, date of entry etc, all of this information comes from your passport and a foreigner cant be legally checked in without the information.

If a hotel doesnt check you in and report to immigration, they are doing so illegally.

They are checking him in ' legally' as he has a TH/Farang ID Card and is therefor registered at IO..... 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I forgot my passport recently and checking into a hotel it caused a problem. Fortunately a copy is on my phone which I could email them. My personal experience...

Always asked for it, so carry it. It is not a problem until it is.....

Not really sure what point you’re trying to make in relation to my checking in with a pink card.

1 minute ago, Fairynuff said:

Not really sure what point you’re trying to make in relation to my checking in with a pink card.

Just seems handy to have your passport with you while traveling around in Thailand. 

34 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I forgot my passport recently and checking into a hotel it caused a problem. Fortunately a copy is on my phone which I could email them. My personal experience...

Always asked for it, so carry it. It is not a problem until it is.....

A hotel will always ask for your passport first because it’s what they expect you to have. When I’m asked for my passport I just present my card. Not once has anyone ever denied my card.

Just now, Fairynuff said:

A hotel will always ask for your passport first because it’s what they expect you to have. When I’m asked for my passport I just present my card. Not once has anyone ever denied my card.

Yeah, never had my passport denied either.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Just curious why you would travel without a passport, even domestically. It would be needed at any hotel you stay at, and it is a legal requirement that you be able to produce at least a photocopy of it at any time. Why is that so difficult, instead of being delayed by security while they go and look up their rule book or just want to be bloody-minded? I'm not being argumentative, just wondering why you don't want to produce it.

Speed reading again Barry? As the OP has already offered:

On 12/7/2020 at 9:18 AM, guru said:

... Just wanted to know in case one day I was in a pickle at the airport without my drivers license or passport. 

Or in my instance, my passport was at an embassy in Bangkok and I needed to fly back down to collect it.

FWIW, about three years ago Thai Smile accepted my alien's ID card at Udon Thani to cjeck-in on an online ticket purchase using my name in English.

YMMV.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

How does the hotel complete check-in of a foreigner without the relevant details ?

You may have presented a pink card and the hotel skipped the check-in and immigration reporting requirements, but they are not checking you in legally, they dont have the required information for TM30, visa type, arrival card number, date of entry etc, all of this information comes from your passport and a foreigner cant be legally checked in without the information.

If a hotel doesnt check you in and report to immigration, they are doing so illegally.

There's a small hotel round the corner from my home in Bahn Nawk. If I get bent out of shape on the turps, rather than go home rat-arsed and face the ire of the better half, I stagger in and grab a 500 baht room, sleep it off and go home the following morning. They never ask for my passport so they don't tell the government. The bonus is they don't tell my missus either.

I dont always carry it in my day to day business, a copy on the phone or the DL seems to usually suffice. I have however been warned at a military run checkpoint on Highway 317 that their commander insists on them seeing the passport itself, and if he was there they would not let me through. It is a border province, they have guns. I still dont carry it there because if they do stop me it is close enough to home to get someone to run it down, but if I am going a lengthy distance or overnight I will carry it, why have a hassle?

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

There's a small hotel round the corner from my home in Bahn Nawk. If I get bent out of shape on the turps, rather than go home rat-arsed and face the ire of the better half, I stagger in and grab a 500 baht room, sleep it off and go home the following morning. They never ask for my passport so they don't tell the government. The bonus is they don't tell my missus either.

Absolutely correct, when I was still living in Bkk I used to go to some of the ' strange' dormers.;e.g. Soi 3, Where you enter a parking lot with all different lots and curtains , behind which you enter a room.... No ID or PP requested. 555555

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You're wrong. But even if it isn't the law there are many, many reports of police demanding it from people in the centre of Bangkok. Uniforms can do whatever they want, with little or no comeback.

And what do you do with all your ' wisdom ' when your PP is at IO or lost / stolen... 

1 hour ago, jomtienisgood said:

They are checking him in ' legally' as he has a TH/Farang ID Card and is therefor registered at IO..... 

How are they completing a TM30 at the hotel ??

Pink ID card has nothing to do with IO, it doesnt "register" you at the IO

I have a Pink ID card, immigration knows nothing about it, they are not issued by immigration.

Edited by Peterw42

47 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, I have done the same. They are just not checking you in, there is no record you were ever there.

1 hour ago, jomtienisgood said:

Not correct info that you are giving....

It is correct information, a TM30 cannot be completed without information from passport.

A foreigner checking into a hotels requires a TM30 and there is no information on a pink ID to complete a TM30. Pink ID doesn't even have your name in English.

People are confusing a hotel that doesn't actually check you in, just collects your money and gives you the keys.

They are letting you stay, not legally checking you in and reporting to immigration etc, they would probably just as readily let you stay showing a gym membership card, or no ID at all

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

Do you always carry your PP in your home-country?? Don't you have any other way of identifying yourself wherever you come from???

What happens in case you lose your PP or worse it gets stolen??

When driving a car we in Aus carry a drivers licence when flying a Passport  .

If you lose or your Passport get stolen /Misplaced  you get a new one ,no probs.

13 minutes ago, digger70 said:

When driving a car we in Aus carry a drivers licence when flying a Passport  .

If you lose or your Passport get stolen /Misplaced  you get a new one ,no probs.

No problem but what do you do in the meantime while not replaced yet??

22 hours ago, digger70 said:

Just be a Normal person and use your Passport .

Quite. I honestly don't understand why some people just want to make life hard for themselves, like the jerks we still occasionally get that want to check into our hotel with their driver's license. Just use your damn passport, you're supposed to carry it by law anyway.

Edited by NilSS

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

People are confusing a hotel that doesn't actually check you in, just collects your money and gives you the keys.

They are letting you stay, not legally checking you in and reporting to immigration etc, they would probably just as readily let you stay showing a gym membership card, or no ID at all

Hotels that allow you to stay without passport are unlicensed. As we are a licensed hotel, I'll list some of the things we have to comply with to obtain, and maintain our license. . . Security cameras must be install in all public areas, fire extinguishing equipment installed and checked every 3 months, registering and reporting of all guests according to law, display our rack rates at the reception counter, the list goes on and on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

No problem but what do you do in the meantime while not replaced yet??

It only takes 5 days to replace/Renew  a Passport  in Aus . It's also Very Handy if you have a Copy of the Pages from your Passport ,,,,Just in case you lose it ,Yes.