Working With NON-NES / Filipinos

This is completely objective and based on experiences. After teaching for some years now and it is something I really enjoy, I find myself wanting more people to realize all aspects of working environments  while teaching here. (Not just from some long time seasoned falang who has worn their shoes for too long) This includes the interactions and objective views particularly with NON-NES / Filipinos while working alongside Thai people in Thai schools.

After reading & talking about it, there seems to be a general common view but of course there are always positives to focus on as well.

I find NON-NES particularly, Filipinos to be very negative and continually 'stirring the pot' sort of speak all the while being quite petty people. It's like they can't simply go to work and be done. They seem be a cult like group and have serious issues if one does not wish to 'chat them up' enough. Never talk about personal opinions or anything negative as they will go straight to a Thai to tell them all. Lastly, as we know given they are not NES, they must be more subservient and fall in line more but this includes the atmosphere of the school such as how rough they handle the students or how they slam chairs and books down. If Thais do it, they will also, including being rough with the students.

Frankly, and I'd never thought I'd say this but I really detest working Filipinos given the lowbrow and 'high school' type character that seems to be apparent in just about most of them.

Did I mention some of them really take it to heart NES get more money then they do? Bounce off! It is not my problem! ????????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Solinvictus said:

This is completely objective and based on experiences. After teaching for some years now and it is something I really enjoy, I find myself wanting more people to realize all aspects of working environments  while teaching here. (Not just from some long time seasoned falang who has worn their shoes for too long) This includes the interactions and objective views particularly with NON-NES / Filipinos while working alongside Thai people in Thai schools.

After reading & talking about it, there seems to be a general common view but of course there are always positives to focus on as well.

I find NON-NES particularly, Filipinos to be very negative and continually 'stirring the pot' sort of speak all the while being quite petty people. It's like they can't simply go to work and be done. They seem be a cult like group and have serious issues if one does not wish to 'chat them up' enough. Never talk about personal opinions or anything negative as they will go straight to a Thai to tell them all. Lastly, as we know given they are not NES, they must be more subservient and fall in line more but this includes the atmosphere of the school such as how rough they handle the students or how they slam chairs and books down. If Thais do it, they will also, including being rough with the students.

Frankly, and I'd never thought I'd say this but I really detest working Filipinos given the lowbrow and 'high school' type character that seems to be apparent in just about most of them.

Did I mention some of them really take it to heart NES get more money then they do? Bounce off! It is not my problem! ????????

I only had experience working with them at a large Catholic international school. Because of their religion they do seem to get intrenched in the school and work their way paitently into higher positions, then hire more Phillipino family members.They form sort of  Phillipino marfia. Some were Nice, some were not nice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Solinvictus said:

Did you really find it necessary to denigrate an entire race because you can't seem to get along with them ?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Solinvictus said:

Never talk about personal opinions or anything negative as they will go straight to a Thai to tell them all

Haha. The gossip. A proud Philippine tradition. I have friends who've worked in their country, in other industries, who've attested to this. Watch what you say, especially about others. But that goes for anyone really.

That said, I've had other Philippine coworkers who were wonderful. When starting at new schools, they showed me the ropes, what to do or not, who to avoid, and did favours for me. Dedicated family members, sending money home, or supporting those who they've brought here.

Quite a few have had better attitudes than the Westerners, much more positive, I believe as their culture better aligns with the Thais' "sabai sabai", than the Westerners who by far are more prone to complain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last two schools no Filipinos. I'm the happier for it. Some of the women are good with children assuming they are not sleeping in the corner (yes, witnessed that). The men are a toss up, don't much care for the attitude in Philippines either.

The sniping, backstabbing is collectively pointed at those with "white skin". 

I'd say about ten percent were ok which is about the same percentage of competent farang I find at any given school generally speaking.

• Like 2