Prescription for glasses

fangless

This is an informative thread. I had never heard of Zinni before but I am going to try them. BTW I stopped at McCormick Hospital yesterday thinking I would use their eye center to get my prescription. However they do not provide that service. I'll try CM Ram next i guess.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, moontang said:

For starters, the shops in CM carry few frames that have a nose bridge big enough for a farang.... Been a zenni customer since 2006.  Delivery to LOS was efficient.. about 12 days to CM.  Get on their mailing list and there are a few promos.  My next order will include a pair of their new prescription safety glasses.. 

Would you mind saying where do you get your prescription from and how much?

Edited by fangless

On 12/8/2020 at 8:58 AM, fangless said:

This question has been asked previously in an archived thread but received no answers. Does anyone know the answer(s)?

Where in CM can you get an independent prescription for glasses where you aren't tied into buying the glasses from the shop that tests you? 
Any idea of costs for the prescription would also be appreciated.

I always get my prescription from any options here. It's free. I have not found any tie you into buying glasses odd then for doing your eye test. Been doing this for years at various different options. 

Some even fixed my glasses arm and out on new nose pad things for frree on my old glasses and would not take money when I offered it to them. 

22 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I always get my prescription from any options here. It's free. I have not found any tie you into buying glasses odd then for doing your eye test. Been doing this for years at various different options. 

Some even fixed my glasses arm and out on new nose pad things for frree on my old glasses and would not take money when I offered it to them. 

Can you name any of these places that do not tie you in, especially the free ones?

3 hours ago, fangless said:

Would you mind saying where do you get your prescription from and how much?

I am still using one from the US, that was free as a Blue Cross customer, which was anything but free.  Had a difficult time, here.. and don't make the mistake, like I did of just using the quick computer check. Went to RAM and made an appointment, came back several days later, waited an hour and walked out.  At the time, they were doing cattle call appointments at 1 pm, and everyone sits there and waits... Also went to the most touted place on here, near Zoe Bar, and one of his sales sfaff told me they would not do it at any price unless you were buying.  Also, had a free check at "Hiroshima Optic," KSK.. and it was way off.  I wondered if that machine was another example of something that needs to be grounded.  And those machines tend to give too powerful scripts, which can give you a headache... I would find an Ophthalmologist and see them at Bangkok Hospital or others.. would consider Maharaj to save a few bucks and possibly finding a great doctor, and it was near my condo.. Didn't know McCormick didn't do it, but was super pleased with their ENT clinic and the lady doctor, clean and efficient, smart and pretty. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fangless said:

Can you name any of these places that do not tie you in, especially the free ones?

I went to Airport Plaza and used a few opticians there over the years. None ever charged for th eye test. Also none for ed me to buy glasses off them. 

Most gave me a receipt with my prescription written on it, and those that did not write it down for me. 

The last year a went to KT optic in Central festival again it was free. 

I really recommend a Japanese opticians in Central Festival. I used them 2 X and my friend also tried them and was amazed with the service and value. They also made you glasses in an hour ( or something like that). 

They put new lenses in my old frames. And I got a free pair too. The prices there are the cheapest I have found and the staff were really good.  

I am very sorry but I can't remember it's name. It is on a higher floor and away from the other options which are all on the other side of the mall. If you walk around it will be obvious. If I remember the name I will post it back on here asap. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Found it. It's called Owndays. 

Owndays is okay if you stick with single vision house lenses and buy a frame from them. Anything other than that and they hit you. And if you bring your own frame they still charge you for a frame.

Their business model relies heavily on making you get frames from them, which are marked up to ridiculous levels.

For instance, they quote 3000 baht for their cheaper Transitions type lenses. You have to buy a frame from them on top of this, which is a minimum of 2000 baht, so the cost shoots up to 5000 baht or more. I had a new frame and went with it - but the price is no longer 3000 baht. If you bring your own frame the price of the lens jumps to 5000 baht. This is predatory pricing.

I found a shop that sold Essilor lenses for a little more than half this price.

When looking for reasonably priced lenses, don't forget Top Charoen. They will try to sell you expensive lenses, but their house brand is perfectly fine. Single vision lenses are 500 baht, and they are the same material for which Owndays (and others) charges 2000 baht or more. They also have a Transitions type house lens.

I have not previously considered online eyeglasses, partly because I bought glasses from Costco in the US. Costco prices are not prohibitive (other stores in the US can fleece you). But given that it may be another year before I can travel, I will give online a try.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wandr said:

Owndays is okay if you stick with single vision house lenses and buy a frame from them. Anything other than that and they hit you. And if you bring your own frame they still charge you for a frame.

Their business model relies heavily on making you get frames from them, which are marked up to ridiculous levels.

For instance, they quote 3000 baht for their cheaper Transitions type lenses. You have to buy a frame from them on top of this, which is a minimum of 2000 baht, so the cost shoots up to 5000 baht or more. I had a new frame and went with it - but the price is no longer 3000 baht. If you bring your own frame the price of the lens jumps to 5000 baht. This is predatory pricing.

I found a shop that sold Essilor lenses for a little more than half this price.

When looking for reasonably priced lenses, don't forget Top Charoen. They will try to sell you expensive lenses, but their house brand is perfectly fine. Single vision lenses are 500 baht, and they are the same material for which Owndays (and others) charges 2000 baht or more. They also have a Transitions type house lens.

I have not previously considered online eyeglasses, partly because I bought glasses from Costco in the US. Costco prices are not prohibitive (other stores in the US can fleece you). But given that it may be another year before I can travel, I will give online a try.

Well, they but new lenses in my old frame and only charged for the lenses...which were cheaper that the quotes I got from the other opticians. 

My lenses were also quite complicated to make as I have an eye condition and they lenses had to be really thick...but they were able to make them much thinner at way more than half the price the other shops were. 

22 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Well, they but new lenses in my old frame and only charged for the lenses...which were cheaper that the quotes I got from the other opticians. 

My lenses were also quite complicated to make as I have an eye condition and they lenses had to be really thick...but they were able to make them much thinner at way more than half the price the other shops were. 

You really think they gave you a frame for "free", as you said earlier? You must be a very trusting person.

No, they charged you for the frame, including it in the price of the lens, because that is how they do business.

If you did not find a lens at a lower price you did not look enough. As everyone has noted, opticians in Thailand simply want to rip foreigners off and will quote the list price for higher cost lens. You have to look around, and educate yourself somewhat on types of lens etc.

If you like Owndays that is fine. I am just trying to set the record straight. The store has some good things going for it. I would be much happier with them if they did not practice deceptive pricing. Just price a lens correctly and not bring the frame into it. Then people can compare cost more easily, and use their own frames if they want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/13/2020 at 3:39 PM, jak2002003 said:

I really recommend a Japanese opticians in Central Festival. I used them 2 X and my friend also tried them and was amazed with the service and value. They also made you glasses in an hour ( or something like that). 

They put new lenses in my old frames. And I got a free pair too. The prices there are the cheapest I have found and the staff were really good.  

Tell us the price so we can have a good laugh.

I'm betting it was more than the $50 Zenni would have charged (inc. delivery).

Edited by BritManToo

On 12/14/2020 at 10:26 AM, jak2002003 said:

Good idea, I have frames(well actually only the legs) for 7000 baht that I never used much and the lenses are needing changed. 

• Like 1

I recently got to the beach without my sunglasses.. instead of dealing with the carnies, I went to Daiso.  They had the clip on visor sunglasses for 60 THB in a few sizes. Paid for itself the first hour.. 

Edited by moontang

2 hours ago, Wandr said:

You really think they gave you a frame for "free", as you said earlier? You must be a very trusting person.

No, they charged you for the frame, including it in the price of the lens, because that is how they do business.

If you did not find a lens at a lower price you did not look enough. As everyone has noted, opticians in Thailand simply want to rip foreigners off and will quote the list price for higher cost lens. You have to look around, and educate yourself somewhat on types of lens etc.

If you like Owndays that is fine. I am just trying to set the record straight. The store has some good things going for it. I would be much happier with them if they did not practice deceptive pricing. Just price a lens correctly and not bring the frame into it. Then people can compare cost more easily, and use their own frames if they want.

I look every year and must have looked in almost every major branch of optician. 

I am not saying you can't get them cheaper online. But I like to try on my glasses to make sure I like the look of then before I buy. 

I still say that shop was very good and still recommend it. 

They showed my all the lense options from cheapest to most expensive. I have not found any options that charge s different price to forefingers. You must be doing something wrong there. 

I am knowledgeable about lenses and prescriptions due to my ongoing eye condition that I have had since birth. I get new glasses regularly. I am not an idiot being ripped off with overpriced lenses or frames. I am not a rich guy so have to watch what I spend. That is why I have visited to many opticians here, collected information, prices and availability of lenses made by many different  foreign companies. 

I recommend op simply go to the shop I recommend and get his free eye test and a quote for glasses. If he thinks it's too expensive there is not pressure to buy them. 

4 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I look every year and must have looked in almost every major branch of optician. 

I am not saying you can't get them cheaper online. But I like to try on my glasses to make sure I like the look of then before I buy. 

I still say that shop was very good and still recommend it. 

They showed my all the lense options from cheapest to most expensive. I have not found any options that charge s different price to forefingers. You must be doing something wrong there. 

I am knowledgeable about lenses and prescriptions due to my ongoing eye condition that I have had since birth. I get new glasses regularly. I am not an idiot being ripped off with overpriced lenses or frames. I am not a rich guy so have to watch what I spend. That is why I have visited to many opticians here, collected information, prices and availability of lenses made by many different  foreign companies. 

I recommend op simply go to the shop I recommend and get his free eye test and a quote for glasses. If he thinks it's too expensive there is not pressure to buy them. 

You can upload a passport photo and virtually try on frames at zenni. 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Tell us the price so we can have a good laugh.

I'm betting it was more than the $50 Zenni would have charged (inc. delivery).

I did not have to pay for delivery as I was handed them in person in the shop an hour after I ordered them. I also did not have to wait for delivery as they made them in an hour.

The staff also checked they fitted my face property, adjusted the nose pad things and arms a bit, gave me a very nice case, cleaning cloth and cleaning spray, as well as a discount voucher. After that I went and had a nice cup of coffee and a cake as I could now read the menu.????

The cost for my new lenses (that are extra thin and tinted) and the free pair was about £60.