is renting your house out for private parties legal?

I ask this question because there are 2 large houses (5 bedrooms)  opposite us rented by 1 lady and her brother.

They then rent these houses to hi-so parties. Sometimes it may be gambling as they are very quiet and only men go there, but they make a lot of noise when they leave. They rent some "pretties" to accompany the men.

At first it was once a month or something like that, but this week it has been every night and they are in full swing with preparing for tonight's party.

The guests leave anytime from 3 am to late the next day and it is impossible to sleep more than a couple of hours at a time.

We thought about informing the police, but they seem to have a good relationship with the local police. Is there any other place to complain?

Moving is out of the question. We have just built a new house for 30 million. When we started building, the two houses opposite were rented out to foreigners, who were very quiet.

• Haha 1

I believe it is legal, why wouldn't it be?  It's not like they built an illegal hotel or are using a condo as a hotel which is a whole different ballgame.

Many people rent out houses, they run it as a kind of B&B setup, often there's a bunch of houses and you can stay for however long you want, be it 1 day or 1 month.

I think I saw you post another thread about this so called 'illegal' activity.

You might be getting confused with recent rules about renting out apartments for less than 30 days, I think that's different as I believe it comes under unlicensed hotels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Traubert said:

Vietnamese Dong?

30,000,000 Vietnamese= 38,977.42 Thai Baht

30,000,000 Myanmar Kyat = 677,306.63 Thai Baht

30,000,000 Cambodian riel = 222,700.14 Thai Baht

Update 

Reading your earliers posts , it's appears you are in bangkok.

So 30 million property is understandable. Don't mess with any thais. As a foreigner you have no rights and authorities will always side with the locals. 

Edited by lovethai123
  • Haha 1

They couple organising the gambling parties will get in trouble sooner or late. For example, one the clients will have a beef with them or they won't be able to pay off the police. You'll just have to wait them out. It might take a month or two.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

30 million, I don't think so, I don't care where you live, for that money you could have bought a few rai with the house in the middle and no neighbours to disturb you, excepting BKK of course, pictures or it's all porkies.

Not really, it's depending of location, where I live 30 million baht would buy you 1/6th of a rai with a house, if you get a good price, the going price is more likely 35 million. My neighbor put his his about 1/4th rai land with an almost 10-year old villa up for sale for 69 million baht, and sold it for 50 million two years ago...:whistling:

To OP @petedk: I had a noise neighbor – they however had bought the villa – making big parties late at night, starting around midnight. Police should be alerted to check on it. However, it's best if it's a Thai citizen complaining, not a foreigner (so my Thai lawyer says), so if you have a Thai partner, check if any neighboring Thais are disturbed and would complain, otherwise let your partner call one night, when the party is noisy.

It might work, in my case it did, but the noisy neighbor was foreign, however the police kindly helped the neighbor out of the country, so something more than just noise partying was probably going on next door...????

• Like 1

23 hours ago, petedk said:

they seem to have a good relationship with the local police. Is there any other place to complain?

of course they do... 

You can complain here... seems par for the course.

Sorry for your troubles - I think there is not going to be an easy answer for you... 

Should have invested at least 2 million in acoustic isolation.

But not to worry - sooner or later,  a few drunk Somchai's will get into a pissing contest,

start shooting at each other and then the whole thing will come to an end right quick.

• Haha 2

There are good reasons for banning short-term rentals in condo bylaws, but I am sick and tired of laws and other coercitive measures that curtail what one can do with his PRIVATE PROPERTY.

Noise pollution is one thing which the police should take care of by issuing fines, but banning someone from renting out (or doing anything else he likes as long as it doesn't objectively disturb his neighbors) his private property is clearly over the top.

In Zurich, one needs a permit from the city hall to park a vehicle on his land !!  I'm sure there are other inacceptable cuts into private property rights around the world. Don't accept this !

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

Update 

So 30 million property is understandable. Don't mess with any thais. As a foreigner you have no rights and authorities will always side with the locals. 

He did say that was the cost to build the house, which suggests land wasnt included in that price 

On 12/9/2020 at 5:41 PM, ukrules said:

I believe it is legal, why wouldn't it be?  It's not like they built an illegal hotel or are using a condo as a hotel which is a whole different ballgame.

Many people rent out houses, they run it as a kind of B&B setup, often there's a bunch of houses and you can stay for however long you want, be it 1 day or 1 month.

I think I saw you post another thread about this so called 'illegal' activity.

You might be getting confused with recent rules about renting out apartments for less than 30 days, I think that's different as I believe it comes under unlicensed hotels.

The reason I believe it is illegal is because they are acting as un unregistered night club. Selling alcohol and food. No social distancing. No rules whatsoever. The renting out is done on a daily basis for parties only. Not accommodation.

Also we are woken up every night between 12.00 and 6 am.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 6:27 PM, Golden Triangle said:

30 million, I don't think so, I don't care where you live, for that money you could have bought a few rai with the house in the middle and no neighbours to disturb you, excepting BKK of course, pictures or it's all porkies.

Why should I lie?

It is on Thong Lor. The land alone is worth more than that. It is a five story building for the whole family. 

It is at the end of what was a very quiet closed soi. Only 2 other houses next to us.

On 12/9/2020 at 6:33 PM, Kwasaki said:

Yeah you'd think if the house cost that much it must be enormous and you would have bedrooms at the back away from the road.

Or at least have noise insulation.

It is enormous. 

Our "section" is over 300 sqm and there are 5 sections. All in the family

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

Update 

That is exactly what I am afraid of. Yes it was rented out for a month as ASQ to a royal family.

After that for a huge swimming pool party for a large group of Koreans.

This week a different group every night.

Just now I came home and couldn't get in as the road was blocked. I asked the drivers of the cars to speak to the owner of the house. They had no idea who the owner was.

I am the only foreigner in the family. Yes, some of them have high positions and just a few minutes ago we talked about contacting someone higher up in the police. We don't trust the local police

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, petedk said:

Why should I lie?

It is on Thong Lor. The land alone is worth more than that. It is a five story building for the whole family. 

It is at the end of what was a very quiet closed soi. Only 2 other houses next to us.

In Thong lor last night watching a guy trying to park his Bentley Bentiga between two  Lamborghinis.....there is some money out that way for sure. 

7 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

They couple organising the gambling parties will get in trouble sooner or late. For example, one the clients will have a beef with them or they won't be able to pay off the police. You'll just have to wait them out. It might take a month or two.

That's what we are hoping for.

I saw the other night/morning that some guests literally threw a man in the back of his car. When I went out at 6 am he was on the back seat, door open, covered in vomit. 

On 12/9/2020 at 6:33 PM, Kwasaki said:

Yeah you'd think if the house cost that much it must be enormous and you would have bedrooms at the back away from the road.

Or at least have noise insulation.

The house is well insulated but the sound of women shouting out loud does go through the windows at night.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, khunPer said:

Not really, it's depending of location, where I live 30 million baht would buy you 1/6th of a rai with a house, if you get a good price, the going price is more likely 35 million. My neighbor put his his about 1/4th rai land with an almost 10-year old villa up for sale for 69 million baht, and sold it for 50 million two years ago...:whistling:

To OP @petedk: I had a noise neighbor – they however had bought the villa – making big parties late at night, starting around midnight. Police should be alerted to check on it. However, it's best if it's a Thai citizen complaining, not a foreigner (so my Thai lawyer says), so if you have a Thai partner, check if any neighboring Thais are disturbed and would complain, otherwise let your partner call one night, when the party is noisy.

It might work, in my case it did, but the noisy neighbor was foreign, however the police kindly helped the neighbor out of the country, so something more than just noise partying was probably going on next door...????

We were offered 35 million for the land alone (as I said it is on Thong Lor and very desirable), but we declined and decided to build a four family house.

Yes the others are all Thai. They don't really know what to do yet.

1 hour ago, VYCM said:

If you dont have a Hotel license it is illegal to daily/weekly rent.

If you are a landlord minimum 6 months rentals.

Talk to City Hall if you are not getting support from the Police. 

That is what we are talking about.

Actually, I think the houses are rented by an old lady and her brother. The rent is 220,000 per month per house!

So you can see how many parties they need to cover that.

Edited by petedk