UK tells EU: back down by Sunday night or we'll walk

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

Personally I would rather live with hope and cheer in my heart and mind, than the depressing fear, dread and negativity of a pessimist.

I see Brexit as a disaster but that doesn't mean I'm a pessimist. My life in Thailand is full of cheer and love, it's just sad to see the UK committing financial suicide.

• Like 1

Boris Johnson and Ursula von der Leyen held a secret phone call on Monday in an attempt to reach an 11th-hour compromise in the Brexit trade negotiations, according to an official familiar with the call.

https://www.politico.eu/article/boris-johnson-ursula-von-der-leyen-secret-phone-call/

Ruparel said the “hardest difference to bridge” is whether the EU gets to retaliate across other sectors if the U.K. decides to change its quota share in future — so-called “cross retaliation.” He suggested an “independent arbitration panel” that would determine the cost of any U.K. action to the EU and decide which cross-retaliation tariffs the EU could levy on other sectors of the British economy. 

Edited by Hi from France
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Another Remainer peering into the depths of financial doom and gloom from a tropical crystal ball? Funny how there are so many financial and economic experts on these Brexit threads who want the UK to Remain in the EU but didn't want to Remain in the UK themselves. 

so give us some post brexit financial projections to lift the gloom ..

This should be good ....

The financial experts are out there in the financial world not just on here, and out there you are friendless! You may have noticed. 

• Like 1

"Here’s a Brexit compromise on fish — and both sides would be wise to take it" 

(Op-ed by an Englishman, I'm not happy with that) 

Raoul Ruparel was the prime minister's special adviser on Europe under Theresa May and was directly involved in Brexit negotiations for three years. Last year he predicted how a Brexit deal would be struck.

https://www.politico.eu/article/opinion-heres-a-compromise-on-fish-post-brexit-and-both-sides-would-be-wise-to-take-it/

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The old Grouse coming through. I am a Times man as you well know. I guess it is down to preference but for me it is over priced and doesn't deserve its reputation.

Much better valuer wines for the same quality from South America and South Africa.

It must so great being you and your "I am considerably better than you" attitude.

‘Much better valuer’ and ‘It must so great being you’ ???

It’s great being educated that’s for sure 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Another Remainer peering into the depths of financial doom and gloom from a tropical crystal ball? Funny how there are so many financial and economic experts on these Brexit threads who want the UK to Remain in the EU but didn't want to Remain in the UK themselves. 

Funny how there are so many Brexiters who  don't want UK to remain in EU but who didn't want want to remain in the UK themselves.

9 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

His reply didnt make sense though, as the quality of French wine wasnt even bought into question .

He didnt understand the point being made and failed to resond to that point , just saw French wine being mentioned and replied with his prediction of what the other person read and drinks .

So ‘

All that wine could just about cover and be used for fish and chips. That is all it is good for anyway????

doesn’t bring the quality into question ? 

Perhaps read things a little more slowly going forward 

3 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

The same applies to the E.U . 

Or hasnt Covid effected the E.U ?

You , the E.U  are going to have to bail out Bulgaria  , Greece etc and help them deal with the fallout from Covid 

We. in the UK will noet have to do that .

Why does it always end up with you trying to convince the UK that we should have stayed in the E.U ?

Are you hoping that we will change our minds and ask to stay in the E.U ?

The younger generations might once all the selfish coffin dodgers that sabotaged their futures have popped off ! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

Good luck with that

English wine is growing in popularity and is increasingly recognised as a premium wine-producing region, with more than 450 wineries and around 3.15m bottles produced a year.

The most popular grapes varieties grown in English vineyards are Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Bacchus, as well as Pinot Meunier and Ortega.

Whilst vineyards are found across the whole of England, the climate of the South and South East makes it a particularly popular region for growing vines, especially in Hampshire, Sussex and Kent.

2018 saw a bumper harvest, with yields doubled in some vineyards.

https://www.decanter.com/wine/wine-regions/english-wine/

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

I voted leave UK with my feet back in the mid-80s. Nothing to do with the people, most are great but I couldn't stand the toy town life full of regulations and overcrowded.

But it was good to be part of the EU, both financially and culturally, a more open society 

What was it you said? If we don't like the trade deals offered by China and the US we can walk away.

So who will you trade with?

One of the Brexiteers here mentioned 57 trade deals had been signed since February.  Most are roll- overs from EU contracts, but what he didn't mention was over 450 haven't been rolled over and will cease to be valid on January 1st. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Loiner said:

What are you Grousing on about again now? Is it something I said? 

You’ve bored the bejesus out of us once or twice yes with endless fish rants  (0.1% gdp) but then you don’t have a lot else to justify your stupidity I guess . 

1 minute ago, Bruntoid said:

There it is again - a sanctimonious selfish insular old person thinking they know what’s best for the younger generations! 

It’s their future not yours - but you have whipped the carpet from under their feet to make your last few years a little more smug. It’s they who will have to repair your damage. 

No grandparent should be sleeping easily  (one with any thought to their grandkids anyway) 

IMO , Brexit will be beneficial to the UK .

Time will tell though .

The younger generation will not have to compete with the never ending cheap workers from the EU .

Hopefully the younger generation will be able to earn a decent living wage in the future

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

so give us some post brexit financial projections to lift the gloom ..

This should be good ....

The financial experts are out there in the financial world not just on here, and out there you are friendless! You may have noticed. 

You may not have noticed previous requests for me to do Remainers’ homework for them, but just for you: 

Go find your own positive projections. You could even learn something. 

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

Generations don't change just for the sake of change. The younger generation will judge Brexit by how it affects the economy and their quality of life.

This generation did, over 40 years of EU produced a change from accepting the EEC to a vote to Leave. 

The younger generation won’t know the difference as they will only enjoy the benefits of Brexit. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bannork said:

I voted leave UK with my feet back in the mid-80s. Nothing to do with the people, most are great but I couldn't stand the toy town life full of regulations and overcrowded.

But it was good to be part of the EU, both financially and culturally, a more open society 

What was it you said? If we don't like the trade deals offered by China and the US we can walk away.

So who will you trade with?

One of the Brexiteers here mentioned 57 trade deals had been signed since February.  Most are roll- overs from EU contracts, but what he didn't mention was over 450 haven't been rolled over and will cease to be valid on January 1st. 

Toy town life full of regulations and overcrowded? Well the EU certainly increased your regulation and, sometime after you left, the overcrowding too. 

We already trade with China and the US. If we don’t like the deals offered we carry on WTO or other deals. 

I think it is up to 60 deals now. Where do you get 450 others from?

• Like 1

BJ offer rejected, negotiations still on

His comments come after the European Union rejected a UK offer on fishing rights, despite a personal call between Boris Johnson and Ursula von der Leyen designed to force a last-minute breakthrough.

The UK's offer on fisheries would have seen  the bloc slash the value of its fishing catch in UK waters by roughly a third over a transition period of five years, down from an initial demand to cut it by 60 per cent over three years.

Mr Johnson and Mrs von der Leyen have now established a hotline between Downing Street and the European Commission, and will speak "wherever it is necessary", an EU source said.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/12/22/brexit-news-latest-deal-today-france-border-boris-johnson/