UK tells EU: back down by Sunday night or we'll walk

snoop1130

17 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

Boris needs more time to give the EU more fish - I think he’s currently up to 66% PLUS compensation for the missing rest (from a position of not budging from 25%) 

Excellent work Boris - you’ve sure got those Sun readers fooled!

29 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

Jesus wept bloody fish !! (0.1% gdp) - but fear not Bojo has been quietly caving in overnight and a deal expected today. 

Just compare what bojos fish red lines were and what he settled for ???? painful reading for a leaver. 

9 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Mr Barnier told ambassadors the UK proposal that the EU transfer 35% of the value of fish caught by EU boats in UK waters to the British fleet did not include pelagic stocks, and that if it did the UK offer would be closer to 60%.

It is understood that Mr Barnier said the UK was also excluding any access for European boats to its six-mile to 12-mile fishing zone.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2020/1222/1185975-johnson-von-der-leyen/

So the earlier reports of the UK caving in to EU demands were incorrect

It would appear that your 1st post was incorrect no cave in from Boris

19 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

I would have thought the point was blindingly obvious surely ? 

The older generation shafted the young.

Clear enough ? 

The younger generation would be more concerned about going to *I Beetha* on the Balearics in Spain for the summer and getting a job there collocating glasses in a bar , visa free  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, CorpusChristie said:

The younger generation would be more concerned about going to *I Beetha* on the Balearics in Spain for the summer and getting a job there collocating glasses in a bar , visa free  

A rather dim view of British youth....I am sure 'some' would be happy doing that....but not the whole generation I am sure.....I have no links or evidence for that statement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

That would be fair enough .

As long as we can pick 10 strawberries for every crab you catch

50 Strawberries for every Tuna you catch and a 100 Strawberries for every Cod you catch ?

Have as many strawberries as you bought the rights to and let the fisherman have as many fish as they bought the rights to.

Simples.

3 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

50 Strawberries for every Tuna you catch and a 100 Strawberries for every Cod you catch ?

With a small adjustment in the numbers, it would be indeed the easiest deal in history.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

How did you come up with exactly those numbers? Why not 43.4 strawberries for every 1.34 mackerel? 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

OK, we go and plant the seeds ourselves then and water them ?

If you want free access to our territory , give is free access to yours, in return 

Now that is nearer the mark.........Yes you can do that, but in return we want to have access to your supermarkets to sell our tomatoes.....is that fair?

Edited by Surelynot

50 minutes ago, Phulublub said:
1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

In fact, only 34% voted to Remain in the EU.

Using your own figures, what percentage voted for the huge upheaval that leaving is going to bring?

PH

JonnyF being very prolific and clearly missed my question relating to a previous post of his, so I ask ahain:

Using your own figures, what percentage voted for the huge upheaval that leaving is going to bring?

(surely he cannot have read it but refuses to answer because that would show that a majority of the UK electorate did not vote for Brexit?)

PH

Edited by Phulublub
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

JohnnyF being very prolific and clearly missed my question relating to a previous post of his, so I ask ahain:

(surely he cannot have read it but refuses to answer because that would show that a majority of the UK electorate did not vote for Brexit?)

PH

37%

Which is more than 34%

Hence you lose, we win.

Any more questions?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Do they have the rights ?

Could you investigate and find out the current situation ?

There seems to some uncertainty about the current situation .

If the French fisherman have the legal right to catch fish in UK waters , I dont see how the UK could stop them.

Are those quotas still valid ?

It is widely reported and frequently discussed in the news, in parliament and here on TVF that British fisherman sold their rights to European fishing companies, mostly in the Netherlands, but also France and Spain.

You are correct, there would be no means to prevent the owners of the fishing rights exercising their rights, a point frequently made by myself and others here on TVF.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Depends on the global conditions of the deal.

So it is hypothetical possible that an agreement include :

The E.U. is allowed to fish in U.K. waters:

The U.K. is allowed to pick up for free strawberries in Spain.

The British don’t even pick their own strawberries, they have to import East Europeans to do the picking for them.

Something similar  will be true of the fish.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

37%

Which is more than 34%

Hence you lose, we win.

Any more questions?

You asserted that ONLY 34% voted to remain.  Can you not see how the fact that ONLY 37% voted to Leave is just a little bit not a majority of the elctorate - and hence why there is so litle true appetite for the problems we are facing and likely to face?

PH

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Always somebody elses fault.

Why did the British fishermen sell their fishing rights, could it have something to do with the EU cutting British quotas and making it impossible for their boats and crews to make a living.

For many species, it gave European boats - by law - a greater entitlement to fish in British waters than the British themselves. Prime Minister Edward Heath, who negotiated the UK's entry into the European Economic Community, is widely blamed for this - and for the fact that half a century later, EU fleets land about eight times as much fish (by value) from UK waters as British fishermen catch in EU waters.

Within a few years of the introduction of quotas, fishermen like Kurt had reached their annual limit by September and had nothing left to fish for. Some went on the dole, others had to look for new jobs, much to Kurt's disgust.

"You know, you'd got guys in a cake factory - perfectly brilliant skippers sticking cherries on cakes," he says. "Where does your pride go with that? It's wrong."

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-54756574

When the CFP - which had many flaws - was introduced, the North Sea was becoming an underwater desert.  Fish stoicks were critically low.  Had it not been for the CFP there would have have been virtually nothing to fish for.

PH

Edited by Phulublub
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

How typical of Guy Verhofstadt to gloat at the misfortune of the lorry drivers stuck at Dover at Christmas time.

What a mean spirited, spiteful, bitter old man he is ????. I wonder if he's any of the Remain posters on TVF? ????

Laurence Fox was right on the money again.:clap2:

image.png.2cc9ed29c8a36900125afa68c5f4719c.png

But the tweet to which he rersponds is not gloating.  And neither are any of the Brexit supporters here.  Ever.  Oh no.

Take first the mote from thine own eye beforee you throw bricks from your glass hourses.  And other cliches

PH

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

I dont fell sorry for Sheffield United , they are stuck on 2 points after four months , we have been stuck on this 1 point for four years now

Only two points?  Have they scored as mnay spectacular own goals as the UK Government in the past year?

PH

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

How typical of Guy Verhofstadt to gloat at the misfortune of the lorry drivers stuck at Dover at Christmas time.

What a mean spirited, spiteful, bitter old man he is ????. I wonder if he's any of the Remain posters on TVF? ????

Laurence Fox was right on the money again.:clap2:

image.png.2cc9ed29c8a36900125afa68c5f4719c.png

He’s not gloating, he commenting on an observable truth that while uncomfortable for Brexiteers is still a truth and still observable.

You’ll find predictions to this outcome filed under ‘Project Fear’.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Always somebody elses fault.

Why did the British fishermen sell their fishing rights, could it have something to do with the EU cutting British quotas and making it impossible for their boats and crews to make a living.

For many species, it gave European boats - by law - a greater entitlement to fish in British waters than the British themselves. Prime Minister Edward Heath, who negotiated the UK's entry into the European Economic Community, is widely blamed for this - and for the fact that half a century later, EU fleets land about eight times as much fish (by value) from UK waters as British fishermen catch in EU waters.

Within a few years of the introduction of quotas, fishermen like Kurt had reached their annual limit by September and had nothing left to fish for. Some went on the dole, others had to look for new jobs, much to Kurt's disgust.

"You know, you'd got guys in a cake factory - perfectly brilliant skippers sticking cherries on cakes," he says. "Where does your pride go with that? It's wrong."

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-54756574

You can make any guess you like why they sold their rights, the salient fact is they sold them.

• Like 2