Driving On Ko Chang...Easy?

Pattaya Spotter

22 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

How easy is it to drive from the ferry landing on Ko Chang to the resort areas on the island? I've read and seen videos that the terrain is quite mountainous in places and that the road is not in good condition in others. During non-rainy season, will a standard sedan have any difficulty getting around the island?

Also, is there a secure mainland parking lot at the ferry terminal to leave a car while staying on the island?

Bring the car you will need it , the roads are  very good but there are many hills so drive carefully. You will  for sure enjoy the island, the west side is the most beautiful with many hotels beaches and restaurants... 

13 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

I have just returned from Koh Chang Island, yes the roads are very windy, steep and narrow. From the ferry to the White sands area is ok, but after that, the roads deteriated right through to Koh Bang. If your car is fairly newish you'll be OK. I have an SUV, no problems. I was a bit disappointed with the Island as a whole, after the first 2-3 klms, the place looks deserted and very run down, possibly due to the Virus, however, what I saw I suspect was like this before the Virus. After the hotel you have mentioned there is very little beach access anywhere and almost zero parking. We stayed at the Klong Prao Resort at white sands. Very happy with this place. If you want more info PM me. Happy to help.

White Sand Beach area isn't very far into the island...the Centara is way past that. The virus, as we all know, has decimated the tourism industry so I suspect much of what you observed is due to the lack of international tourists for 10 months. It's the same here in Pattaya...some areas completely deserted and almost all businesses closed. It's even somewhat scary at nite.

• Like 1

If you are really nervous, stick to the relatively undeveloped east side.  Good road surface, little traffic and the only steep parts are near the end of the road, before the war memorial.  There are some really top shelf resorts on that side and rooms are inexpensive, many under 1000B.  You'll be missing the hustle and bustle of the west side but for me, the quiet is appreciated.  Quite a few good restaurants but you'll need some local knowledge to find some of them.  Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

Was just there in September and no problems. Have been going for many years. They fixed some of the road a few years back and it is fine. Yes steep in parts but easy. Worst thing i have had is being stuck behind a delivery truck with bottled water fully loaded. Literally could have walked faster.

Yes there is parking on the mainland side. Can not remember cost but was reasonable. Covered parking. Was off to the left side near the ticket booth.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Honda Accord with the 2.4 litre engine.

I can't believe you even asked the question in a 2.4l car. My car with an engine half the size cruised up the hills.

I do wonder though how the new 1litre turbos will get on. 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2020 at 1:53 PM, Pattaya Spotter said:

How easy is it to drive from the ferry landing on Ko Chang to the resort areas on the island? I've read and seen videos that the terrain is quite mountainous in places and that the road is not in good condition in others. During non-rainy season, will a standard sedan have any difficulty getting around the island?

Also, is there a secure mainland parking lot at the ferry terminal to leave a car while staying on the island?

easy to drive koh chang.......

if your driving a model T might be hard on the gears........

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

White Sand Beach area isn't very far into the island...the Centara is way past that. The virus, as we all know, has decimated the tourism industry so I suspect much of what you observed is due to the lack of international tourists for 10 months. It's the same here in Pattaya...some areas completely deserted and almost all businesses closed. It's even somewhat scary at nite.

if you decide to go, make sure you buy some insect body spray, the sand flies in the white sand are nasty little buggers, took about 5 days for irritation to go away, only after I used some cream and tablets from a Pharmacy.

Cheers

• Like 1

As everyone says, you will encounter some very steep hills not long after leaving the ferry.  I would recommend that on departure you get a coffee from the stall at the terminal and hang around 10 minutes.

One of the biggest problems driving up those hills is other drivers that are perhaps a little too wary or scare easily. I've seen several accidents there and one guy in a manual truck that burned his clutch out right on a sharp bend - causing a major problem. Better to have a coffee and let the others get past that section.

The hills and corners at the other end of the island - going towards Bang Bao are more dangerous in my opinion, especially the descents.  But provided you know, take care and keep well away from the 2 teenage females (foreigners) wobbling around on their scooter, you'll be fine. You will no doubt see the 2 teenagers again later on in your holiday, minus the scooter and plus some bandages ????.

I wouldn't leave my car parked near any ferry terminal - secure or not. Far to easy for it to disappear, those places are miles from anywhere and deserted at night.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First time I went to Koh Chang was on a Harley. The first hill going up looked like it was steep enough to flip you backwards if you weren't careful. Going down the hill on the West side I thought "OMG - if this was wet from rain (or anything else) you'd go straight off that hairpin and over the cliff". 

Since then I've done the Mae Hong Son loop and a few other curvy mountain roads that are much worse (or felt much worse) than the top half of Koh Chang. Was there (Koh Chang) last March (in the g/f's car) and it didn't seem anywhere near as bad as I remembered it.

As mentioned in other posts, the biggest thing to worry about is other drivers, going both ways. Keep your speed down and keep a safe distance. If some ID-10-T wants to pass you on a blind corner, let him by and hope he doesn't wipe out somewhere in front of you.
The island isn't that big that going a little slower is going to cause any major delays in getting to wherever you are going.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

As the Centara, where I plan to stay, is in Kai Bae, any restaurant reccos...especially Thai and Italian.

Probably the best massaman gai I've ever had was here:

https://goo.gl/maps/JKvbK9u9mfrqaPa89

Run by a Thai lady and her daughter.  They were in Europe until the father passed and are now on KC.  If they are closed, don't hesitate to walk in and ask if they'll make it for you.  Super nice ladies.  And right outside the Centara.  Great food.

The other is Salak Phet seafood.  Definitely worth the drive over, and take time to see the boardwalk.  It's quite nice. But the road is super narrow, so be careful on your way to the boardwalk.  The rest of the road to the seafood restaurant is easy peasy.

https://goo.gl/maps/ySp4sDf5zwXLWVgQ6

https://goo.gl/maps/KgBSAj4jwBXN8UDC8

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

As the Centara, where I plan to stay, is in Kai Bae, any restaurant reccos...especially Thai and Italian.

I can recommend Kati which is close to your hotel. Good quality food and nice feel. There are quite a  few restaurants in that strip that are fine.

My only concern about Centara is it is near the lagoon which can be a bit smelly but I haven't seen people complain. It's kind of a boring hotel I think. The Emerald Cove nearby is impressive with it's huge pool and gardens and not too expensive at the moment.

People making jokes about Seaview and  the reaction to bad reviews but it is a stunning hotel set in the forest. I would book ahead at any hotel as often the rate at the door is a lot higher at the nicer hotels  but maybe different given the current situation.

My girlfriend is nervous to take the motorbike for reasons people have mentioned but I think a car would be fine if you just be a bit cautious on the hilly bits. In wet season the rain can cause cause chaos fast but it should be fine now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I can recommend Kati which is close to your hotel. Good quality food and nice feel. There are quite a  few restaurants in that strip that are fine.

My only concern about Centara is it is near the lagoon which can be a bit smelly but I haven't seen people complain. It's kind of a boring hotel I think. The Emerald Cove nearby is impressive with it's huge pool and gardens and not too expensive at the moment.

People making jokes about Seaview and  the reaction to bad reviews but it is a stunning hotel set in the forest. I would book ahead at any hotel as often the rate at the door is a lot higher at the nicer hotels  but maybe different given the current situation.

My girlfriend is nervous to take the motorbike for reasons people have mentioned but I think a car would be fine if you just be a bit cautious on the hilly bits. In wet season the rain can cause cause chaos fast but it should be fine now.

My friend recommended we stay at the Centara a months ago.  Based on his impressions from many years ago.  Well...I wasn't impressed.  The beach out front is filled with rocks making it hard to swim.  The lagoon is nearby, but I didn't notice a smell.  The walk on the beach is OK.  The rooms are quite a bit back from the beach, with none on the beach.  The property is in desperate need of a renovation.

I prefer this place or the one next door.  Individual bungalows right on the sand for about the same price as the Centara.  A pretty nice beach with fewer rocks.  KB resort next door is very nice and the restaurant/beach bar are great.

https://g.page/Kohchangkaibae?share

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

No worries!  I've never experienced this before, but one of the ferries we just used caused us to bottom out big time when getting off.  Getting on was no biggie.  People in cars like yours were letting everyone out of their car before exiting, and going across the bump sideways.  Just a note.

Otherwise, you'll be fine!  It's a great island to explore.  Don't forget the other side and Salakphet seafood!  Amazing.

Never had a problem driving on or off the ferries in 15 yrs, unless you have a lowered car or a low front spoiler, even the mini busses with low spoilers manage with no problem.

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Never had a problem driving on or off the ferries in 15 yrs, unless you have a lowered car or a low front spoiler, even the mini busses with low spoilers manage with no problem.

Same with me!  I've got an old Honda City, not lowered.  Been off and on those ferries dozens of times.  Never a problem.  But this time, wow.  I even stopped just off the ferry to see if there was any damage.  Pretty close to the worst bottoming out I've ever had.

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

Same with me!  I've got an old Honda City, not lowered.  Been off and on those ferries dozens of times.  Never a problem.  But this time, wow.  I even stopped just off the ferry to see if there was any damage.  Pretty close to the worst bottoming out I've ever had.

There are certain times of the year when the tide is very low but i still personally have not grounded the car.

14 hours ago, alien365 said:

I can't believe you even asked the question in a 2.4l car. My car with an engine half the size cruised up the hills.

I do wonder though how the new 1litre turbos will get on. 

Abundance of caution...and not much ground clearance ????

30 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

My friend recommended we stay at the Centara a months ago.  Based on his impressions from many years ago.  Well...I wasn't impressed.  The beach out front is filled with rocks making it hard to swim.  The lagoon is nearby, but I didn't notice a smell.  The walk on the beach is OK.  The rooms are quite a bit back from the beach, with none on the beach.  The property is in desperate need of a renovation.

I prefer this place or the one next door.  Individual bungalows right on the sand for about the same price as the Centara.  A pretty nice beach with fewer rocks.  KB resort next door is very nice and the restaurant/beach bar are great.

https://g.page/Kohchangkaibae?share

Funny..in 2019 I was staying at Sea View and I had messed up the dates and I had one free night so I stayed at the Kae Bae Beach resort which is just down the road. The mistake I made was that because we were just staying one night I got the cheap room at the back and it was a small and crappy. Pools small too.  I looked at those new large looking beachfront rooms at the front though and I thought how nice it looked right on the beach.

There were some rocks there though and for me the best beaches are White Sand and parts of Khlong Prou near Paradise Resort and near Santhiya Tree. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

if you decide to go, make sure you buy some insect body spray, the sand flies in the white sand are nasty little buggers, took about 5 days for irritation to go away, only after I used some cream and tablets from a Pharmacy.

Cheers

In Thailand...never travel without it (and room mozzie spray).

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

The Emerald and Seaview look nice too...I'll definitely give them consideration too. The Seaview might even be paying people to stay there these days.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Funny..in 2019 I was staying at Sea View and I had messed up the dates and I had one free night so I stayed at the Kae Bae Beach resort which is just down the road. The mistake I made was that because we were just staying one night I got the cheap room at the back and it was a small and crappy. Pools small too.  I looked at those new large looking beachfront rooms at the front though and I thought how nice it looked right on the beach.

There were some rocks there though and for me the best beaches are White Sand and parts of Khlong Prou near Paradise Resort and near Santhiya Tree. 

Yes, there are some rocks in the sea.  Not too bad, but not a 'perfect' beach.  The beachfront bungalows are great.  We were just there a few weeks ago.

The northern part of white sand beach is nice, the southern part isn't.  It's just too jam packed for me.  And can't get rooms right on the beach.

I've see Paradise Resort before.  Looks like the beach there is really nice.  We might try that next time!  Thanks!

• Like 1

If you have an auto then going up the hills is no problem but the car in front may, so keep your distance, coming down them, make sure your overdrive is off and if your auto has second then change down to that. If you have manual change to second BEFORE the bends a lot of unaware try to change to late and stall. don't cut the bends please a large truck could be coming I always use Centrepoint ferry 2 reasons it is cheaper and you can buy a return, the ticket staff are more friendly.  Their is no *secure* parking at the ferries. I have driven up and down these hills literally 100's of times so far so good, cement trucks manage to stay in the lines but some people in a small cars for some reason can't.  This photo in my opinion is the worst bend

FILE191216-133211F_Moment_Moment.jpg.9b5de921744bb8e99a353152b89b1724.jpgFILE191216-133211F_Moment2.jpg.a76cc7408d08a7dd9987ce55254a6109.jpg1301809589_FILE200331-131435F.MOV_snapshot_00.27_2020_04.01_11_04_43.jpg.8bf40f8bf5978df0d25222adfd8c79f3.jpgWAY OVER THE LINE

451206182_FILE200331-131435R.MOV_snapshot_00.28_2020_04.01_11_27_51.jpg.f8f15267bf4e1bf7c3464eb674a284b4.jpgRear view

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Problem with Center point ferry is they don't have as many boats.  So you can wait a bit longer with them than the other ferry.  Not a lot, but they have been known to not sail until the boat fills up a bit.  Ferry KC has more sailings.

https://kohchangferries.com/

You have this WRONG Centrepoint runs to a timetable, normally every hour, but are now running on low season times every 90 min. they do NOT wait for it to be full. it is Thammasat that sometimes waits. it is more expensive and you can not get a return, unlike Centrepoint which is good for 1mth. 

Edited by brianthainess

32 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

You have this WRONG Centrepoint runs to a timetable, normally every hour, but are now running on low season times every 90 min. they do NOT wait for it to be full. it is Thammasat that sometimes waits. it is more expensive and you can not get a return, unlike Centrepoint which is good for 1mth. 

Right.  So my friend who lives on KC was wrong when he told me this.  I was just there, he was going to immigration on the mainland, and commented about the Center point ferry sometimes holding until the boat was full.

The link I put up has their schedule, and it's not every hour.  Why do you need a return ticket?  We did that once, but never again.  Just not necessary.

39 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

From personal experience Centrepoint ferry is terrible. Often delayed, infrequent service,  and the ferry itself is slow.   Au Sapparot ferry much better. Never had an issue. 

A few years ago, there were 3-4 of us going to KC.  Each in our own vehicles.  One guy swore by Center point, the rest of us went with Ferry KC.  The guy who used CP showed up at our resort almost 2 hours later. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Problem with Center point ferry is they don't have as many boats.  So you can wait a bit longer with them than the other ferry.  Not a lot, but they have been known to not sail until the boat fills up a bit.  Ferry KC has more sailings.

https://kohchangferries.com/

Link has useful info...thanks.