Why hold on to the old Pattaya nightlife scene when the new emerging one looks so good?

webfact

11 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

It was one of my main questions when i seen the Pattaya Beach work done and end with 

this very large and useless space of sand.

Did the Thais in charge of this project didn't know Thai people didn't stay on a beach without any shade

assuming the sun is hiting hard from  early morning to the late afternoon? 

Even the foreigns tourists can not stand long in this heat.

What they had in mind with this beach size when they planned this project? Any idea ?

Does the cost was by sqm, then the usual % of $ filling the pockets of the usual suspects

was depending on that too ?

Keeps the speedboats, and their noise and fumes, away from the deckchair areas. We can only hope that young and nubile Russian hotties will occupy the sand. Keep your binoculars polished.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, newnative said:

I look out at that exact stretch of beach in your first photo.  I'm looking at it now.  Not a lick of shade on the beach.  No Thais, either.   However, there were Thais on the beach early this morning sitting in the shade cast by Holiday Inn and several of the other highrises.   When the shade left, so did they.  Wisely.  They will be back in the early evening when the sun goes down.  

And I  go along there at about the same time , 9 to 10 am often as  in this morning .And in particular the past very crowded weekends in that exact part of the beach at the exact time of morning. I would bet that the parking lots in all those North Pattaya 4-5 stars are not full either.

On 12/18/2020 at 10:23 AM, from the home of CC said:

I'd like to see Pattaya returned to the Thais and geared up to be family friendly. Get rid of 90% of the bars and the senior citizen sexual catering. Move it all 50 k outside of the town to keep all the trash in one area and out of  Pattaya proper. 

That will never happen because that`s just a bad idea and not at least,a very booooooring concept ???? !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, newnative said:

Pattaya is a beach town.  The beach is one of its main assets.  It was only natural for the city to widen the beach when the erosion became severe.   This is no different than what is done in beach towns in other countries.  I remember the beach in Ocean City, Maryland being badly washed away after a severe storm.  Soon after, the city was out replenishing the beach, widening it and protecting its valuable asset.   

While Thais may not like the sun, there are tourists from other countries that like nothing more than slathering themselves with suntan lotion and baking themselves on the beach.  Perhaps they are trying to thaw themselves out from the frozen climates they have escaped from.  They aren't here now but they will be back and Pattaya's beautiful, wide clean beach will be waiting for them.  Jomtien Beach is up next for its makeover--also a good thing for Greater Pattaya's future.  

Even before covid and in high season i don't remember seeing big numbers of tourists

on the sand during the day. As you probably know already, 1 or 2 hours of exposure are

enough to be burned by the sun, and it's always a game for the girls to spot the ''noobs''

because they are white when they are fresh from the plane, and red after their first day at the beach lol

Concerning the ''clean'' beach i wouldn't be as enthousiast as you on this one

most of the homeless living in the area depose their p..e and p...o on the beach

and all the soi dogs do exactly the same thing. I walk everyday on Pattaya beach

and trust me i recomand to be careful where you walk.

I agree with you, the wide beach is probably an asset for the city and nice on the photos

however i don't remember any of the coastal cities where i lived in Europe and with the same

erosion problem having a beach being built on bigs nylon bags full of sand.

Since few days the sea is grinding the beach again, and a lot of these ugly bags start

to be visible everywhere, in par with the usual garbage deposed by the sea or the Thais

after their ''parties'' on the beach all night long, a sad view and usualy nobody seems to

be in charge of the cleaning (Except since few days, where the beach was cleaned on a daily basis, an unusual move. probably the electionscoming  tomorrow were a big boost for it)

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, PAWNEESE said:

Only Blue Trainers I can see in pic are on a service/waitress lady.   Definitely wearing a skirt if its a guy. 

Hey Ho maybe Im missing something.  Sad I feel need to mention.

More serious note ... less western farangs in future. More Chineese will love it ... and take over.  Air fares long haul gonna go up Im guessing too.

Pattaya fame gonna grow even more on internet,  in a country where huge shortage in girls.  Thailand is on Chinas doorstep. 

Just guessing / saying. ☺

Upon closer inspection perhaps you are right...a bit thick in the legs and plump kicks led to believe it was a dude

19 hours ago, BigStar said:

However, both you and the OP are really referring only to Western tourists without even being aware of any others, though they now form the majority of foreign tourists to Pattaya.

So then, would these new gentrified venues appeal to Russian, Asian, even Indian tourists? Hard to imagine, either, since we hold only silly, stereotypical bigoted views of these groups. But recognizing the broad range tourists within the latter groups, and their numbers, I think it's quite possible. There--I dared say it! ???? I guess there's some question, though, whether these venues can last long enough for the return of all the international tourists. 

If you are referrring to me as the OP I'm perfectly aware of the current and likely future trend in the composition of the tourist market here, just because you don't agree with our viewpoint doesn't make us any less informed about or aware of where we live.

I was giving my first hand impression of a particular venue where I thought the product on offer was poor, at the end of the day that's what determines success and longevity in the crowded Pattaya marketplace, not which nationalities it attracts.

I can't vouch for the attractiveness of other places I haven't been to for customers wherever they are from. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BigStar said:

Um, well, it's a bit early, innit? You didn't go during a holiday when most of the Thais are in town. And plenty of purely farang venues may have no foreigners in them either, nowadays. "Foreigners" should also include the non-Western tourists.

So, wait and see. They may all fail before international tourism even opens back up anyway.  

I don't disagree with you on any of that, you'd like to think that the new places that have opened since we entered the current situation are taking a long term view with the financial reserves to see it through. The Wetherspoons on Beach Road is a venue I will follow with interest.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kinyara said:

The Wetherspoons on Beach Road is a venue I will follow with interest.

I wouldn't like to be the owner

i walk in front of this place everyday

the boss has done a good job with the place and he seems to be a nice guy

however so far it's empty most of the time and i don't see any

change coming in the next 6 months. I wonder how much money

he has already lose on it and how much more he is ready to lose

Pattaya has more couples and families but you fail to mention that they have been Russian, Indian and Chinese rather than the westerners who previously dominated. 

These newish groups are largely not into the existing bar and nightlife scene. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kinyara said:

If you are referrring to me as the OP I'm perfectly aware of the current and likely future trend in the composition of the tourist market here

See if this helps: The Meaning of 'OP' in Online Conversation

4 hours ago, kinyara said:

just because you don't agree with our viewpoint doesn't make us any less informed about or aware of where we live.

Depends on the individual poster himself, not my agreement. Some are very well informed, others somewhat, and still others uninformed and downright misinformed while insisting to the contrary. A high proportion of non-residents and trolls in the latter.????

But then responders also have to deal with the accuracy of the conclusions reached on the basis of the information, real or imagined, based on the logic, common sense, context (including historical precedent), and, quite commonly, the bias or ignorant bigotry applied by the poster. Again, we have a wide range of accuracy on display here. Typically, however, the rebuttal will be that any conclusion is merely an opinion and any opinion is just as good as any other, except TAT's. ????

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

I wouldn't like to be the owner

i walk in front of this place everyday

the boss has done a good job with the place and he seems to be a nice guy

however so far it's empty most of the time and i don't see any

change coming in the next 6 months. I wonder how much money

he has already lose on it and how much more he is ready to lose

It must be an investment for the long-term future, post Covid. All the bars and some restaurants on Klang between 2nd Road and Beach Rd have gone so a little less competition for him. A return to normalcy looks further away just now but the New Year could see a brighter light at the end of the tunnel, courtesy of vaccination programmes.

I wish them well.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 6:45 AM, jacko45k said:

I think there are opportunities to buy up property at bargain basement prices from those in dire straits. A place along the front will again have inflated value. 

Location Location.  I agree, a place on Beach Road will hold its value.  What about all the places on small soi's?  

On 12/17/2020 at 6:46 AM, jacko45k said:

Why certainly not the beach.... it is quite a good one and beats many others in Thailand?

Imported sand and dirty sea water (pre covid) but you are right, it's better than many others in Thailand.  ????

On 12/17/2020 at 6:47 AM, Tagged said:

What do you think will bring more money than a punter who complain about beer prices, and short time is to expensive and travel alone, than a family who is willing to use money? 

Pattaya's reputation alone does not attract families, and mum and dad still likes to drink beer / alcohol, so if a sex tourists finds F & B expensive, chances are, so does mum and dad.  

What I have seen lately, is Thais enter typical tourist places and hotels where it almost solely was foreingers before.

Yes, and we have seen a complaint to the police about the price of food.  ????

And last, many of those who owns bars, restaurants and guest houses already passed retirement age long time ago, burned out their last reserves? Who is going to replace them the next years. I do not believe there is enough falangs left or enough falangs who is going to take over those places in near future. 

There will also be a decline in the numbers of expat retirees here.  Pensions, from all around the world, are just not providing the lifestyle they used to in Thailand.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, champers said:

It must be an investment for the long-term future, post Covid. All the bars and some restaurants on Klang between 2nd Road and Beach Rd have gone so a little less competition for him. A return to normalcy looks further away just now but the New Year could see a brighter light at the end of the tunnel, courtesy of vaccination programmes.

I wish them well.

Competition isn't a problem if there is enough customers

and if you have a competitor advantage on something, the location

the quality of your product, the price, the concept and so on.

As you write it correctly, there is no one left at the moment

hence all the bars and restaurants already gone in this area

Even if you stand the last on the place, if there is no any customer left

you can not make any money. And the functioning costs are still running.

I get it it's a long term investissment, however how many months\years he can afford

to lose money before to start to have some returns on the investisment?

How many years it would take before to even catch the previous months of losses?

As soon as the tourists will return, his competitors will return too

his place is good for the view, but he can attract only the pedestrians

there is no any possibility to park your scooter or your car in front or not far from 

his bar\restaurant. And for differents reasons the Thais and the expats don't like to walk.

That's left only the foreign tourists on their feet or using the bathbus, they are not the

most wealthy imo. 

If you think the vaccination program, wich start in may 2021 in Thailand, is going to 

stop the quarantine, i am sorry but you are wrong.

And the Thais aren't going to exempt someone from quarantine just because

he is showing a piece of paper indicating a vaccination.

I am sorry i really would like to find something positive in the picture, but at the moment i don't see any.

Edited by kingofthemountain

29 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Competition isn't a problem if there is enough customers

and if you have a competitor advantage on something, the location

the quality of your product, the price, the concept and so on.

As you write it correctly, there is no one left at the moment

hence all the bars and restaurants already gone in this area

Even if you stand the last on the place, if there is no any customer left

you can not make any money. And the functioning costs are still running.

I get it it's a long term investissment, however how many months\years he can afford

How many years it would take before to even catch the previous months of losses?

As soon as the tourists will return, his competitors will return too

his place is good for the view, but he can attract only the pedestrians

there is no any possibility to park your scooter or your car in front or not far from 

his bar\restaurant. And for differents reasons the Thais and the expats don't like to walk.

That's left only the foreign tourists on their feet or using the bathbus, they are not the

most wealthy imo. 

If you think the vaccination program, wich start in may 2021 in Thailand, is going to 

stop the quarantine, i am sorry but you are wrong.

I am sorry i really would like to find something positive in the picture, but at the moment i don't see any.

Some of his potential competitors on Klang will not return; they have been completely demolished. Others may build on the vacant land in due course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

Those losses compound.  For every month there are no profits, the loss on the initial outlay compounds, as well as all the other operating costs compounding, month after month. 

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

It will be interesting to see what the Thai government will accept as proof of vaccination. 

Then, you have the issue of the vaccination only being 95% effective.  So, that's 5 tourists out of a100 tourists that MAY be infected. 

Even if the percentage of that 5% is small, given the nature of the amount of contact a tourist will have with local Thai's in hotels, restaurants, cafes, massage, nightclubs, bars etc, and it only takes 1 to spread the virus widely, the Thai government may still deem it as too much of a risk.  

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 8:57 PM, Yahooka said:

That will never happen because that`s just a bad idea and not at least,a very booooooring concept ???? !

I agreee oving the bars and such away is a bad idea but moving them off the beach. demolishing the businesses tht are encraoching on the water on walking street(are they there legally) and rebuilding walking street would not be a bad idea.  open up some shops that cater to families open up make the water side a promenade with seafood restaurants that are open air and that you do not have to wakl by the thai boxing and bar gilrs.  Make it a place for families and couples.  Open up some of the bars for dancing and such.  There are enough Bars witrh bargirls outiside of walking street that it is  no longer needed.  

This is something that happens in every city in the world. eventually the tourism changes.  Yonge street in Toronto times square in New York. are a few 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/20/2020 at 3:00 PM, champers said:

I wish them well.

I don't know how long their lease is, but competition or no competition, there's no profits to be had for the business for the foreseeable future. 

Even if some profit can materialize in the future, it's only clawing back losses from covid and low season periods in time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

I don't know how long their lease is, but competition or no competition, there's no profits to be had for the business for the foreseeable future. 

Even if some profit can materialize in the future, it's only clawing back losses from covid and low season periods in time. 

You would think the owner had good reason to open there when he did but, like you, I simply don't know what his reasoning is. It does seem to be extremely optimistic; all the same I wish them well.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 4:05 PM, champers said:

You would think the owner had good reason to open there when he did but, like you, I simply don't know what his reasoning is. It does seem to be extremely optimistic; all the same I wish them well.

I wish them well also.  Nice establishment, great location.  With decent service and reasonable pricing, it could do well. 

I hope he can hang in the game long enough for tourists to be able to come back and enjoy the place.  

• Like 1