Bangkok Bank MasterCard Debit Card

Bangkok Banks Bualuang App is capable of ATM withdrawals using QR Code and many stores accept and/or have the Tap n Go machine which is also capable of producing a QR Code that can be scanned by the Bualuang App for payment.  The App is quite handy with several other payment features. 

I'm questioning any further need for this Debit card.  The only time I use it is at the ATM or occasionally in stores that accept the Tap n Go.  Most other large purchases are made using MasterCard/Visa from Farangland Bank.  

Has anyone cancelled or considering cancelling their Bangkok Bank MasterCard Debit Card and just using the Bualuang App?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

Bangkok Banks Bualuang App is capable of ATM withdrawals using QR Code and many stores accept and/or have the Tap n Go machine which is also capable of producing a QR Code that can be scanned by the Bualuang App for payment.  The App is quite handy with several other payment features. 

I'm questioning any further need for this Debit card.  The only time I use it is at the ATM or occasionally in stores that accept the Tap n Go.  Most other large purchases are made using MasterCard/Visa from Farangland Bank.  

Has anyone cancelled or considering cancelling their Bangkok Bank MasterCard Debit Card and just using the Bualuang App?

Not me, no.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

It can prove useful in the future,....Why discontinue a resource that costs you nothing to maintain....

Duplicate systems can come in handy...

I keep multiple accounts here and in the US and it has saved me a couple of times when something not initiated by me rendered some accounts|functions unusable.....

It actually costs 300 baht per year to maintain the card.
I'm not talking about closing the account, just ditching the card.

I mention nothing about saving money for the reason of my original post.  

For my purposes of a bank account IN Thailand, the card is only serving the purpose of ATM withdrawal and the occasional Tap n Go, versus using the app.  

4 hours ago, Nowisee said:

I mention nothing about saving money for the reason of my original post.  

For my purposes of a bank account IN Thailand, the card is only serving the purpose of ATM withdrawal and the occasional Tap n Go, versus using the app.  

You have dismissed several reasons why others would not 'ditch the card' because they don't apply to you. Your reasons may not apply to everyone either so why don't you just go ahead, ditch it and be done with it?

• Like 1

My wife thinks the same as you, not worth the 300 baht for the card. I think that’s rubbish, as I see her struggling to find an ATM for her bank every time she wants to withdraw money.

The time she spends looking for one is worth 10 times that amount a year, at a minimum. Whatever, not going to start an argument about that, already told her what I think!

I actually pay more for my card, 550 baht per year, so that I can use it in any bank brand ATM without penalty.

Edited by Barnabe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You have dismissed several reasons why others would not 'ditch the card' because they don't apply to you. Your reasons may not apply to everyone either so why don't you just go ahead, ditch it and be done with it?

I did not dismiss "several" reasons,  Only commented on one which was not in my OP.  I've actually read and don't disagree with some.

Obviously my reasons may differ from others, that is why I asked this question:
"Has anyone cancelled or considering cancelling their Bangkok Bank MasterCard Debit Card and just using the Bualuang App?"  You already answered no.  Why do you feel the need to reply again?  

27 minutes ago, Barnabe said:

My wife thinks the same as you, not worth the 300 baht for the card. I think that’s rubbish, as I see her struggling to find an ATM for her bank every time she wants to withdraw money.

The time she spends looking for one is worth 10 times that amount a year, at a minimum. Whatever, not going to start an argument about that, already told her what I think!

I actually pay more for my card, 550 baht per year, so that I can use it in any bank brand ATM without penalty.

I never wrote that I think it's not worth the 300 baht.  

AGAIN... my OP mentions nothing about the 300 baht... 555 

My Original Post:

53 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

I did not dismiss "several" reasons,  Only commented on one which was not in my OP.  I've actually read and don't disagree with some.

Obviously my reasons may differ from others, that is why I asked this question:
"Has anyone cancelled or considering cancelling their Bangkok Bank MasterCard Debit Card and just using the Bualuang App?"  You already answered no.  Why do you feel the need to reply again?  

I never wrote that I think it's not worth the 300 baht.  

AGAIN... my OP mentions nothing about the 300 baht... 555 

My Original Post:

It keeps you from toting your passport around should you need to go inside and make a counter withdrawal..... Easier than waiting in an inside bank queue line during only banking hours....

Also, for travel, having ATM's on tap at the travel plazas\airports, etc is not only handy = could be helpful.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pgrahmm said:

It keeps you from toting your passport around should you need to go inside and make a counter withdrawal..... Easier than waiting in an inside bank queue line during only banking hours....

Also, for travel, having ATM's on tap at the travel plazas\airports, etc is not only handy = could be helpful.....

Valid points.  

I can't remember the last time I made a counter withdrawal.  However it reminded me that I do use the card to deposit cash at the machine (which I don't like doing anyway), so that would require me going inside the bank.  I'll experiment and see if I can do that using just my DL.   

Agree - For travel I always take a farangland credit card for travel expenses and debit card with ATM cash rebate for pulling out local currency.   I've never used my Thai bank card.   

One thing I didn't mention in my OP was security.
If anyone gets a hold of my card they can buy under 1500 baht using Tap n Go very easily, over 1500 just requires a signature, no ID verification.  
With the app, it requires Passcode/biometric to my phone and to the app.  Much more secure IMO.  

So what's the point of your query then? Do you want someone to tell you "go ahead, it's the right thing"?

No-one seems to agree with you for various reasons, but I don't see why that should influence your decision in any way. If you feel it's the right thing to do, you don't really need anyone else to tell you otherwise or to agree with you.

Edited by Barnabe
  • Like 2

Whilst on the subject of the Bangkok Bank MasterCard debit card, I have found that some places will not accept it as payment, and yes it is a debit card and it is always in positive territory, yet the big Tesco Lotus store (in Phuket) will not accept it, nor will Aetna in order to pay my health insurance!

As regards the Aetna situation, I have had to set up a direct credit from my Bangkok bank account to a new account I have opened in Siam commercial Bank, then arrange for a monthly direct debit from that account to Aetna as they don't seem to want anything to do with Bangkok Bank.

Anybody have any idea as to why this is?

1 hour ago, Nowisee said:

Valid points.  

I can't remember the last time I made a counter withdrawal.  However it reminded me that I do use the card to deposit cash at the machine (which I don't like doing anyway), so that would require me going inside the bank.  I'll experiment and see if I can do that using just my DL.   

Agree - For travel I always take a farangland credit card for travel expenses and debit card with ATM cash rebate for pulling out local currency.   I've never used my Thai bank card.   

One thing I didn't mention in my OP was security.
If anyone gets a hold of my card they can buy under 1500 baht using Tap n Go very easily, over 1500 just requires a signature, no ID verification.  
With the app, it requires Passcode/biometric to my phone and to the app.  Much more secure IMO.  

On a drive down to Bangkok from CM I popped a radiator hose about 2/3 the way down in the middle of nothing coasting into an abandoned gas station....The car had just been serviced, but radiator hoses burst from the inside out....

Everybody was great & very helpful.....The local dirty "mechanic" was summoned and said 45k minimum, and I could sense nothing but trouble....The THP had also stopped and, through him, I arranged for a flatbed tow back to CM.....He wanted to see the money first - so having an ATM (no banks around) available was a good lifeline.....It was literally the middle of nowhere.....Took the tow truck a few hours just to get there.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the MC debit card, and use it for most of our grocery shopping at Lotus and other places. It does, however, gave me trouble on some occasions. It was rejected as payment in a large BKK hospital recently, as well as Bangkok Hospital Hua Hin. Also, I have not been able to pay at Ford service, and I couldn't use the Bar Code through the Bualuang app at Macro.

Union Pay is not an option for me as I try not to support Chinese economy by any means.

I have spoken to BKK bank but nobody could give me a satisfactory explanation. One girl I know suggested that it is a debit card, and some places expect credit card, and will only process such.

But it is actually working in most places. I prefer to have a local account as it will allow me to have more control over the expenses, and don't lose money in the exchange process.

You can also set the pay and withdrawal limits through the iBanking website.

Edit: I should also say that all my cards (Visa and MC) in my off shore accounts are all debit cards only. Don't have any credit in my name.

Edited by SpaceKadet
Addition.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Barnabe said:

So what's the point of your query then? Do you want someone to tell you "go ahead, it's the right thing"?

No-one seems to agree with you for various reasons, but I don't see why that should influence your decision in any way. If you feel it's the right thing to do, you don't really need anyone else to tell you otherwise or to agree with you.

Obviously you didn't read it or understand it.
No where did I ask anyone to influence my decision or tell me otherwise or agree with me.  Your entire reply is senseless and of no use.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nowisee said:
6 hours ago, Barnabe said:

Obviously you didn't read it or understand it.
No where did I ask anyone to influence my decision or tell me otherwise or agree with me.  Your entire reply is senseless and of no use.  

In that case what did you expect ????

On 12/14/2020 at 6:39 PM, Nowisee said:

Two pages of responses with a one word response... No !!! 

• Haha 1

For years I didn't come across a Tap n Go at any shop in Pattaya. Maybe the tellers were not in the know about this function or they don't want to deal with it although you often can see almost 10 different pay terminals in a row like at HomePro. Now I have given up asking for Pay n Go just use my card with the RFID logo which they still stick into the machine. I definitely will keep my BB card handy.

• Thanks 2