Successful return to Thailand

31 minutes ago, JomtienExile said:

After nearly nine months in exile, I arrived in Bangkok yesterday afternoon on the Thai Airways repatriation flight from Sydney. 

I returned to Australia in March and endured a winter of hard lockdown and curfews in Melbourne.  In retrospect of course I should have stayed, but it was impossible then to know what would happen in Thailand with COVID.
In September I applied for the new Special Tourist Visa. I got a pro forma response but nothing ever came of this application. Don't bother with this is my advice.
In November I learned, at this forum, that my non-O Retirement Visa would again be honoured. The Thai Embassy in Canberra confirmed this by email.

I then bought the required health insurance from Pacific Cross. Since I am over 65 I had to have a full medical exam to qualify. Their Bangkok office was very helpful, but this still took two weeks to process.
I then tried to fill in the online application form for the Certificate of Entry, but was unable to make it work. It took many phone calls, with long waits, and many emails, to get the Canberra Embassy to fix this and allow me to submit the CoE form. The staff tried to be helpful but no-one seemed to be responsible for fixing the problem.

My travel agent was unable to find a direct flight. The best she could do was via Singapore with a ten-hour stopover. The Embassy then told me I could take the weekly repatriation flight out of Sydney. The 7 December flight was full but I got on the 14 December flight. I booked and paid for this direct with Thai.

I then booked and paid for a repatriation hotel. I rang through the list of eligible hotels until I found one that had a room with a balcony so I would not have to endure 14 days of hotel air-conditioning, which always makes me sick. This place is expensive by Thai standards but the room is very nice.

Then I had to wait for the CoE to arrive, which it did only on the Friday before the flight. The CoE seems to take two weeks to process even if approved, so the flight must be timed accordingly.

Once I had the CoE I could apply to the Home Affairs Department for an exit permit. I told them I would be away for at least three months. I showed them the title deed to my condo in Jomtien and the one-way air ticket. They accepted this and issued the permit without fuss. Others have not been so lucky.

Then I had to get a COVID test and a fit-to-fly letter within 72 hours of the flight. Since the flight was in on a Monday morning, this posed a problem. My GP is not available on weekends, and most public COVID test sites won't test people who don't have symptoms, and don't issue results in writing. So I had to pretend to have symptoms to get tested on Saturday morning, wait 24 hours to get the result by text message, then find a doctor available on Sunday to issue the letter. Beware that the letter must conform exactly to the wording required by the Embassy or it won't be accepted.

So I then fronted at Sydney Airport a full three hours before the flight, and this was necessary because the check-in process was slow and complicated. I had to show passport, visa, CoE, exit permit, health insurance, hotel booking, fit-to-fly and COVID test to at least five people. All were polite and helpful, but the queue was long and slow.
At Bangkok Airport we were greeted by what looked like half the Thai workforce in full barrier nursing costumes, and went through all the paperwork several times again. We were then dispatched to our quarantine hotels in sealed vans (really) and did the paperwork again on arrival. Again, everyone was polite and helpful but the process is slow. Patience is  required. The Thais are naturally edgy and anyone making a fuss will not be well received.
Nevertheless, here I am on a beautiful Bangkok winter evening, very happy to be back. I will be in quarantine for Xmas but be back home in Jomtien for New Year.
So it can be done. The process is slow, complex and expensive, and requires patience and persistence. I don't think many actual tourists will be willing to jump through all these hoops. 

One of the grounds on which Home Affairs will give you an exit permit is that you are leaving Australia for at least three months. I showed them my retirement visa, the title deed to my condo, and my one-way air ticket, and I told them I had given up my Melbourne apartment, which is true. I said I would stay in Thailand until the travel and quarantine restrictions in Australia are ended, which I think will be at least six months away. They accepted that and gave me the permit in 24 hours. They were a lot harder to persuade a few months ago I am told.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JomtienExile said:

One of the grounds on which Home Affairs will give you an exit permit is that you are leaving Australia for at least three months. I showed them my retirement visa, the title deed to my condo, and my one-way air ticket, and I told them I had given up my Melbourne apartment, which is true. I said I would stay in Thailand until the travel and quarantine restrictions in Australia are ended, which I think will be at least six months away. They accepted that and gave me the permit in 24 hours. They were a lot harder to persuade a few months ago I am told.

ok, thanks for that info.

So what carrier did you use on the first flight out of Australia, if i may ask?

Having mentioned Singapore, im presuming Singapore airlines?

Did you notice any other ports one can fly to from Australia?

And is there many other carriers doing one way outbound from Australia?

Thanks in advance.

Im sure many other Aussies would appreciate this info,

if just to give us little light at the end of the tunnel from what seems like never-ending imprisonment here.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Pookondee: As I noted, I flew on the Thai Airways repatriation flight from Sydney. As far as I know there are currently no scheduled direct flights from Australia to Bangkok. If you don't get on the repat flight, you have to fly indirect with Singapore or Qatar, both of which involve long stopovers. But this will no doubt change in the new year as demand starts to pick up again.

BudRight: Yes I can see how the 72-hour requirement is complicated for you coming across the IDL. Fortunately not a problem for me ????

Good luck to you, did you have a reentry permit on an existing retirement extension of a non O Visa? Does this mean that the THai Embassy in Canberra is enforcing health insurance which is not actually required on existing exensions (not the stand alone Covid insurance) ?

5 hours ago, JomtienExile said:

exit permit

Well isnt that an infringement to your rights. Why do u need a permit? IMO u r a n adult and should be able to travel wherever possible. If the other country is ready to take u in , in the current covid circumstances , why do u need a permit from your home government. But i suppose i am no one to say that, 

because no matter what, asutralia has done great job in handling the virus. 

4 hours ago, JomtienExile said:

I love the smell of Bangkok in the morning. ????

I love the sounds coming from the other rooms in my hotel all night

4 hours ago, Pravda said:

All this effort to come to this

Screenshot-20201215-095205.jpg

I live in 300-400 AQI. 

We are all OK. 

1 hour ago, lovethai123 said:

Well isnt that an infringement to your rights. Why do u need a permit? IMO u r a n adult and should be able to travel wherever possible. If the other country is ready to take u in , in the current covid circumstances , why do u need a permit from your home government. But i suppose i am no one to say that, 

because no matter what, asutralia has done great job in handling the virus. 

I love the sounds coming from the other rooms in my hotel all night

I live in 300-400 AQI. 

We are all OK. 

U love Thai too mutt

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Pravda said:

U love Thai too mutt

The fact is no matter how much i badmouth thailand, the only reason i am so vocal is because of the terrible attitude of young thais and their hostility towards foreigners. otherwise there is no country like thailand where there are so many girls easily available.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Good for you.

You sound like a mature adult who understood the circumstances and was willing to make adjustments and compromises.  

Good luck with the rest of your quarantine and Merry Xmas.  You will be here for New Years so great.

7 hours ago, BudRight said:

I came in from the US on a tourist visa on Friday and am now in quarantine. I had a much easier time than the OP getting the documents I needed.

For my fit to fly letter, I used https://quick.md/ they got me a fit to fly letter in minutes for $75

For my insurance I used https://covid19.tgia.org/
For my COVID test I went to Mayo clinic who turned it around in about 20 hours

I booked my semi-commercial flight through a travel agent suggested on the Thai Embassy DC website. They update this frequently. It was one way, and I purchased an ordinary return ticket separately to satisfy the requirement. 
For ASQ I picked a pretty cheap option which is okay so far.

Anyway good luck people.

Edit:

I wanted to add the following advice:

1. When you travel, make sure to carry all of your documents at least in duplicate. They will be checked by many people and some of them may wish to keep copies. You should let them, so have backups. Duplicate was enough for me but in hindsight I might have even gone triplicate. 

2. Make sure the 72 hours for your fit to fly and covid test results are are within 72 hours of you arriving in Bangkok Thailand time, because I don't see how they would know to back calculate time zones and realize it's actually technically yesterday in the US or whatever. Better to get fit to fly and COVID results the day before you fly at the earliest. I got multiple COVID tests so that that at least one would come in on the right date.

I did have an easier time with the COVID test because in the US where I live we have completely free asymptomatic testing whenever you want. Mayo wanted symptomatic testing only but I explained the need for the flight and they allowed me to test anyway.

Good for you.

I went to visit my family.havnt been home for nearly 11 months.

It took me 2 weeks from the time I applied for coe. And fly to Sydney for repatriation flight.

I arrived back in Australia 4th December.

Quarantine in Australia is a lot harder. You literally locked in your room for 2 weeks.

I did most of my studies on the face book pages.

Also register with Australian embassy in Thailand.

They have repatriation flights back to Oz every Sunday until march.

Best of luck to you.

As others have suggested, use the Thai Government covid  insurance (https://covid19.tgia.org/)

This has no age restrictions (in fact age does not affect the cost). The country of origin affects the cost. 90 days coverage for an Australian is 3,000 or 4,000 Baht. Maybe 10 times this for someone from America or the UK.

The online form only takes 15 minutes to fill out and your policy is issued instantly in the required format. It is also accessible to Thai Government departments, including immigration, embassies and airlines.

• Thanks 1

Good detailed report.    I'm curious if you would have got any refunds on ASQ or flight  if  your COE didn't show  up or tested positive?

A difference for me is I would also have to book post ASQ accommodations and maybe a return  flight.  Maybe I will stay home and get my rotator cuff fixed.   

• Like 1

Lovethai123: "The only reason i am so vocal is because of the terrible attitude of young thais and their hostility towards foreigners. otherwise there is no country like thailand where there are so many girls easily available."

Has it occurred to you that this attitude towards Thai women is why so many young Thais dislike foreigners? (I must say I haven't noticed such dislike in the 16 years I've been coming here, but maybe I've been lucky.)

Elski: the hotels say they are flexible on dates but won't refund if you can't get into the country. I don't know about the Thai flight. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JomtienExile said:

Bluetongue: I have a non-O retirement visa which I obtained in March just before I left. I also have a re-entry permit valid until mid 2021. The Embassy advised me that the visa is now activated again but not the re-entry permit, so I had to obtain a new Certificate of Entry. The compulsory health insurance is a new thing as far as I know. This will be a problem for older exiles if they have health issues. Fortunately I'm a fit and healthy 67yo and passed the medical exam with no problems. I bought from Blue Cross because I can afford a more comprehensive policy but I know there are cheaper alternatives. My approach was to do exactly what the Thai Embassy told me, no matter what the cost. Now that I'm not paying rent in Melbourne I will recoup the full cost of getting back here if I stay for six months.
image.png.87ea46cd20ecf764d9970626392eff68.png
This by the way is the form that your COVID test must follow or it won't be accepted. 

Thanks for the detailed post and the copy of the Covid 19 test certificate.

I have to ask: is the image you've posted the entire certificate? The certificate doesn't have any header or footer graphics from the clinic in question, no stamp, no reference number, no security features. If that's all there is to it, it would seem incredibly easy to fake one. It's quite strangely worded and I can't help but notice the doc lists her qualification as 'MBBs' not 'MBBS', plus the test is described as 'TRPCR' not RT-PCR. Still, if it's good enough for the Thai authorities etc etc ...

Good luck with the quarantine.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JomtienExile said:

Once I had the CoE I could apply to the Home Affairs Department for an exit permit.

I am in the process of applying for an exemption to leave Australia. On the homeaffairs.gov.au website under outward travel restrictions - operation directive it states persons traveling more than 3 months must make and submit a Declaration of Intent. Did you have to do one and if so what format did it take? In regards to the CoE, I have contacted the Thai Embassy and have been told "If you are holding the marriage certificate with Thai nationality, you are entitled to obtain the Certificate of Entry and Visa" which I am. Will Home Affairs accept this assurance given the CoE is not issued until shortly before your flight. In closing, would it be possible to message you for advice if I come unstuck?

14 hours ago, pookondee said:

So what carrier did you use on the first flight out of Australia, if i may ask?

Having mentioned Singapore, im presuming Singapore airlines?

pookondee, Singapore Airlines fly out of Brisbane daily and have one way fares for February/March 2021, starting at $659 Australian. I recommend you call and speak to a customer service advisor before booking online. They run you through their procedure which I found most helpful. In regards to travel over 3 months see my previous entry re Declaration of intent. Hopefully JomtienExile can bring us up to speed on this issue.