These Are The Greatest Guitarists Of All Time

ChipButty

4 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

And let's not forget when Jimi Hendrix mopped the floor with Eric Clapton in a small club in London, before Jimi was even heard of. Clapton was so shaken he didn't touch the guitar for several days. 

Clapton the greatest? naaah!

IMO Jimi was not the most technical guitarist but no one comes close to getting feeling and emotion out of a guitar and thats why for me he is the GOAT

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Mark Knopfler is a guitarist, singer, songwriter, and record producer who is best known for being the lead guitarist and singer of the band the Dire Straits. He has also composed and produced film scores for films like The Princess Bride, Local Hero, and Wag the Dog. He is considered to be a guitar virtuoso and is known for his fingerstyle playing.

Mark-Knopfler-20201118155702-20201118155702.jpg

My personal favorite....You never hear a missed/slipped/run fret - string squeak...

His capacity to play,compose, & produce quality music of all genres seems endless....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

And let's not forget when Jimi Hendrix mopped the floor with Eric Clapton in a small club in London, before Jimi was even heard of. Clapton was so shaken he didn't touch the guitar for several days. 

Clapton the greatest? naaah!

Was that when Clapton was Derick and the Dominoes? 

Duane Allman was the founder and leader of the Allman Brother Band. He was known for his expressive slide guitar skills and incredible improvisation abilities. He later became an in-demand session musician for many well-known names in the industry, including Aretha Franklin and Herbie Mann. Tragically, he was killed in a motorcycle crash when he was just 24 years old.

Duane-Allman-20201118154810-20201118154810.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Has a nice sound....A good bit sounds like repeated guitar exercises....

There a probably many great and amazing flaminco style guitar players that we will never know about....Also, many before recordings were made....

We only get to see the one's that play within our musical tastes - and decided to become public entertainers....

• Like 2

Chuck Berry was one of the pioneers of rock and roll, which is why he earned the name the “Father of Rock and Roll.” His refinement of rhythm and blues helped shape the early iterations of rock music. His distinctive sound can be heard in hit songs like “Maybelline,” “Roll Over Beethoven.” and “Johnny B. Goode.” He was hugely influential for future generations of rock musicians.

Chuck-Berry-20201118155204-20201118155204.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Frank Zappa was best known for his guitar abilities but he was multi-instrumental, a composer, singer, songwriter, and band leader.  He was known for his work’s non-conformity, free form improvisation style, and sound experiments. He was an open critic of American society as well as organized religion. His musical style ranged from rock, jazz, classical, doo-wop, jazz fusion, and much more. Sadly, he passed away from cancer in 1993 when he was 52 years old.

Frank-Zappa-20201118155322-20201118155322.jpg

John Petrucci is a progressive rock guitarist, best known for being a founding member of the band Dream Theater. Since 2011, he has produced all of the band’s albums on his own. Additionally, Petrucci has released solo albums. Premier Guitar has said he is: “one of the best who’s ever laid a hand on a fretboard.

John-Petrucci-20201118155412-20201118155412.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, poohy said:

What about Albert Lee !

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!  to me the finest country-rock guitarist EVER!

I have 20 CDs and have seen him at least a dozen times over the years, latterly along with "Hogan's Heroes".

He has played with many of the greats too, Clapton, Emmylou Harris (Hot Band) and not everyone knows that he also featured with Chas 'n' Dave on several occasions.

This is from one of the gigs I attended  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_q1ajukRYo

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Was that when Clapton was Derick and the Dominoes? 

I don't know when Clapton was with Derek and the Dominoes. This incident allegedly happened towards the end of 1966 probably at "The Scotch of St. James" club, before Jimi's hit "Hey Joe". I think Clapton was with Cream then.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

I don't know when Clapton was with Derek and the Dominoes. This incident allegedly happened towards the end of 1966 probably at "The Scotch of St. James" club, before Jimi's hit "Hey Joe". I think Clapton was with Cream then.

Derek and the Dominos were an English–American blues-rock band formed in the spring of 1970 by guitarist and singer Eric Clapton, keyboardist and singer Bobby Whitlock, bassist Carl Radle and drummer Jim Gordon. All four members had previously played together in Delaney & Bonnie and Friends, during and after Clapton's brief tenure with Blind Faith. Dave Mason supplied additional lead guitar on early studio sessions and played at their first live gig. Another participant at their first session as a band was George Harrison, the recording for whose album All Things Must Pass marked the formation of Derek and the Dominos.

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

I believe it was at NL Poly where Cream were playing and nobody had ever heard of Hendrix. Eric bought him a rare left handed guitar but he died just before he had a chance to give it to him. Always the greatest IMO, here they were short of film and somebody handed him a 12 string, it was not his. The other clip is at his and Kathy's flat in Brook st, now a museum well worth a visit, you can gaze into the same mirror he did!

You are right, found it!

"On October 1, 1966, Chandler brought Hendrix to the London Polytechnic at Regent Street, where Cream was scheduled to perform, and where Hendrix and guitarist Eric Clapton met.[117] Clapton later said: "He asked if he could play a couple of numbers. I said, 'Of course', but I had a funny feeling about him."[113] Halfway through Cream's set, Hendrix took the stage and performed a frantic version of the Howlin' Wolf song "Killing Floor".[113] In 1989, Clapton described the performance: "He played just about every style you could think of, and not in a flashy way. I mean he did a few of his tricks, like playing with his teeth and behind his back, but it wasn't in an upstaging sense at all, and that was it ... He walked off, and my life was never the same again"...

The rest here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimi_Hendrix

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Mick Taylor is a guitarist who is best known for his time in the Rolling Stones from 1969 until 1974 and John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers in 1967 through 1969. Taylor appeared in some of the Stone’s most classic albums, including Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main St.

Mick-Taylor-20201118155023-20201118155023.jpg

As you mentioned John Mayall, the "Father of British Blues" how about Buddy Whittington

and in this clip, he and Eric Clapton are sort of "jousting" Watch the look of admiration on Clapton's face. I actually think Whittington's better.

If you get a chance to see this whole concert (John Mayall's 70th Birthday) please take it.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1