These Are The Greatest Guitarists Of All Time

ChipButty

In addition to my first post here some guys that may have been forgotten:

Robben Ford plays "Don't deny your love":

Nguyen Lê playing "Cloud Chambers" (Nguyen has produced some extremely phantastic records !):

Larry Carlton & Lee Ritenour play "Room 335":

...and then there are Pat Metheny, George Benson, Bill Frisell and countless others.....

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

John Petrucci is a progressive rock guitarist, best known for being a founding member of the band Dream Theater. Since 2011, he has produced all of the band’s albums on his own. Additionally, Petrucci has released solo albums. Premier Guitar has said he is: “one of the best who’s ever laid a hand on a fretboard.

John-Petrucci-20201118155412-20201118155412.jpg

Petrucci is definitely in my top ten list. Regarded as one of the fastest guitarists, but also a great composer. 

Just listen to his solos on "The best of times" or "Breaking all illusions", And he can just go from melodic harmonies to Metal shredding in an instant.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Jeff Beck is a guitarist who was one of the three prominent guitarists who have played with the Yardbirds (the other two being Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page). He recorded two successful solo albums but has appeared on many other famous artists’ albums, including Rod Stewart, Mick Jagger, Tina Turner, Morrissey, John Bon Jovi, ZZ Top, Cyndi Lauper, and many more.

Jeff-Beck-20201118160514-20201118160514.jpg

Funny story about Jeff. Way back when he invited to Slash to play on one of his records. They were sitting in the studio having a conversation and while talking to Slash he simultaneously played all this really amazing stuff on the guitar without breaking a sweat. Slash later said that he wanted to give up playing the guitar that day and become an insurance salesman! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Funny story about Jeff. Way back when he invited to Slash to play on one of his records. They were sitting in the studio having a conversation and while talking to Slash he simultaneously played all this really amazing stuff on the guitar without breaking a sweat. Slash later said that he wanted to give up playing the guitar that day and become an insurance salesman! 

Similar story concerning Lemmy (bassist with Hawkwind and Motorhead)

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/lemmy-the-final-interview-i-was-born-to-play-the-bass

"He began playing rock & roll in 1964 in Blackpool, England with the rowdy Rockin’ Vickers, and he had a near-mythical stint as a roadie for Jimi Hendrix shortly before joining his first professional outfit, the heavy prog-rock band Hawkwind."

Early Lemmy - (in the stripey jacket) not the finest musicianship but good fun

I recall reading somewhere that Lemmy wanted to be a lead guitarist, but after hearing Hendrix, decided he could never be as good as Hendrix, so "settled" for the bass instead.

True or not....I have no idea! ????

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, VBF said:

Similar story concerning Lemmy (bassist with Hawkwind and Motorhead)

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/lemmy-the-final-interview-i-was-born-to-play-the-bass

"He began playing rock & roll in 1964 in Blackpool, England with the rowdy Rockin’ Vickers, and he had a near-mythical stint as a roadie for Jimi Hendrix shortly before joining his first professional outfit, the heavy prog-rock band Hawkwind."

Early Lemmy - (in the stripey jacket) not the finest musicianship but good fun

I recall reading somewhere that Lemmy wanted to be a lead guitarist, but after hearing Hendrix, decided he could never be as good as Hendrix, so "settled" for the bass instead.

True or not....I have no idea! ????

Was that Reverend Black and the Rocking Vicars? if so I've seen them I'll find something on them

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

In addition to my first post here some guys that may have been forgotten:

Robben Ford plays "Don't deny your love":

Nguyen Lê playing "Cloud Chambers" (Nguyen has produced some extremely phantastic records !):

Larry Carlton & Lee Ritenour play "Room 335":

...and then there are Pat Metheny, George Benson, Bill Frisell and countless others.....

Yep George Benson is up there with the best but he was more Blues 

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I believe it was at NL Poly where Cream were playing and nobody had ever heard of Hendrix. Eric bought him a rare left handed guitar but he died just before he had a chance to give it to him. Always the greatest IMO, here they were short of film and somebody handed him a 12 string, it was not his. The other clip is at his and Kathy's flat in Brook st, now a museum well worth a visit, you can gaze into the same mirror he did!

A few more details of the film clip here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear_My_Train_A_Comin'

I remember seeing the film 'Jimi Hendrix' which came out in 1973 which includes the 12 string film and still have the vinyl...  Greatest? - Quite probably.

I'd nominate Nick Drake for acoustic but no-one's heard of him....

3 hours ago, anchadian said:

This has to be my favorite video of Eric Clapton singing 'Layla' back in 1999.

Eric was too sick too play on the Original Layla.....H. The stand in guitar player who did all the famous licks was Duane Allman.

5 hours ago, vogie said:

I don't believe anybody has mentioned Chet Atkins, an inspiration to many in his day and Chuck Berry another great guitarist.

You cannot mention Chet Atkins without mentioning the man who inspired him and many others finger style Guitarists the great Merle Travis!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Frank Zappa was best known for his guitar abilities but he was multi-instrumental, a composer, singer, songwriter, and band leader.  He was known for his work’s non-conformity, free form improvisation style, and sound experiments. He was an open critic of American society as well as organized religion. His musical style ranged from rock, jazz, classical, doo-wop, jazz fusion, and much more. Sadly, he passed away from cancer in 1993 when he was 52 years old.

Frank-Zappa-20201118155322-20201118155322.jpg

Agreed, and lumbered his daughter up with the name "Moon Unit" at the same time!

• Like 2

This is straight from the members of Cream be sure to watch the video it was great. Contrary to what some answered the truth is yes that did happen.

He Killed God, Man! He Killed Clapton!”

“He Killed God, Man! He Killed Clapton!” was the collective cry of disbelief when Jimi Hendrix

plugged his Fender Stratocaster into a nearby bass amp one night while jamming with Eric Clapton’s Cream

and proceeded to shred his way through ‘Killing Floor’ – a song Clapton loved but had previously written off as being “too difficult”.

Hendrix performed all sorts of theatrics that became his claim to fame; divebombs, playing with his teeth, playing behind his head and all the while, never missing a note! Who on earth besides Jimi Hendrix would have the sheer audacity to get up there and not only take over Cream’s set, but completely annihilate Clapton the Guitar God?

No one. That’s what makes Jimi Hendrix so special and such a legend among guitar geeks everywhere. He was lightyears ahead of his time and completely fearless – he was never afraid to let his guitar guide him where it wanted him to go, and even the now-embarrassed Eric Clapton had to bow down and acknowledge this shy kid from the U.S. with way too much talent.

• Like 1

Wot no Dave Gilmour? How about Eric Johnson and the jack of all trades, Guthrie Govan (check out Erotic Cakes).

Good to see Mason Williams in the mix, the guitar part for the original Classical Gas earned me a fail on my Grade 6 because it’s so dull without the haut production. Mason makes amends and kills it!

Petrucci though? Urgh, along with Bonamassa they’ve learned to paint by numbers and they’re so good at it, it’s like listening to something you’ve heard a million times before.

12 hours ago, sirineou said:

Arguably the Greatest guitar player Jimi Hendrix, He said 

"When asked in an interview what he thought about being the best guitarist in the world, Hendrix said, “You think I’m the best in the world because you haven’t heard the Greek guy.” When asked who the Greek guy was, Hendrix replied, “Manolis Hiotis. When you listen to him playing, then you will know who the best is.

Hendrix supposedly said the same about Johnny Winter. ????

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, bobandyson said:

Hendrix supposedly said the same about Johnny Winter. ????

A saw Johnny Winter at a free concert at Battery park NYC , late seventies early eighties, can't remember. He was great, or I was more stoned than I think I was. LOL

Anyway, though a great song, I an not a fan of slide guitar, IMO I consider it a cheat. , but that's my opinion.

I think the below is a  song more indicative of his dexterity. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2