"New lifestyle - Safe Driving - No accidents" - that's the New Year aim for Bangkok's roads!

webfact

Total nonsense. Why? The primary reason is the toy police force. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously. There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government (weak Little P.) and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis. They will not do a thing. Why? They do not care about the people one iota. Not the common people. Not the average pleb. No way. Never have cared, and may never care in the future. It is all about protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, and those in power. The rest of the population? They do not matter. The ex-pat community does not matter.

And the police will not get involved unless an accident has already occurred. There is no prevention. None. The idea of getting the police more involved, is an interesting one, and it would be an effective one. But, the issue is money. They are grossly underpaid, and until the government steps up, and spends the trillion baht on updating the police equipment, and paying each cop a living wage, it is not going to happen. Until then, they will just work the franchise.

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law.

When I was growing up, we took drivers education courses. They showed us horrendous films, or semi trucks plowing into cars, and literally obliterating everything in their path. They also showed us graphic images of head on collisions. 120mph impacts. Even as a young kid, it made quite an impression. It was horrific, and it was hard to get those images out of your head afterwards. But, it left a lasting impression, and when I started driving, I understood it was serious business, and that it was a very dangerous thing to do. I also got alot of training from my Mom on driving. Do Thais get similar training?

I see people driving here, with their families in the car, and doing things, and taking the kinds of risks no rational or sane person with common sense would do. What for? To gain one minute? Why take those risks? What is the logic? Often, when I am cruising along at 100kph, someone cuts right in front of me. Or someone comes out from the side road, right in front of me. I have to slam on my brakes, or change lanes to avoid him. I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me. So, if he had waited two seconds, he would have had completely safe passage onto the highway. What gives? Where is the intelligence, caution, and prudence? Where is the common sense? What about just the survival instinct?

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 12:25 PM, webfact said:

Praphas Leuangsirinapha of the Traffic and Transport Department said he was working to reduce accidents under the banner of "New Lifestyle - Safe Driving - No Accidents". 

How about this one:

"No killing, no dying". Easier to remember and makes the real point clear. 

Or not. 

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Total nonsense. Why? The primary reason is the toy police force. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously. There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government (weak Little P.) and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis. They will not do a thing. Why? They do not care about the people one iota. Not the common people. Not the average pleb. No way. Never have cared, and may never care in the future. It is all about protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, and those in power. The rest of the population? They do not matter. The ex-pat community does not matter.

And the police will not get involved unless an accident has already occurred. There is no prevention. None. The idea of getting the police more involved, is an interesting one, and it would be an effective one. But, the issue is money. They are grossly underpaid, and until the government steps up, and spends the trillion baht on updating the police equipment, and paying each cop a living wage, it is not going to happen. Until then, they will just work the franchise.

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law.

When I was growing up, we took drivers education courses. They showed us horrendous films, or semi trucks plowing into cars, and literally obliterating everything in their path. They also showed us graphic images of head on collisions. 120mph impacts. Even as a young kid, it made quite an impression. It was horrific, and it was hard to get those images out of your head afterwards. But, it left a lasting impression, and when I started driving, I understood it was serious business, and that it was a very dangerous thing to do. I also got alot of training from my Mom on driving. Do Thais get similar training?

I see people driving here, with their families in the car, and doing things, and taking the kinds of risks no rational or sane person with common sense would do. What for? To gain one minute? Why take those risks? What is the logic? Often, when I am cruising along at 100kph, someone cuts right in front of me. Or someone comes out from the side road, right in front of me. I have to slam on my brakes, or change lanes to avoid him. I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me. So, if he had waited two seconds, he would have had completely safe passage onto the highway. What gives? Where is the intelligence, caution, and prudence? Where is the common sense? What about just the survival instinct?

Spider Mike spot on as usual We all the know the problem and they wear brown uniforms  We have all seen how they drive but when they have no fear of the law they just carry on. Merry Xmas mike may we survive another year because many thai drivers wont

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's the result of a meetings culture prevalent in many large badly run organisations.

1. Define a problem

2. Organise a meeting or better a series of meetings

3. Produce and publish a report

4. do not implement any practical measures whatsoever

5. Carry on as before

When the issue arises again point to the report and state that the issue was addressed and it isn't your fault that the issue still exists. You have done your job, you have had a meeting and you have talked about it end of story.

On 12/23/2020 at 12:31 PM, colinneil said:

Stop with crazy headlines like this, i nearly spilt my coffee.????

Safe driving, hello this is Thailand, very few know how to drive, let alone how to drive safely.

STOP POSTING ON HERE.....YOUR MAKING ME LAUGH TOOOO MUUCH.....

HAVE YOU CAUGHT THE TURKEY YET????

• Haha 1

On 12/23/2020 at 3:25 PM, ourmanflint said:

The Thai govt cannot control how people drive, but the very least they can do is to make sure vehicles on the road are safe.

What is the Thai equivalent of an MOT? 

FOR cars and trucks.....must have a test after 7 yrs old.....for motorbikes.....think must have one after fifth birthday.....

Maybe someone should tell the police to enforce traffic laws everyday anytime. I am sure that would help a lot.

Or is that idea just too radical?

Ok, how about enforcing at least some laws sometimes? But it seems even that it too much work for the BiB.

Now why are there so many accidents in Thailand? It's must be a coincidence. 

• Like 1