Outbreak in Samut Sakhon rises above 1,200 cases

webfact

19 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

You don't get it

we are talking about control at a border of a province

if someone asymptomatic want to go out of the proince, he is stopped at the check point

and with no temperature he is allowed to go outside of the province to spread the virus

that's the main problem and it's why the check point is useless imo, the only option is a total lockdown

on the province it you don't want the spreding all over the country (I am afraid it's already too late)

I do get it. And I have explained it to you. Are you suggesting there should be no testing because some people are asymptomatic? The authorities find who they an who are showing symptoms and then can trace and track back to those contacts who were asymptomatic but potentially infected.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Nout said:

I do get it. And I have explained it to you. Are you suggesting there should be no testing because some people are asymptomatic? The authorities find who they an who are showing symptoms and then can trace and track back to those contacts who were asymptomatic but potentially infected.

Thailand’s Disease Control Department director-general announced that the 576 new cases were discovered after Covid-19 testing that included 1,192 migrant workers. 90% were asymptomatic. They have expressed concern that Samut Sakhon shares provincial borders with Greater Bangkok.

If you can not understand what you read sorry but i can not help you more

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Domestics tourists are also tourists

a Thai can be a tourist in his own country if he visits a different area from where he is living

I am aware of this. But you can't scare people away who are already here. Domestic tourists already live in Thailand so your comment about scaring (domestic) tourists away makes no sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kingofthemountain said:

Thailand’s Disease Control Department director-general announced that the 576 new cases were discovered after Covid-19 testing that included 1,192 migrant workers. 90% were asymptomatic. They have expressed concern that Samut Sakhon shares provincial borders with Greater Bangkok.

If you can not understand what you read sorry but i can not help you more

If some cases are asymptomatic all the more reason to test as many people as possible and then use test and TRACE to follow up on known contacts

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

You don't know how to use google?  Maybe you should before to question my words

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/548-cases-in-one-day-samut-sakhon

from the article

''Thailand’s Disease Control Department director-general announced that the 576 new cases were discovered after Covid-19 testing that included 1,192 migrant workers. 90% were asymptomatic. They have expressed concern that Samut Sakhon shares provincial borders with Greater Bangkok.''

You are welcome

Yup, there it is. Never heard of 90% of positive cases being asymptomatic. Research indicates 20 to 30%. Interesting...

The Thai MoPH has an EN website where they post CV situation updates and news releases, though it's usually somewhat late.

Curiously, the most recent EN language "press release" there for the country's COVID status is dated Weds., Dec. 23, and makes absolutely no mention of the Samut Sakhon cases, dealing only with relatively few imported cases.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/news.php

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/news/news_no209_230863.pdf

They also have a separate section on the same site for EN language "situation reports," but the last one of those posted as of this writing was dated Dec. 19, almost a week old at this point.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

There is some discussion of the Samut Sakhon situation in the Dec. 19 report below, but obviously it's out of date by this point in time.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/situation/situation-no319-191263.pdf

The MoPH's main COVID webpage in EN also doesn't appear to be counting the Samut Sakhon cases either, at least in any of their confirmed case tallies, where they listed only 67 new confirmed cases as of Dec. 24.

Screenshot_1.jpg.d2eb00d31d1ca7eb9f268aeeaa9101eb.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, onthedarkside said:

And another MoPH website in EN where they don't appear to reflecting the Samut Sakhon cases, even though the site itself says it's been updated.

https://covid19.ddc.moph.go.th/en

Screenshot_2.jpg.243062eac31fd4942290fb522f8c6f0a.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg.033f4fd96687fe9311bc92029612f66a.jpg

You have to wonder what they are trying to prove.  Is saving FACE that much of an issue that they can not admit reality even when it bites them in the rear?

• Like 1

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30400165

58 new domestic cases, no countrywide lockdown for now

Dec 24. 2020

"The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration on Thursday (CCSA) reported 67 new cases – 58 domestic ones – over a 24-hour period, while spokesman Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin confirmed that there would not be a lockdown across the country for now.

Of the 58 domestic cases, 55 have been linked to the Samut Sakhon outbreak, one connected to the cluster in Tak province, and two patients who went to a crowded area.

The Department of Disease Control (DDC) will later report about tests on migrant workers."

Interesting comment:

The Department of Disease Control (DDC) will later report about tests on migrant workers.

The full version of the above article also has an explanation of what the new, different color coding schemes for different provinces mean. For example:

"The provinces coded orange – which signify more than 10 cases – presently consist of Bangkok, Ratchaburi, Samut Songkhram and Nakhon Pathom. These provinces are on full alert for any new infections."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand/thailand-confirms-67-new-coronavirus-infections-idUSKBN28Y0II

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand confirmed 67 new coronavirus infections on Thursday, of which nine were imported from overseas, the public health ministry said.

All but three of the 58 locally transmitted cases reported were linked to an outbreak discovered at the weekend at a seafood centre near the capital Bangkok, Taweesin Wisanuyothin, spokesman for the country’s COVID-19 taskforce, told a briefing.

Cases have been detected in 27 of the country’s provinces since last week. More than 1,300 infections have been linked to the seafood centre outbreak, the majority of those migrant workers from Myanmar.

Note the final paragraph above:

Cases have been detected in 27 of the country’s provinces since last week.

2 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

I agree.

From everything that I've read, a positivity rate of 44 percent is nothing short of horrifying.  

Very horrifying, people are dropping like flies everywhere.

For now they found more than 1000 cases and not even 1 death, very alarming considering 60 people dying everyday on the road.

• Like 1

https://apnews.com/article/international-news-public-health-myanmar-coronavirus-pandemic-prayuth-chan-ocha-a9d6b62d04316ae59a459380a934b245

Thailand confident coronavirus outbreak is controllable

BANGKOK (AP) — Thailand’s government is confident it can contain a major coronavirus resurgence without a national lockdown, instead relying on provincial controls as the outbreak mainly among migrant seafood workers continued to spread.

“I can assure that the government will do its best,” Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said in a live televised address after a meeting of the government’s COVID-19 coordinating center. “The Public Health Ministry confirms to me that it is controllable if everyone gives cooperation.”

New cases among migrant workers were not reported on Wednesday and Thursday, with the explanation that they were being rechecked.

13 minutes ago, onthedarkside said:

Cases have been detected in 27 of the country’s provinces since last week.

That is worrying in itself.  If you take the possibility of how fast this spread to just those provinces then there is a very good chance that this will be spreading to all provinces sooner or later without a shutdown or lockdown of the provinces in order o contain the spread.  We now have 7 more days where there will be a mass of people traveling from province to province for the Xmas and New Years holiday to be with family, friends or just on a domestic tourism vacation.  Scary in the fact that the Government does not seem overly concerned, or they do not want to panic the people.  I just spoke to a few friends in Udon Thani and they are very concerned that it will spread through the remote villages again and people will not go and seek medical treatment much like the beginning of the year when there was an excess of viral pneumonia and then deaths outside of hospitals. I personally lost 3 family members to illness and they just self medicated and had family care for them at home before they passed. Makes me really wonder what they are trying to do with this color coded scheme like California has, and knowing that that has not worked well at all.

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 hour ago, Anton9 said:

For now they found more than 1000 cases and not even 1 death, very alarming considering 60 people dying everyday on the road.

Yes, but the road deaths are different - it's something the officials can do nothing about, whereas Covid-19 they can make a lot of noise and "do things" that might have some effect. 

23 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Yes, but the road deaths are different - it's something the officials can do nothing about

of course they can do something.  take car if guilty of reckless driving.  ban cars, lol.  fines increased.  jail time.  ban more than 1 person on a motorbike or 10 years in jail...

it's just they don't do anything.....which means there really are no laws since almost nothing is enforced.  

if you were deported for not wearing a mask, and given 100,000 baht for  a picture of an expat not wearing a mask.......yea, they can do about anything.  

4 hours ago, Nout said:

I am aware of this. But you can't scare people away who are already here. Domestic tourists already live in Thailand so your comment about scaring (domestic) tourists away makes no sense.

Obviously you have no clue about what you are talking about

if you think Thai tourists can not be scared by the news about the virus

i recomand you to do few research about the number of reservations cancelled

(Hotels, restaurants ...) all done by Thai tourists in Thailand scared by the virus

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

(Hotels, restaurants ...) all done by Thai tourists in Thailand scared by the virus

Correct they are cancelling in masses. Worst time to happen as hotels and restaurants were about to have a prosperous new year.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, charmonman said:

What ever gave you the idea there weren't sick people during the first wave? I know of two people who ended up in the hospital from it in March.

So there was a first wave? Many people here will disagree because Thailand had an excellent response. Others disagree and say Thailand never tested so never found cases. I don't know which is true because we don't have access to good data from Thailand.

59 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

I think not all of cancellation were due to virus fear, I cancelled mine because I thought there will be a lockdown and didn't want to lose my money or get stucked outside Bkk.

3 hours ago, Anton9 said:

Yes, the horror.

A virus so bad, you need to be tested to even know you got it.

Its unfortunate that others who are already comprised with bad health/lifestyle choices are getting the worst of it

but in reality that has always been a fact of life,

If you dont look after yourself, you are more prone to get these things.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

So there was a first wave? Many people here will disagree because Thailand had an excellent response. Others disagree and say Thailand never tested so never found cases. I don't know which is true because we don't have access to good data from Thailand.

Yes, there was a first wave and they managed to control it with one of the most severe lockdowns of any country in the world. Thailand has done testing, not as much as many other countries for the simple reason that they didn't have many people showing up at hospitals with related symptoms after lockdown measures were put in place. The two cases I know of personally ended up in hospital before the lockdown was fully in place.

8 hours ago, Anton9 said:

Everyone goes to hospital if tested positive in Thailand, even people without symptoms(which are the majority).

Also, you can go to hospital even for a flu and it happened to me 2 years ago here in Bangkok(and I am in my early thirties)

Yes, and the two people I am talking about became very ill, went to the hospital, and tested positive for Covid-19, and recovered in hospital. I believe they both  spent a few days in ICU.

19 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

People were turning up sick at hospitals with CV19.  So, they did some testing.  If you don't have people turning up sick at hospitals with CV19, why test so much?  Only some 20-30% of people with CV19 are asymptomatic.  The rest have the typical symptoms, which require a test at the hospital to see if it's CV.

More tests = more data = more specific knowledge. 

Minimal testing is NOT a good way forward .

• Like 1