Floor for bridge over pond?

Tagged

I would use one of the cement board products. Weather resistant, easy to paint, etc etc. I certainly don't think it would cost anywhere near 25K.

I've used "SmartBoard" for a number of outside projects...extending privacy wall, etc...happy with how it held up

Edited by tonray
  • Like 1

By the size of it i would think you will use it for bigger(heavy)vehicles?

I would have a second look at how much your support posts can carry.

Make the footing a lot bigger!

The end of the ditch is also the border of your land?

I am not sure shera wood or other flooring products are meant for

heavy traffic,for walking on sure it would be ok.You must have your reasons for wanting a bridge in the first place but i do not see the need at all.

If just for walking/motorbike it could be a lot smaller/cheaper but for real heavy traffic it would not be strong enough the way it is now.

Edited by jvs
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, jvs said:

By the size of it i would think you will use it for bigger(heavy)vehicles?

I would have a second look at how much your support posts can carry.

Make the footing a lot bigger!

The end of the ditch is also the border of your land?

I am not sure shera wood or other flooring products are meant for

heavy traffic,for walking on sure it would be ok.You must have your reasons for wanting a bridge in the first place but i do not see the need at all.

If just for walking/motorbike it could be a lot smaller/cheaper but for real heavy traffic it would not be strong enough the way it is now.

The bridge will be shadow for parts of the pond (fish) and also a nice place to dine, kids to jump in the pond, and maybe in future make simple rooms for visitors, kind of bamboo style.  No heavy traffic, but the posts will be cemented. 

Above we will have shadow sail. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, prophet01 said:

I'm not sure what exactly is your point with that one liner post and I'd rather not second guess.

So I'd genuinely be grateful for clarification.

That wood used in building in Thailand is almost always termite food, so a bad choice of material. It is extremely expensive to get wood that is termite resistant and wood treatment is limited in its effectiveness and not guaranteed longevity especially outside.

But if you want to feed termites it’s your call. 

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That wood used in building in Thailand is almost always termite food, so a bad choice of material. It is extremely expensive to get wood that is termite resistant and wood treatment is limited in its effectiveness and not guaranteed longevity especially outside.

If you get it clear of ground like on my structure, you will have no problems with termites. 

Shera type cement board products DO  crack ,  even on a gate .   Seem to hold up best as siding or such on a house.      I like the stuff myself but would not use it anywhere that it will get traffic or such.   The stuff does expand and contract a bit as well !    Just a bit, but it happens,  and often craks at where it is screwed in .  On a bridge someone dropping something , even like a rice bag or whatever,  and   ooops.

IMO  best used for siding or decorative purposes ......

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, rumak said:

other than used for siding best to use thickest grade available and do not overtighten the fasteners 

We have more than 30 degrees in celsious differense here, so everything will live a life on its own. Especially the steel. Im tending more and more to wood, and the local wood here have been on the oldest houses for more than 50 eyars some places, and will start looking for a demolution project for the wood. Also look around in Thaiwatsadoo and see what they have there. 

12 minutes ago, Tagged said:

We have more than 30 degrees in celsious differense here, so everything will live a life on its own. Especially the steel. Im tending more and more to wood, and the local wood here have been on the oldest houses for more than 50 eyars some places, and will start looking for a demolution project for the wood. Also look around in Thaiwatsadoo and see what they have there. 

i would agree.  doesn't need to be the most expensive grade ,  but thickness is important as someone is bound to

decide to drive something over it if possible   lol        Put sheldrite in the posts that will be holding the bridge at

ground level,  keep an eye for termite tunnels every once in a while........ easy to keep termites away unless it sits unattended for any length of time.

Note:  of course finding some old hardwood flooring would be best , from an old house.  Usually a bit pricey though   ????

Edited by rumak
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Tagged said:

That is a nice bridge, very nice but for us a bit overkill. We live in the middle of the rice fields, and it is a farm and look like a farm. 

0C55E1BD-4108-4F6B-891E-D9AFAE80B2BF.jpeg

96333116-0FA9-447B-92A2-69B180056808.jpeg

Wasn' really suggesting to use any particular style of bridge just expressing my personal preference to use wood hence the included link to other styles. ????

15 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is great food for termites.

5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you want to allow your level of risk aversion to deter you from using what you might otherwise desire to use "it's your call".

Me, I'll stick with my chosen aesthetic, accept the reduced level of risk in using treated wood and address the issue of termite attack should it ever arise.

Edited by prophet01
because I can
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tagged said:

If you get it clear of ground like on my structure, you will have no problems with termites. 

55555 clear of the ground will only work if nothing is in ground contact, no steel, no concrete nothing. Termites will go through concrete and up steel. Just because you don’t have the wood in contact with the soil will not stop them. 

The house next door used wood only in the roof structure. The roof structure was destroyed by termites, that was about 3.5 metres clear of the ground.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prophet01 said:

If you want to allow your level of risk aversion to deter you from using what you might otherwise desire to use "it's your call".

Me, I'll stick with my chosen aesthetic, accept the reduced level of risk in using treated wood and address the issue of termite attack should it ever arise.

"In most cases, subterranean termites must be in contact with soil to receive the moisture they need to survive. However, the Formosan termite - an exotic species of subterranean termite - is an exception to the rule. Formosan termites can build aboveground nests, called cartons, inside walls and attics when there is enough moisture in the wood."      

yes,  use what you think best ...... for you  ????

Edited by rumak

15 minutes ago, rumak said:

"In most cases, subterranean termites must be in contact with soil to receive the moisture they need to survive. However, the Formosan termite - an exotic species of subterranean termite - is an exception to the rule. Formosan termites can build aboveground nests, called cartons, inside walls and attics when there is enough moisture in the wood."      

I don't see any walls or attic in the bridge shown,  but the guywholikestobeanexpert  on any comment i make is sure to continue proving his expertise.   his argumentative posts do prove one thing:   not someone i want to know.    thankfully i do not need to..............

For the guywholikestobeanexpert you clearly have a lot of Google expertise but little real world knowledge, as the majority of termites in Thailand, will build earth tunnels so have no need to  build above ground nests.

Since you don’t like to read real answers just use the block function and add me to your list.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

Just now, sometimewoodworker said:

For the guywholikestobeanexpert you clearly have a lot of Google expertise but little real world knowledge, as the majority of termites in Thailand, will build earth tunnels so have no need to  build above ground nests.

Since you don’t like to read real answers just use the block function and add me to your list.

ok    have a nice day        

7 hours ago, Tagged said:

Whatever material you decide to go with, which from your post wood is the most likely choice, please do post an image of the finished product.

• Like 1

before you explained that this was to be more of an overwater entertainment area, rather than the bridge you first described, I thought this guy must have been in Thailand too long, he is building a bridge with a power pole blocking access in the middle at one end !

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2020 at 12:40 PM, MikeN said:

before you explained that this was to be more of an overwater entertainment area, rather than the bridge you first described, I thought this guy must have been in Thailand too long, he is building a bridge with a power pole blocking access in the middle at one end !

It started out as a bridge to provide some shadow, and it escaleded a little bit 

Edited by Tagged